Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Customer raises his voice, So I raise mine!

As I walked in the customer waiting room, I witnessed a customer yelling at one of my service advisors. Being a professional, she kept silent and let the man vent. He was complaining that the brakes we just installed were squealing and that this was unacceptable and wanted an answer to WHY this happened.

I stood back for a minute and usually do not get into the middle. It is better to let the advisor handle the situation. But this was different. As is voice increased in volume, my patience diminished.

Finally, I stepped in, and with my voice raised a few decibels, said, "Sir, why do you feel the need to yell. We are talking about a brake squeal. This is not a problem. A problem is when you are laying in a hospital bed with tubes down your throat and hooked up to life support. Put things into perspective. Just let me know when I can look at the brakes."

His entire mood changed. He said, "Yes, I guess you are right. I will check my schedule and get back to you."

I don't know if he will come back or not. But, in this situation, it was more important to let my service advisor feel that I had her back.

• Like 2