Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
CarER

To Do, or Not to Do: State Inspection

For those of you who do state inspections (I'm in Virginia, I know some states have them and others don't but I imagine it's all the same concept), do you feel as though it is a worthwhile "investment?"

What I mean is this. If for example, you do 10 vehicles a week. How many of them do you actually do "work" on? Out of those 10, do 6 of them go back to their mechanic to get the work done? 2 of the ones left actually pass the state inspection and then you do work on the 2 that are left?

What does it do to your ARO? Would you rather not do them and have less car count but a higher ARO? Do most of them have the work done with you? Etc...

I would rather have 10 vehicles that I do $300 on turning into $3,000 in revenue as apposed to having 10 vehicles x $14.00/vehicle ($16.00/car - $2 for the state) and say even fixing 4 of those cars at $300 = $1,340. Correct me if my way of thinking is incorrect.

The reason I ask is because I have a 3 bay shop. In Virginia you have to have a dedicated state inspection lane that you can't work on in other vehicles (or you can but as soon as a state inspection comes in, you have to get it out.) If I dedicate one lane to state inspections, it turns into a two bay shop. Not to mention that I would essentially no longer be working for myself but for the state (since there are only 3 of us here) and all of the liabilities and things like that.

All answers are appreciated ahead of time. Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Enhanced your vehicle multipoint inspections with Video

Has any signed up or know of this product? "Truvideo" BG has partnered with a company called Truvideo.  The process allows you to take a short video of the car and document any issues. The video is then sent to the customer, either thru a text message or email. The tech or service advisor narrates the video.  The customer can see on video things like worn brakes, worn tires, a leaking hose, etc.   I think that this has its place in the multipoint process. Below is a link for more information. Your thoughts? https://www.bgprod.com/programs/truvideo/  

By Joe Marconi, in The Customer Experience

• 7 replies
    • Recording requirements & special fees in your state. A little survey

I'm just about to settle on a software package to run my shop. I've found looking at a number of them that there are a few that don't seem to tick the basic boxes in information gathering that we as registered repair shops are required by law to do. I'm wondering if this is a New York specific issue or if this issue happens everywhere. Would you guys comment on your state requirements.  I'd like to pass some more information to the software company I'm working with in hopes that they motivate to make some improvements to satisfy these requirements. Example, in NYS we are required to capture a signature or document approval with the customer complaint to begin work on the vehicle before we touch it. We must record mileage when the vehicle enters the shop and when it is finished. We must state the warranty for each item and the terms and time limit for any guarantee on repair work. We have to collect a non taxable $2.50 waste tire management fee for every new tire sold. We have a state safety and emissions inspection that is varies in fee and is non taxable.

By Junior, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 0 replies
    • Hi Y'all...from the Volunteer State!

Hi, I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.  I am Natalie Spears from Savannah, Tennessee.  My husband, Tommy, and I have a goal to open an auto body shop in the future.  We are spending a lot of time researching EVERYTHING before we take that leap.  I hope to gain a lot of additional knowledge on the business end of things by joining a few forums and getting involved.  Currently, he is working out of our home garage which is not optimal, but is certainly better than nothing.  Like many of you, he was taking things apart and putting them back together before age 10.  He is unbelievably talented and has amazing skills with anything mechanical in nature.  I, on the other hand, will handle the business end of the company.  My background and current profession is bookkeeping so we hope this combination will lead to a successful business partnership.  I look forward to learning great things on here!

By Natalie Spears, in New Member's Area

• 7 replies
    • Auto Care Association Supports Supreme Court Decision Allowing States to Collect Online Sales Tax

Auto Care Association Supports Supreme Court Decision Allowing States to Collect Online Sales Tax POSTED BY AUTO CARE NEWS ON JUNE 21, 2018 The Auto Care Association applauds today’s decision by the Supreme Court to permit states to collect sales tax on purchases of products made over the Internet. The 5-4 decision means that online sellers will now be on a level playing field with brick and mortar retailers regarding charging sales tax. The Auto Care Association had filed an amicus brief with other retail groups urging the Supreme Court to hear the case based on the price advantage that the current system provided on-line sellers. The decision overturns a previous Supreme Court decision that required companies to have a physical presence in the state where the purchaser resided in order to charge sales tax. 

“This is an important decision for many of Auto Care’s retail members and we are pleased that the Supreme Court saw the unfairness in the current system and determined to make everyone play by the same rules,” said Aaron Lowe, senior vice president, regulatory and government affairs, Auto Care Association. “We hope that implementation of the sales tax will be done uniformly across state lines to ensure a fair and efficient system of tax collection.

By Alex, in Automotive Products & Services

• 2 replies
    • REGISTRATION OPEN - The Official 2018 State of The Auto Repair Industry Report

The Official 2018 State of The Auto Repair Industry
      The Untold Secrets of How my Underground Group of Car Count Hackers Instantly Fixed Their Car Count, Easily Send Money Making Promotions Immediately and Always Get Raving Reviews from Customers!

By JustTheBest, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 0 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors