Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Answer a Question with a Question

Are you bombarded throughout the day with an endless stream of questions? Well, it just might be your fault. The more you allow yourself to be the “go to” guy when a question arises, the more your employees will come to you for answers. This can zap your energy and decrease your effectiveness for the tasks you need to get done.

Try this, when Tom the Tech approaches you with a question, instead of giving Tom the answer, throw the question back at him and ask him how he thinks the issue should be handled. If Tom says, I tried everything and can’t find the problem, ask him to tell you exactly what he did and review all his diagnostic procedures. Continue to ask Tom a series of questions and then ask him what he thinks we should we do next? This process allows Tom to work out the problem in his own mind and will help him with future problems.

You should do the same with service writers and other office staff. If your service writer comes to you with a question on how to handle an unhappy customer, ask the service a series of questions to get at the root of the problem. Your questions to the service writer need to be put in such a way that the service writer actually comes up with a solution by himself.

There will be times when you as the owner will need to make the final decision on some matters, but the more your staff is thinking and making decisions on their own, the stronger your business becomes.

One more thing, if you are worried about them making mistakes…they will. It’s all part of the learning process. The reason why you as the boss can make quick and decisive decisions is because you have been making a lot of decisions over the years, but also made a lot of mistakes too. But, knowledge is gained through each mistake.

So remember, answer a question with a question.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Shop Owners: You don’t have to answer every question for your employees

As shop owners, we sometimes feel that we need to answer every question and handle every situation. While you need to be proficient as a business owner, you also need your employees to think for themselves.  Empower your people to solve problem.  Ask them for their opinions and don’t be too quick to jump in on every situation.  The more you jump in and solve their problems, the more they will rely on you. This is not to say you don’t have their back; but a team functions best when everyone takes ownership of their position and takes responsibility to take care of problems. Will employees make mistakes? Yes.  But there isn’t a shop owner on this planet that has a perfect record at making decisions.  We all make mistakes. As a shop owner; teach, mentor and coach.  Include your employees in on decisions that relate to their job position.  When employees feel you trust them, they will begin to solve their own problems. This will set you free to work on the things that will bring you greater success.

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 2 replies
    • A FEW QUESTIONS FOR 4 BAY SHOP BUSINESS OWNERS

How many of you have a four bay shop ? If you do how many techs do you have ? What is your average sales weekly , monthly ? What do you spend in advertising ? What was your sales in 2017 ? I am using this shop as a guide for those who would like to follow and see real time progress. For those interested just answer the questions so you and I can see what your strong points and if and where you may have areas for improvement.   

By Stevens Automotive Service, in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 2 replies
    • Best Interview Question?

I was wondering what is your best interview question? I know the collective mind of ASO is full of wisdom and great ideas. Maybe the best interview question you SHOULD have asked. I figure by the end of this thread we will all have a few fresh questions for that next applicant.

By Shopcat, in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 3 replies
    • New Employees Needed

I need to find some employees fast and I am having no luck, anyone willing to help me write an advertisement or help me with postings, over the phone or through e-mail, please let me know. Just found this, not feeling good about this. https://www.indeed.com/forum/job/automotive-technician/can-t-do-it-anymore/t459836

By Hands On, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 9 replies
    • FAQ ... SOME COMMON SENSE ANSWERS

After looking and reading some posts Here are some quick answers to some of them. Charging for Diagnostic time... Absolutely and is easy done.  Fleet Customers.. Absolutely if you have the man power and shop to handle them. Be careful , you can loose them if your not equipped to support the amount of work. Do your homework. Damage and misfortune to a customers vehicle while in your care... If it's your fault just fix it. If not assess and address it quickly, the sooner the better.  Know your Business not just part of it... Know it inside and out. Knowing your fixed cost is a must.  Spend Wisely ..It takes money to make money keep it balanced , don't invest without returns. Advertise Wisely....Quick example : If you are around a large place of business where people work , Hospital, Shopping Mall, Manufacturing Plant Etc there are just a few suggestions of gaining customers for next to nothing cost, to attain those customers. A promotion on a business size card and NO, you don't have to discount a thing.  Dealing with employees ..On cell phones , drugs etc whatever you don't address you condone!   Hope this helps  Need help with anything, I am a phone call or email away ! Dan Stevens  Stevens Automotive Services      

By Stevens Automotive Service, in Shop Management Coaching, Business Training, Consulting

• 0 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors