Quantcast

Is your competition going out of business?

When I first opened my shop some 30 years ago, there were over 30 auto "electric" repair shops. Most only did alternator and starter overhauls and not wiring type repairs like I specialize in. Now there just a few shops left that still do rebuilds.

You're right about the car count, but... the cars have changed so much in the past 30 years that a lot of the work we used to do is not a money maker anymore. Which is what probably drove the other shops out of business.

Gonzo, you are right.

There is this one thing I want to point out, Chinese competition really distorted the market. Think about this, how can a CV axle be cheaper new than a local rebuilt unit? Somethings don't make sense until you see that it's not business as usual, but economic political warfare.

• Like 1

A drive around may be in order, no? Stop by and say hello to those still open too, that may give you some surprise...

I hear the same crying from everyone. Business is slow for them etc etc. I don't see any shops going out of business necessarily. Well not enough to be alarmed. Many times they close shop but a building gets built where their shop was so assuming they just cashed out on the NYC real estate game.

I hear the same crying from everyone. Business is slow for them etc etc. I don't see any shops going out of business necessarily. Well not enough to be alarmed. Many times they close shop but a building gets built where their shop was so assuming they just cashed out on the NYC real estate game.

Oh, man! You are right in NYC!

I couldn't imagine your overhead. Hey, question, how do the guys on the Bronx can do $40 brakes for the taxi guys?