Quantcast

[Podcast] RR 435: Young Careers In The Making – Automotive College Student Panel at CarFest 2019

The Panel:

• Ashlynn Poole from St. Philips College, San Antonio
  • Cheyanne Keith from Southern Careers Institute
  • Michael Wheeler from TSTC, Waco, TX

Key Talking Points:

• Takeaways- draining rear differential, working on automotivecar vs diesel, learning to get feel for the repair with your hands and not solely rely on your eyes
  • Motivation to enter automotive industry schooling- enjoy working with hands and taking things apart, being involved with lab work, passion for learning and apply what you learn  
  • Career options- not just technician, can sell parts, design parts, trainer
  • Owning their shop one day is a goal. This goal has an entrepreneurial drive
    • Michael wants to be the leader of the pack
  • Reliable safety transportation business- a new spin on automotive perspective
  • 50% of first-year students leaving the program
  • These students say ‘bring it on’ new technology does not scare them
  • Paid dealership training for Cheyanne
  • OE dealerships/brands continue to create internship programs for college automotive students

Automotive Students have a special series just form them. Listen HERE.

Previous CarFest Episodes HERE.

Resources:

• Thanks to Ashlynn Poole,  Michael Wheeler and Cheyanne Keith for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
  • Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
  • Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.

Listen-To-Learn-TRANS.png

Subscribe-to-the-INSIDER-Newsletter-6.pn

Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Facebook   Twitter   Linked In    Email    Events    Speaking

Subscribe to a mobile listening app HERE.

App-Rendering-16.png

The NAPA Smart Sign, previously known as Digital Menu Board, gives your shop a professional, state-of-the-art look and feel. It’s a great way to educate and inform your customers about needed repairs and service, plus increase awareness of your current promotions. NAPA AutoCare Center that has installed a Digital Menu Board found one out of five consumers ask for a repair or service they’ve seen on the board. NAPA-AutoCare-Logo-Vert-A.gifTargeted promotions resulted in double-digit increases. You choose the content from a library of auto care service and repair topics. The latest NAPA national promotions are downloaded to you automatically. And with the Digital Menu Board it’s easy to change your services, prices, and video content anytime you’d like. Talk to your servicing NAPA store to find out more.

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By Transmission Repair

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Find out how the movie Mrs. Doubtfire relates to the automotive industry. Matt Fanslow explores the motivation behind self-improvement and giving credit when using someone else's knowledge or ideas.
      Show Notes
      Mrs. Doubtfire Movie Analysis (00:01:05) Analysis of the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire" and its characters, discussing the dynamics of the relationships and the impact on the main character's behavior. Motivation and Improvement (00:03:23) Exploration of the motivation to improve, drawing parallels from the movie's characters and their impact on personal growth. Learning from Others (00:09:30) Discussion about learning from colleagues and other professionals in the automotive repair industry, focusing on gaining inspiration and improving skills. Robin Williams and Improvisation (00:13:48) Reflection on the comedic genius of Robin Williams and his unique improvisational skills, leading to a discussion about his impact on the comedy community. Robin Williams' Legacy (00:16:16) Reflection on the impact of Robin Williams' passing and his reputation in the comedy world, addressing the complexities of his suicide and the issue of joke theft in comedy. Giving Credit to Intellectual Property (00:18:47) Importance of referencing and giving credit when using someone else's knowledge or ideas.  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

• By Changing The Industry
      Live Training from Caldwell Community College
    • By Changing The Industry
      Live Training from Caldwell Community College
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this episode of the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast, host Kim Walker discusses the topic of attracting college students as customers for automotive repair shops. She shares her conversation with Lucas Underwood, owner of L&N Automotive, who plans to send direct mail to college students offering a free oil change every other oil change they pay for. Kim emphasizes the importance of building trust with both students and their parents, and suggests conducting audience research to understand their preferences and expectations. Kim also offers strategies such as hosting car care clinics, creating digital business cards, and engaging with students through social media and events.
      Thank you to our friends at RepairPal for this episode. RepairPal will introduce your shop to new customers through repairpal.com, the largest site for auto repair. Learn more at
      RepairPal.com/shops.
      Show Notes with Timestamps
      Attracting College Students (00:01:16) Discussion on how a shop owner is reaching out to college students through direct mail and building relationships with them and their parents. Understanding the College Student Audience (00:03:51) Exploration of the college student population in the speaker's town and the potential research and survey methods to understand their preferences and expectations. Connecting with College Students (00:06:18) Suggestions on how to connect with college students, including finding out their interests, clubs, and organizations, and understanding their automotive knowledge and preferences. Teaching College Students Car Care (00:09:12) Discussion on the importance of teaching college students basic car care skills and ways to effectively educate them. Engaging College Students with Food and Coffee (00:10:26) Exploring the idea of using food and coffee as incentives to engage college students and hosting Q&A or mechanic tech talk sessions. Connecting College Students to the Local Community (00:15:08) Suggesting ways to partner with local businesses and organizations to help college students become familiar with and connect to their local community. Building Loyalty with Students (00:16:36) Creating an app-based oil change club and offering a buy one, get one free oil change to build relationships and loyalty with students. Creating a Digital Business Card (00:17:40) Using a QR code to create a digital business card that students can easily add to their contacts, making it convenient for them to reach out for automotive services. Engaging Students through Workshops and Social Media (00:19:50) Utilizing seminars, workshops, and a "what if" social media campaign to position the shop as experts and build trust with students. Sponsoring Events to Reach College Students (00:25:04) Discussion on sponsoring pizza nights, coffee mornings, and pool parties at apartment complexes to get your name in front of college students. Hosting Ladies Automotive Clinic (00:26:13) Exploring the idea of hosting a ladies automotive clinic for college students to learn more about vehicle and automotive care. Expanding Your Audience to College Students (00:27:23) Encouragement to consider attracting college students as an audience and offering to answer marketing questions related to this demographic.  
      How To Get In Touch

Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 

Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)
      HiHello Southeastern Louisiana University - Auto 101 Clinic for Students Womens Auto Mechanic Nail Salon Shop - Girls Auto Clinic  

• Our Sponsors