Quantcast

Mario

Do you have 18,000 square feet of property for Tire Sales?

The city of Akron Ohio is proposing zoning changes that will force new tire businesses to have 18,000 square feet of property and to be 100 feet off the road if they want to sell, mount, and balance tires. Akron is not NYC, but still a decent sized city (around 200,000) with a lot of suburbs and close proximity to other cities (Cleveland, Youngstown, Pittsburgh, Canton). It is hard to find a lot available in city limits that is 18k square feet.

My business is 30 minutes southwest of Akron and I have a 60x105ft parking lot, a 2400 square foot shop and a separate 550 square foot office/waiting room in front. Still less than 10,000 square feet and my property is considered a good size for the area. Most chain tire shops don't have 18,000 square feet of property. The only ones with property that big are the dealerships.

I usually don't put my tin foil hat on, but I told my dad today that I believe somebody with a new car dealership may be asking for favors from city officials to help increase their tire sales by limiting their competition. Northeast Ohio has a lot of small tire shops and they all seem to stick around for years and stay relatively busy.

The city my business is in has a lot of on the book rules that make it hard to operate a new auto repair facility. You have to be in an industrial area which limits you to almost no drive by traffic. I am grandfathered into my current location. I wonder if cities and townships in the area will mimic these proposed zoning changes.

If something like this passes there are still a lot of questions. What defines a tire shop? Is a repair facility that sells and services tires considered a tire shop?

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-may-change-zoning-for-tire-sales-businesses-aiming-to-curb-complaints-council-honors-naacp-president-1.557851

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Businesses on First Page of Google Have an Avg. 4.4 Star Rating

Interesting article on Search Engine Journal about the importance of business reviews. Your business listing is prompted up with more positive reviews which is especially important for local area search. Google Local Search Study: Businesses on First Page Have an Avg. 4.4 Star Rating Businesses ranking on the first page of Google local search results have an average review rating of 4.42 stars. This information was revealed in a recent study from BrightLocal which examines Google reviews and how they relate to local rankings. A high star rating was found to strongly correlate with better rankings in Google search. Businesses ranking in the top 3 positions are more likely to have an average star rating of 4-5 stars (64% of businesses have 4-5 stars). Out of those ranking in positions 7-10 59% of were found to have a 4-5 star rating. Only 20% of businesses in positions 1-3 were found to have no Google reviews, compared to 26% of businesses in positions 7-10. Those numbers stress the importance of having a favorable star rating when it comes to ranking well in Google local search. Positive reviews send signals to Google that the business is trustworthy and provides a good experience for customers. Therefore, Google will be more likely to direct people toward those businesses when searching for what they offer.   Other Key Findings from the Study Only 5% of businesses have an average star rating below 3 stars Photographers, alternative therapy businesses, and marketing services have the highest average star ratings Senior living services, car dealerships, and hotels have the lowest average star ratings Bars, restaurants, and hotels are the industries that are most likely to have Google Reviews Accountants are the least likely industry to have reviews on Google Results from this study are based on the analysis of 93,000 businesses’ Google reviews in 26 industries. Another recent study from Moz further illustrates the growing importance of Google My Business signals in local search results.   Article: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-local-search-study-businesses-on-first-page-have-an-avg-4-4-star-rating/279895/

By Alex, in Website Tips

• 0 replies
    • Tires - are we competitive or low?

Hi,   I am a small auto shop owner;  I am trying to see if we are competitive or low in our prices for mounting, balancing etc.   Mounting 9.99 Balancing 9.99 Disposal 2.00 Vlave stems 2.99 tire rotation 10.00   We are in central New Jersey Thanks  Denise

By Denise Thiel, in Automotive Products & Services

• 4 replies
    • Lauderdale Dream Car Wash Business - Huge Property - For Sale

This is a dream. Top notch facility. Great area. Perfect location. Near everything. Further information available upon request, please contact seller below for further details. View the full article

By AutoShopOwner, in Automotive Business Opportunities

• 0 replies
    • Knoxville Super Carwash Business And Property For Sale

Great location. Big Property Busy! More details available upon request, contact seller below for more information. View the full article

By AutoShopOwner, in Automotive Business Opportunities

• 0 replies
    • snow tires

I had a customer come in this week wanting the snow tires "HE" put on in November taken off. Not a bad Idea since we have had no snow this winter. When I saw his car I started to laugh, he had studded snow tire on his older buick. Take a look at the picture and you will see why I laughed. Not where the snow tires are !

By skm, in General Automotive Discussion

• 1 reply
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors