Quantcast

Duramax DEF Limp Mode

Had one of my good customers drive up in 13 GMC 3500 duramax in limp mode. Scanned it, DEF heater code . replaced the heater went to reset with Verus , still in limp mode. I send to dealer to resett DEF, they say looks like bed ECM/BCM . I go pick up truck/ reflash at my shop with J box, take to another local diesal guy we go in with these snap on scanners, still nothing. Customer starting to get irritated about this, not pissed at me me just the whole def thing. He says, i am going to drive it 50 miles to this guy who can turn this def stuff off. I say, have at it. I was looking online at a Corvette forum about a cloned Tech 2 he purchased on Fleabay. I was like ,wth, so i 2 day aired me this $380 tech 2 scanner to my house. I literally walk out to the truck unbox this thing ,I have never used a tech 2 in my life. Go right into the heater codes , reset the 3 heaters and bingo no DEF light , vehicle is out of limp mode. I am sitting here typing this going why in the world would I pay 6 grand for a verus that will not reset a DEF light. My mind is really thinking now. My Snap on guy is a great guy although I am about to go at it with Snap On . This is crazy to me. I have zero confidence in this machine today. I really think this industry is changing so fast, it is warp speed !!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By danilredko
      Hello everyone, 

I have an idea of a software that can be used to charge a customer a monthly fee. 

For example, you could have different tiers: 

Maintenance Lite - 15$ a month: low monthly payment for all of the conventional oil changes required by the average driver each year.

Maintenance Basic - 20$ a month: Maintenance Basic includes everything you'll find in Lite, but adds... Unlimited Synthetic Oil Changes (as needed), On Rim (Seasonal) Tire Rotations (as needed), Complimentary Re-Torquing after changeover.

Maintenance Plus - 40$ a month:  includes all services from Ultimate Maintenance Basic, plus the following...
      - Off Rim Seasonal Tire Rotations (as needed)
      - Seasonal Tire Storage
      - Flat-Tire Repair (excluding roadside assistance)
      - Up to four General Service Calls (diagnoses, bulb replacements, filters, etc...)
      - Battery Boost/Replacement (excluding roadside assistance)
      - Priority Scheduling Service (For seasonal tire changeover)

What do you think about it? 

Thank you! 
    • By carmcapriotto
      Brittany Schindler, GM of her father’s shop in Rod’s Japanese Auto Care in Bellingham, WA for over 10 years. She loves working at the shop and being able to help people every day. Brittany has learned so much over the years by going to classes with great trainers and having a great business coach. One of her main focuses is to raise the standard of the automotive service and repair industry.
      Listen to Brittany's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      No prices over the phone- This can be challenging at first. Giving prices can be wrong or misleading depending on the vehicle. Instead explain why prices can vary, ask them to come in first, explain warranty, DVI’s, rental cars, etc. Vet the customer- are they looking for the cheapest price? Not every customer is right for your business. Performing the best digital inspections so your customers don't have to google anything and be consistent. Continue to simplify the writing so someone who doesn’t know anything about cars can understand and learn about their vehicle. Add “what happens if you don’t do XYZ” Write and edit inspections/customer reviews with your whole team for team buy-in. Getting customers to fix their "old" cars- list pros and cons of getting new/used cars. Make the investment and let them know the vehicle will be maintained properly, the laundry list won’t grow and be behind. Selling Maintenance- oil changes, fluid changes etc. It is an easy win once everyone has to buy in for selling maintenance. Educate customers on why fluid changes are important. Cheaper to change fluid than change apart Making customers feel confident about repairs- texting DVI, lifetime warranty, “what to expect” card at dropoffs Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Check out today's partners:
      This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      One of the thing that has been brought to the forefront during this employee-shortage era, is the fact that we need to increase the pay salaries of the average technician and service advisor.  In my opinion, we need to increase the pay for entry level people also. Other industries have done, we must also. 
      If we are to attract quality people and retain who we have employed, we need to address this issue now. 
    • By Joe Marconi
      This Sept 11 marks 20 year when four planes were hijacked, the Twin Towers were destroyed and 3000 people lost their lives in the terrorist attack.
      The day after, Sept 12, Americans came to together as one.  Let us all once-again reunite as Americans.  
      Let us never forget what happened on September 11, 2001. 
    • By carmcapriotto
      Jason Garrish and Jorge Gilligan, Revolution Motor Works, Finksburg, MD Key Talking Points
      Partnership agreement between Jorge and Jason- not written yet. Both came from the same dealership and wanted to open their own business.   6 years in business- currently has 5 bays and 4 techs and 2 advisors. In process of expanding with the lease of a new building for a satellite location across the street. A bigger satellite location will open the business up for domestic repairs and fleet.  Originally had the mindset that they wanted to be the ‘cheap guys’ but then 2 months into opening business ATI coaches started coming in and invited them to a Saturday boot camp.   Apprentice- hired from a dealership and hired master technician as well who trains new employees and the new apprentice- natural mentor.  Technician shortage- address younger generation better. On average 50% of graduates from 2-year college that go into dealerships quit the industry. Word of mouth through their existing technicians has been helpful. They enjoy their working environment and tell other friends in the industry about it- internal referral   Goal posters- 1, 5 and 10-year goals for personal and business. Helps the owners connect with employees and see what their future aspirations are.  In process of implementing EOS Culture- growing with the right people. Realizing there needs to be a defined culture.   Rocket Fuel Book Traction Book Thanks to Jason Garrish and Jorge Gilligan for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show: Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email   Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy me a coffee As a member of the NAPA family, AutoCare Center owners can take advantage of the NAPA National Health Program from the NAPA Insurance Center. This “NAPA only” program gives you and your employees access to national “large group” rates on medical insurance with premiums discounted up to 30 percent. These rates are based on the collective purchasing potential of 22,500 NAPA locations including both NAPA AUTO PARTS stores and NAPA AutoCare Centers. The NAPA Insurance Center can help you with a variety of other insurance benefits too. For more information about The NAPA National Health Benefits program as well as all of the insurance benefits available to your AutoCare Center and your employees, visit the NAPA Benefits Center, at www.napabenefitscenter.com or call the NAPA Benefits Center at 844-627-2123.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors