Quantcast

Flash Sale + Social Proof

Expand business or just be happy?

Hi everyone, I joined this site a few months ago looking for some ideas to help my business and have gotten many good ideas from here. However I am in a situation that I am hoping some of you have been in before, and am hoping that I may receive some help. We are going into our second year of being in open and have seen a pretty good increase in sales this last year. I am a young and have read that some of you were also young when you started your shops (I will be 27 in March).

Let me lay a little ground work so you know what the circumstances are, we are located in the same building as a used car lot that has been there for 18 years and has a very good reputation around town, and have gotten a lot of customers from that. Unfortunately I don't think that we can grow the business any more without expanding the building, you see our current facility is 2 bays one of which has a hoist, the other is a flat stall that the car lot uses for detailing cars and occasionally I use for repairs. The other problem is that I am the only one running the repair business and working on cars.

I do have a business partner that also owns the car lot, so anything that I do usually gets run past him before I do it. I guess what I am looking for is some ideas as to what direction we should go with the business, you all seem like you have been through some things in the business that you may be able to offer some suggestions. I believe that to grow the business we at least need to expand the building and add at least one employee. What are any of your thoughts?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Eric

general heavy-duty 728x90

general heavy-duty 468x60

general heavy-duty 250x250

Eric, if you want to grow and thrive in this business you will need to expand. With your present situation, it will very difficult to increase sales and productivity. Even with the addition of another tech. You need to look into expanding your bays or finding a new location. If you find a new location, try to go as big as possible. Trust me, I have been in business for 29 years and having bay space is a distinct advantage.

Another recommendation I can make is to slowly remove yourself from the bays and into the office. Or get someone who can run the service counter. I used to think that no one could do as good a job as I could. That’s bull! There are good people out, find them!

Your mindset will also dictate your ability to grow. If you go to work everyday and your focus is on fixing cars, you will become very good at that. You need to go to work with the mindset on growing your business. If your focus is on that, you will eventually become good at growing your business.

I am in the process right now of expanding my shop. We are going from 6 bays to 10. It’s a huge undertaking, but one that I believe will be my retirement.

You can read my blog (Joe’s blog) about the process of expanding. Good Luck!

Joe Marconi

Joe, I think that you are absolutely correct, my feeling is that either I need to expand or I may as well close the shop. We just finished our second year of business and our net profit was more than double from last year, so I am excited, however I would like to continue to keep that going and I am afraid that without adding on there will be no hope of that happening. I am kind of overwhelmed right now trying to do mostly everything by myself, so I am hoping to get some advice and guidance from some other professionals in the business. Joe, I really appreciate the reply and I think that it is great advice, I just need to do some acting on that advice. Thanks for the help and good luck with the new building. Eric

I'm glad to hear that you understand the need for growth. One thing to remember, create a stradegy for steady, contiunous growth. It's not one thing you do that will make your business a sucess. It's a combination of everything you do. Work hard on your business and understand the numbers.

Like Walt Disney said; "Dare to Dream"