Quantcast

Had a fun one today!

I had a 93 lexus ls400 come in been at another shop for a while now, they could not fix the problem. The car would run and drive fine if you were very easy on the gas. If you gave it a good load it would buck and go crazy. Would set a code 41 tps circuit. Of course obd1 not so much in the way of data stream etc.. manually checked tps sensor passed no problem , checked the continuity back to the computer no problem. Found leaking capacitors in the computer.

post-3039-0-04196400-1472768353_thumb.jpg

That is extremely common on pre-96 Toyota/Lexus vehicles. If one comes in with weird issues, especially if someone has already thrown parts at it, that's usually the first thing we look at. Probably have seen this 5-8 times now in the last couple of years. Check rebuild services on ebay. For a little over $100, you can send them out and have it repaired

well as usual the other shop wants to take the credit for the repair, they will put a computer in it. I just charged them 2 hours diagnostics . That is the third car I have diagnosed for them the last two weeks. I told them them next one I am going to up the labor since they should be competent enough to do it them selves and since they are taking the credit I will charge more next time. I will boost the hourly rate on diagnostics for them. I hate to build another shops reputation, but I will not bad mouth them to the customers either so I figure that is a fair trade.

That is extremely common on pre-96 Toyota/Lexus vehicles. If one comes in with weird issues, especially if someone has already thrown parts at it, that's usually the first thing we look at. Probably have seen this 5-8 times now in the last couple of years. Check rebuild services on ebay. For a little over $100, you can send them out and have it repaired

I have actually replaced a few capacitors on the ford 9al computer in the past.. not to bad to do the worst part is getting the coating off of the boards. I am to lazy to do it now a days unless it is my own vehicle. Just like the days of the growlers testing the armatures and replacing brushes and voltage regulators on alternators and starters. Just slap a rebuild in it.. those days are over LOL