Quantcast

Torque Converter Clutch Drop Out, 98 Dodge Pickup 2500 Diesel

Yesterday, we had a 98 Dodge pickup 2500 diesel that the torque converter clutch would engage and disengage at 40-45 miles per hour, when warmed up. You could clearly see the converter clutch drop out and engage again on a scanner. The first thing we noticed during our visual inspection was that battery terminals were badly corroded. We cleaned them up, road tested extensivly and all is ok. Hard to believe! Like everyone says, always start with basics.

• 6 months later...

Yesterday, we had a 98 Dodge pickup 2500 diesel that the torque converter clutch would engage and disengage at 40-45 miles per hour, when warmed up. You could clearly see the converter clutch drop out and engage again on a scanner. The first thing we noticed during our visual inspection was that battery terminals were badly corroded. We cleaned them up, road tested extensivly and all is ok. Hard to believe! Like everyone says, always start with basics.

I once knew a guy at the dealer who followed the diagnostic tree for a o2 code, he replaced a harness a ECM 4 o2 sensors. A older tech rolled over and cleaned the grounds and the car was fixed, morall of the story. If you have odd electrical behaviors, clean the terminals.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      The word OSHA makes many shop owners cringe. 
      I was lucky enough years back to have my insurance agent suggest I perform a voluntary OSHA inspection. A private company did it at the time.   
      They found tons of violations; some we knew would be flagged, but most we did not. 
      Have you ever had an OSHA inspection? And what can shop owners do to protect themselves? 
    • By planestrainandcars
      780Ft Lbs.  The original monster. 
      CHECK OUT THE POWER
      Tested Working. See video in listing description. Refurbished Ingersoll Rand Impact, 1/2" anvil, cleaned with a brand new motor and fresh IR lubrication (Ingersoll Rand 107 and 67-4T greases). Ready to go for 10 more years.
      Includes Impact, Battery, and Charger.

• By Joe Marconi
      I recently read an article in Auto Success online, a publication for dealerships. It states that there is a market for used tires. I was never a fan of selling used tires. Link to article below. 
      Your thoughts? Comments? 

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest host and shop tour with Jeff and Shari Pheasant, A Master Mechanic, Reno, NV. Find out how a media story on converter theft led to Jeff collaborating with the local sheriff's department.
      Jeff Pheasant, A Master Mechanic, Reno, NV
      Shari Pheasant, Horse Power Strategies. Listen to Shari’s previous episodes HERE 
      Key Talking Points
      NAPA BDG group- Shari is the president  Cat Converter Theft- orange stencil with high heat to leave VIN number on has deterred thieves so far. Also has a “Property of U-Haul” stencil. Started with a media story   Installing and painting stencil- shops sign on with the sheriff's department program “It’s not about being a competitor, it’s about being an ally in the community.”  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By Joe Marconi
      Years ago, I had a "No rehire rule." My thinking back then: If someone quits and I rehire them, does that send the right message to the other employees? That they can leave and I would take them back?  However, we are in different times.
      Employees, especially techs, have left their jobs in recent years, lured away by better pay, in many cases. But, these employees soon realized that a job (a career) is not all about the paycheck. 
      What would you do if an employee came back to you, asking for re-employment? 

• Our Sponsors

Flash Sale + Social Proof