Quantcast

Dealing with BAD Customer Service: How to Handle It When You Expand Your Business

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable. 
  • Similar Topics

• By bantar
      By Hunt Demarest.    I heard about this guy, but only vaguely.  He was on my eventual to-listen-to list, but it hadn't bubbled up.  Who wants to listen to an accounting podcast????    Well, the timing was right and I saw a new Podcast entitled "Accounting for Internal and Warranty Work".  I listened and was pleasantly surprised.   First, a shout-out to Hunt.  He's not boring.  This is very important as I normally listen to these while commuting.  I don't want to fall asleep while driving!  He's likeable, and he covers his subjects quite well    After listening to this podcast, I immediately revamped my Warranty Work accounting method.   I know knew WHY it was important to follow his process for dealing with warranty work.  Previously, we just ate the costs and didn't document them religiously.   I spent the time to fix up all of 2022 with some correcting journal entries.
      His CPA firm focuses on auto-shops.  It seems that he is crowd-sourcing his topics by asking for topics or creating topics from frequently asked questions.  There was a podcast on advertising.  How much should you spend?  Is zero enough?  Is 100K monthly enough?   There was another on Tax Tips and common questions, such as "Can I pay for my goomah with business funds?"  (OK, not really, but you get the picture).  Where are the legal boundaries with taxes?  What qualifies and what doesn't?  Is accelerated depreciation best?
      TLDR:  Great podcast.  Not boring, in spite of being accounting.  Auto Shop focused.   I recommend that you listen.
    • By carmcapriotto
      This week Hunt talks about incentivizing key employees with profit sharing and how to hold them accountable for the overall company and its profits. 
      How to motivate key employees to think like owners Pros and cons of giving key employees minority ownership What are alternative options for incentivization? Caveats for expansion and/or quick growth   
      The Show is sponsored by:

Shop-Ware on the web at getshopware.com
      NAPA Auto Care Repair Shop of Tomorrow at https://repairshopoftomorrow.com
      Hunt Demarest, CPA
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online : www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book : Download Here
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      This week, Hunt talks about ROI (return on investment) and how to use it in your day-to-day decisions.
      • What is ROI, and how can you calculate it?
      • How does time relate to ROI and can your decision be changed based on time even if ROI is the same?
      • How does your involvement in an investment dictate what the ROI has to be to make it a prudent choice?
      • How can you use ROI to make day-to-day decisions in your business and personal life?
      The Show is sponsored by:
      Shop-Ware on the web at getshopware.com
      NAPA Auto Care Repair Shop of Tomorrow at https://repairshopoftomorrow.com
      Hunt Demarest, CPA
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online : www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book : Download Here
    • By carmcapriotto
      We are on Part 2 of our Service Advisor Overload discussion because we couldn't fit it all into 1 episode! How ironic! Did you know most shops are missing $300-500k in gross profit dollars because their service advisor doesn't have the time to tap into those dollars? You must build a wall of support around your service advisor.
      Dave Schedin, CompuTrek Automotive Management Systems. Dave’s previous episodes HERE Clint White, Service Advisor Coach & Shop Consultant with CWI and currently holds multiple ASE certifications. Listen to Clint’s previous episodes HERE Murray Voth, RPM Training. Listen to Murray’s previous episodes HERE
      Show Notes:
      Service Advisor Overload [THA 305] Don’t have your advisors do your job as a shop owner- create the environment for success VOIP phone systems for a streamlined process Don’t have one email for the whole shop! Are your advisors doing things manually when they could be automated? “Appointment Request” for the website Alert the customer of the progress (text capabilities) Pre-booking- preventative maintenance, tire changeovers during downtime of the year Are you “wing it” automotive? What is your onboarding system for an advisor? What are their holes from a behavioral standpoint?  Soft skills KPIs for service advisors? Measure, track, gauge and improve Be professional- leave the drama at home Accountability coach Understand the probabilities of each department in your shop- don’t mask it all together. Slowly growing into an overload- it doesn’t happen overnight. Eliminate Diversity Overkill- stick with what you’re good at! Fireflies.AI
      Thanks to our Partners Shop-Ware and Delphi Technologies Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Connect with the Podcast
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books

• By carmcapriotto
      If you want to get a good fight started in the automotive industry, all you have to do is start a discussion about coupons or discounts. In this episode, we dig into the topic. Should you use coupons in your marketing strategy?
      Thank you to our friends at RepairPal for providing you with this episode. As shop owners, we were part of RepairPal’s Certified network, and you can learn more at RepairPal.com/shops.
      Talking Points
      Should you use coupons in your marketing strategy? Will they bring you more clients? What type of client are you trying to attract? Are you good at converting “coupon customers” into lifelong customers? If you do use coupons, what are some promotions you can do? Can coupons be successful with high-end clients? If you don’t want to do discounts but do want to run promotions, what are some ideas?  
      Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)

$100M Offers by Alex Hormozi  
      How To Get In Touch

Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 
      Thanks to our partner, RepairPal. Visit the Web HERE

• Similar Tagged Content

• By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,