Quantcast

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

As a New BannerBuzz.com Customer You Get 20% Off Your First Order! Use Code: FIRSTORDER for 20% Off Custom Banners, Decals, Marketing Materials, and Any Custom Print Needs! Offer Does Not End

Money: Not The Motivator it Once Was!

It has always been my policy to give my people the opportunity to earn a respectable wage. I feel that to attract quality people and to keep them, my company must compensate and reward the people who are producing and contributing to the success of the business. But today, money is not the only motivator with many young people. The demographics have changed. You still need to offer an attractive salary and other monetary benefits, but there are other factors to consider. The up and coming generation may not be as loyal and will look for benefits such as flex time, respect, a quality work environment and a chance to move up the ladder. These new considerations will shape a new perspective on how we hire and what we offer new hires in the future.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      As a former auto shop owner, one of the things that kept me up at night was not knowing enough about all the labor laws and human resource regulations.  
      How do you keep up with all the changes to the labor laws and human resource regulations in your state? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      This topic has been discussed before, but I think it's more relative today than ever. 
      Smart auto shop owners understand they need to constantly recruit, but what about keeping the employees we have now? 
      Let's revisit this topic and discuss your retention strategies and other comments on keeping your valued employees. 

• By carmcapriotto
      Guest host and shop tour with Jeff Grassman, Car Smart Automotive Service, Sumner, WA.
      Jeff Grassman, Carsmart Auto Service, Sumner, WA. Listen to Jeff's other episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Moved south from the original location in 2013 - 15% of customers followed. Small town compared to original location. 7 lifts The front service counter and the waiting room were originally built in 1932- the first service station in town 9 years later- retooled with a new crew of employees All 3 techs are master techs, ASE certified and over 150% efficiency for 12-month period, low comeback rate. Blend of strengths together. “Team has to win” Hired an interior designer for Jeff’s house, she was also a customer, hired for waiting room. Reflective of the small town feel with a contemporary spin  Offers customer referral program, word of mouth, learning about your community, and getting involved.  Dealership experience- quality parts, clear communication with advisors and customers  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Guest host and shop tour with Seth Thorson, Eurotech Auto Service, 4 locations in Minnesota. Find out how Seth purchased, renovated, and opened his newest location in 6 months.
      Andy Bizub, Midwest Performance Cars, Chicago and Northbrook, IL. Listen to Andy’s previous episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points
      Looking ahead in the industry- raising labor rates is a must Opening second location- opportunity came when a new owner of a 40,000 sq ft facility asked if Andy wanted to rent some space for a second location. Make your shop a destination- organic social media posts, being involved in the community Leadership training outside of the automotive industry with Jocko Willink  
      Connect with the Podcast:

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Dorman gives people greater freedom to fix vehicles by constantly developing new repair solutions that put owners and technicians first. Take the Dorman Virtual Tour at www.DormanProducts.com/Tour

• Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      What’s the first step to hiring Rock Stars? It starts with the ad. A cookie-cutter ad with buzzwords will only get you so far. Instead of writing the ad from your perspective, step into the shoes of the position you are looking to fill … you may have done that job yourself. Did you ever think that you should be writing the ad for the spouse of the job position? It costs thousands of dollars to hire the wrong person.  Get ready to get a handful of ideas in this episode, to help in your hiring goals.
      Maylan Newton, ESI- Educational Seminars Institute, is a business coach, trainer and industry speaker. Previous Episodes HERE
      Jimmy Alauria, 3A Automotive and Diesel Repair, Phoenix, AZ. Jimmy’s previous episodes HERE
      Jason Stretch, Legendary Automotive & Truck Service, Fort Myers, FL. Jason's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Write the ad for the spouse, not the technician. The spouse will be your biggest advocate. We have to take the viewpoint of "What's in it for me" rather than "What's expected of me." “Be diligent, not desperate.” “It costs thousands of dollars to hire the wrong person.” Everyone you’re looking for, there are also other people searching for them too “Our industry is the definition of insanity,” running the same ad, treating people the same way. Become a destination employer, not stop on their way to success Setting expectations when hiring- one size doesn’t fit all  Learn how to read people and get good at interviewing- it requires practice  Get business cards for your team Admiration cuts through antagonism. Top talent in this industry has felt underappreciated for a long time. There can be an antagonism coming from really good people, NOT because they are naturally antagonistic but because we have created an environment where they feel like they have to fight. Taking time to Qualify, are they truly a unicorn?  
      Connect with the Podcast

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com

• Our Sponsors