Quantcast

Time Management Strategies

There are all kinds of devices and technologies around to help you save time. But the more things there are to save time, the more it seems like we don’t have enough. Everyone could use a little help getting more done, so here are a few tips on help you manage your time wisely and fit more into your day.

To be the most productive, try making a plan. Each project you take on, be sure to plan it out ahead of time. Include each step you’re going to need to take, and who and what you need to get it done.

Once you have an overall plan, use this to make a plan at the beginning of each day. Before you do anything in the morning, make a list of what you need to get done that day.

They say that if you start each day by eating a live frog, nothing else you do that day will seem that bad. While you’re probably not going to actually eat live animals, this is a great philosophy to use in your life.

Start each day by picking the hardest thing on your to-do list, the thing you’re really dreading. Once you get that thing done, everything else in the day will seem much simpler. Plus, the feeling of accomplishment will energize you and help keep you focused throughout the day.

If you’re easily distracted and nothing seems to be working to stop that, try removing the distractions totally. If you keep playing video games, go somewhere without internet access or a TV. If you keep getting distracted by the kids, work while they’re at school or when someone else is there to take care of them. The whole point is that not having distractions is much easier than ignoring them.

If you have trouble starting work or keeping on task, get a buddy to help you. The biggest problem most people have is keeping to deadlines. If you don’t have someone to report to, like a boss or manager, then you have less reason to get things done. Ask a friend or family member to check on your work and push you to keep going or get started. If you feel accountable, you’ll get more done in less time.

One of the best things you can do to get more done in your day is to take breaks. While it seems counter-intuitive, giving yourself a rest every so often helps you re-energize and make better use of the time you do have. Whether it be taking the occasional weekend off, doing some yoga or deep breathing during the day, or just sitting in a quiet room drinking your coffee, you need to take some time to recharge.

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”