Quantcast

Do you guarantee results from your diagnostic time?

I think we all know that diagnostics is the most costly service we provide in the automotive repair business today. In today's automotive repair environment, you need to be selling diagnostics, and getting paid for it. I'm looking for feedback on when things don't go exactly as planned. 

Let's say a car comes in and you sell some diagnostics, by the hour, or from a menu. After you complete that work, and you still don't have an answer, do you go back to the customer and sell some more? Do you continue at your expense? If you do go back to the customer, and you have nothing conclusive after that, then what? Do you keep going back and selling more diagnostic work until you solve the problem? If you continue to go back and sell more, how many times can you do that? We've all had that car that we've worked on for weeks to find some strange problem. I doubt many customers are willing to pay for the 40 hours you spent on the car.

Now lets say after 5 hours of work that the customer agreed to, you are no closer to finding the issue than when the car came in. Do you charge them for the 5 hours and send them down the road even though you have not provided them with a diagnoses? Do you start spending your time trying to solve the issue because you have a hard time charging for 5 hours and are unable to provide any answers?

I'm asking these questions as I am rethinking my business strategy on diagnostics a little. Our shop is known for its abilities to diagnose problems. We have other shops bringing cars to us on a regular basis because of these abilities. I actually get several calls and emails weekly from across the county for help diagnosing problems. There are times, a lot of times, when I think this is more of a curse, than a blessing. I know we are in the business of fixing cars, and we need to be able to find problems if customers are going to keep coming back. But after my lead tech and I spent a considerable amount of time over the last 15 days diagnosing the strangest intermittent no start issue on an Audi, and watching his frustration grow everyday, not because of the difficulty of the issue as we both love the challenge, but because it held him back from addressing the other work that was coming in the shop. 

So, as rewarding as it was to solve that mystery, I can't help but look back at what it cost me financially, and the frustration to the technician, and realize we have to come up with a way to try to avoid going down those rabbit holes. Right now my idea is to give it 1 hour. If after an hour, we are not relatively certain that we will find the issue, with another hour or two, then let the car go. Let the customer know that it's not that we can't fix the car, but that we cannot fix it efficiently. If I lose that customer, it would probably still be cheaper that working on his car for 2 weeks.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Scott   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Mobile diagnostics- made personal flyers online, offered discounts in the beginning so the shop could see what he offered and view him as an asset. Word of mouth quickly picked up.  Advice- having the proper “It” factor, basic fundamentals, you’re the expert and last resort for shops, Investments- start small with what tools you already have and add on as you go. Training- it is their future, training isn’t an “easy button.” Learn something new every day or else you are falling behind.  ADAS- Brandon has secured a warehouse and will be investing in ADAS.  Started experimenting making tools- interest grew and started using 3D printer, sells online  Jarheaddiag.com Connect with the show:
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  AAPEX 2021 is in the record books and lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm
      Brandon Dills, Owner, Jarhead Diagnostics. Jarhead Diagnostics is a veteran-owned and operated automotive diagnostic company. The owner Brandon has an extensive background in both aviation and automotive diagnostic repairs. They specialize in advanced diagnostic strategies, as well as manufacturing and selling top-quality diagnostic equipment.

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ScottyP
      Long story but I need to know what this green wire is for or what circuit it's in. It's the harness in the left rear of the car that goes from underneath up into the left quarter panel. 
      Thanks and Happy New Year, hope your shop is doing great!

• By Auto Fidelity Group
      Are you asking the right questions Are you overthinking the problem. At the body shop level most problems are very different than the seemingly similar problems in ADAS service. The difference might be that the car in the Bodyshop had something pulled, twisted, stretched or ripped.  

Experienced techs have stories and examples that shows even they can spend hours to find a repair that takes minutes  

Because things happen you gain knowledge but with the boss nipping at you buttocks you might want to describe your problem. If I or any other techs can help we will give you a leg up. 

• By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Hybrid training- virtual training brought in a new group of people with free videos and easy access to top instructors. The median income for technicians is $45,000. It starts with the business owner raising rates and paying for training.  Participate together- get the team together for online webinars  Cons of virtual- you can’t read the audience virtually, dead air. Live classes- make it interactive and fun. If you don’t make it fun you’ll lose them especially if it’s their first time going to training. Create a short ‘post test’ for after the training.  Implementing training immediately or it will be lost- recorded videos can be rewatched.  Consider signed agreement/reward system for training to hold employees accountable. Basics are the most important or you won’t be able to grasp the high-end training Sponsors- brand exposure, the content is led by the trainer Do the salespeople need to be the ones to elevate shop owners?  Classes vs seminars- in classes you are learning in order to implement Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books

This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  AAPEX 2021 is in the record books and lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on Las Vegas in 2022. Mark your calendar now … November 1-3, 2022, AAPEX - Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm
      Pete Meier began writing for Motor Age magazine in 2006 as a free-lance contributor and joined the magazine full-time in 2010 as Technical Editor. He is an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician, with over 35 years of experience working on a wide variety of brands. He is experienced in the classroom and training center, both as a training developer and presenter. His ten years of experience producing video content and streaming webinars have also helped develop skills in video production from concept to final product. Listen to Pete's other episodes HERE
      G Jerry Truglia is well known for his automotive training through his company ATTS: Automotive Technician Training Services, where he covers topics ranging from hybrid vehicles, electricity, to Heavy Duty Truck repair. G is also a very proud founding member of the non-for profit Technician Service Training group. G Jerry Truglia Previous Episodes HERE.

• By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Processes can set you free- processes don’t fail, people do Have faith in your team Never underestimate what a negative individual can do to your culture- do you allow/support negative behavior? Sometimes you won’t notice it until you remove the negative attitude. “It’s about time.” If it brings you stress at home, change was needed a long time ago Listen to the indicators- Hiring process- more filters Do you feel like you’re walking on eggshells? Understand most customers do not feel comfortable giving negative feedback Jim noticed the female customers did not like the service writer  Never take for granted your customers will always be happy “It’s not that I don’t care, it’s just that I don’t care.” Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day. Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click. When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review. Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/chat to learn more.
      The Panel
      Jim Shukys, Jimyz Automotive, Streetsboro, OH
      Corey Evaldi, Olmstead Auto Care, Olstead Falls, OH. Corey Evaldi grew up in Buffalo, NY (Lackawanna). He owns Olmstead Auto Care, Olmstead Falls, OH.  His dad had his own auto repair shop before Corey was even born. In 1988, he built the shop that is still in business today. He started to enjoy the electronics and troubleshooting of vehicles really young. During his junior and senior year of high school, He went to Potter Road Career and Technical Center and took the Automotive programs. His senior year had an automotive competition at ECC, local community college. In 2015 he returned and was overwhelmed with the responsibilities of running a shop. he was a technician, service writer, accountant, clean up person, the fireman that extinguished fires all over. He could not keep doing what he was doing. He produced 40% of the billed hours out of 4 techs. He looked for help. Found a coaching firm that really showed him what a business owner looks like. After implementing the changes, there was extreme pushback from the existing crew. After standing firm on most things, change over was inevitable. Listen to Corey’s Episodes HERE.

• By champtires, in Automotive Industry,

By Joe Marconi, in Automotive Management,

• Our Sponsors