Quantcast

Zeus, Snap-on has said they will remain with the windows 7 platform on Zeus after the end of life 1/2020. No upgrades to Win 10. Any insight on tool impact, If any?

EOL of Windows 7 means that you won't be getting any further updates from the Microsoft.   This should only impact you on security, meaning that you device is subject to being hacked as new loopholes are found on Windows 7.   I don't know this platform, but likely it is just a hardened tablet computer with a custom keypad (buttons) maybe.   If your system gets hacked, Snapon should be able to wipe it clean and reinstall.  You'll be down, but not dead.   In a closed environment (i.e. this is not a generic PC with other applications running), then SnapOn can likely work around any (non-security) issues that occur over time.   There is an advantage to SnapOn having a frozen version of the OS.    Every Windows update introduces new bugs that sometimes affects SnapOn.   With no more OS updates coming, it actually removes a pain point for them.

IMO, I would not worry about this.   SnapOn is an application developer.  They depend on the OS, but they are not needing W10 features if they are staying put.  If Windows 7 ever becomes a hindrance to SnapOn, they can always bite the bullet and move on.   It's easily solved with time and money (and knowing SnapOn, they extract said money from you).   (Source:  My previous career was Software Development including Embedded Systems (custom hardware).  Of course, this is all conjecture, but it should be on point).

Let me drive the point home.   My lovely Opus / ESP inspection machines are running Windows XP.   We have interesting problems such as the floppy disk getting full, requiring a maintenance call to resolve.   It only uses printers that have a physical Centronics Parallel Port connection on them.   I'd be happy with an upgrade that let me run a USB printer at least, but that's not coming.   These guys do 100's of transactions monthly and are getting the job done.  They are attached to the network, so they suffer the same security measures that you would with an old version of Windows 7.image.png.da9dc05d35f541e4a313eeab3564a9e4.png

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

• By Joe Marconi in Joe's Blog
      Typically, when productivity suffers, the shop owner or manager directs their attention to the technicians. Are they doing all they can do to maintain high billable hours? Are they as efficient as they can be?  Is there time being wasted throughout the technician’s day? 
      All these reasons factor into production problems, but before we point fingers at the technicians, let’s consider a few other factors.
      Are estimates being written properly? Are labor testing and inspections being billed out correctly? Are you charging enough for testing and inspecting, especially for highly specialized electrical, on-board computer issues, and other complex drivability work?  Is there a clear workflow process everyone follows that details every step from the write-up to vehicle delivery? Do you track comebacks, and is that affecting production?  Is the shop layout not conducive to high production? For example, is it unorganized, where shop tools, technical information, and equipment are not easily accessible to every technician?  Are you charging the correct labor rate and allowing for variables such as rust, vehicle age, and the fact that most labor guides are wrong? Also, is there effective communication between the tech and the service advisor to ensure that extra labor time is accounted for and billed to the customer? These are a few of the top reasons for low productivity problems. There are others, but the main point is to look at the entire operation. Productivity is a team effort.  Blaming the techs or other staff members does not get to the root cause in most cases.
      Maintaining adequate production levels is the responsibility of management to create the processes that will lead to high production while holding everyone accountable. 
  • Similar Topics

• By TTP

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi
      Digital Vehicle Inspections (DVI) are becoming more and more common these days. I think this is a good thing. 
      What I am concerned about is how the the DVI report is being used.  I am not a fan of sending the digital report to the customer to be used in place of the service advisor speaking and explaining the results of the report first.  Would a doctor send the MRI, lab tests, and x-rays directly to the patient without the doctor first discussing the results?  In fact, there are times when the doctor never shows the report results. 
      In my opinion, the DVI is a tool, and it's not meant to take the place of good old fashion person to person discussion, which is called customer service.
      Agree? Disagree?  

• By carmcapriotto
      For my 5th episode with Paul ‘Scanner’ Danner, we sat in the ASTE studio and caught up on his life, his world. There are some great pictures if you watch the video version of the episode of him in 1994 and now. He reminisces about his Dodge Power Wagon, his family, and the Scanner Danner Brand. Paul was at ASTE to learn and continue to hone his craft. Paul has his son working with him in the creative process to keep ‘Scanner Danner’ relevant and up to date. Paul Danner, ScannerDanner. Listen to Paul’s previous episodes HERE. Key Talking Points
      When you teach you learn and you have to continue to learn Ask yourself why when you come across problems as a technician and learn the answer Video editing- 40 hours for 4-hour video  Started filming for his students that would reinforce the topic of his training  ScannerDanner- one of his female students called him that from having scanner in his hands  Teaching at Rosedale Technical College- he is a substitute and guest speaker   Interested in teaching? The industry needs enthusiastic and young trainers to teach the younger generation. If you are burned out, teaching isn’t for you Paul works out of his brother’s shop- the original shop owners opened in 1993, and it was the first shop paul worked for. A year later, Paul got his brother a job at the shop. Now his brother is the owner.  In 1994 Paul had a dodge power wagon- found another one, and now has his ‘old girlfriend back’ and is enjoying taking rides down memory lane with his wife
      Connect with the Podcast: Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partner: Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Do This At AAPEX 2022 and Any Trade Show
    • By carmcapriotto
      The gang’s all here; we have the entire Aftermarket Radio Network together for an important episode inspired by the movie Moneyball. We all have experience with people who are not our top performers, but are we better to have them on the team than not? You know them; they are consistent, reliable, steady, and contributors. Are they worth replacing? Will they become the best or top performers, or do they help strengthen our overall performance? A great discussion among your peers.
      Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast
      Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast
      Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast
      Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast
      Key Talking Points
      What REALLY contributes to production? Simpson Paradox Simon Sinec points out that Navy Seal teams value Trustworthiness far, far more than Performance.  VIDEO HERE  Tech productivity is one of the most important aspects of business, but how can these numbers skew what that employee is really doing (helping others, sharing duties outside of production, etc.) Are there some numbers or metrics that actually can look too good, which could cause an issue for growth or retention Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes can be misleading. Do your numbers match up with what you are trying to do with the business? You have to have your head up and eyes wide open to make sure you can identify the "doers" in your group.  Do you have a scorecard for success for your technicians? Pay plans; incentive greatness Who are your ‘support people' to contribute and make the whole picture better Culture is contagious Training when hiring- Weaknesses- be honest with eachother Fine balance- profitability aspect, you can’t have a shop full of unicorns Removing obstacles  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,

By nptrb, in Automotive Industry,

• Our Sponsors