Quantcast

[Podcast] Dealing With the Loss of a Job or a Business – With Dolah Saleh [RR 535]

Through her advice columns, books, and seminars, Dolah Saleh has sought to help others make choices that honor who they are and what they want to accomplish. Ms. Saleh is an educator, lecturer, and author with more than 20 years of counseling others in making optimal life choices.

Ms. Saleh is the author of a few non-fiction books and one commissioned, Dating and the Pursuit of Happiness (DRM Net Inc., 1998), which helped people understand their personality “type” in a relationship and provided practical advice for pursuing a happy, fulfilling love life. Her last book, It IS All About You (Balboa Press, Hay House, 2018), which addresses lifelong questions in the search for meaning. 

Dolah's website www.loveinyourlife.com that includes a podcast and provides commentary on career as well as general life reflections.

Major corporations have hired Ms. Saleh as a career transition consultant. These companies include Allied Signal, Praxair, American General Life Insurance, Cargill Inc., Carleton Technologies, General Motors, Moog Inc., M & T Bank, Praxair Inc., Tyco International, University of Buffalo and the Xerox Corporation. To assist in her practice, she has used and is certified in various psychological assessment instruments to provide her clients with appropriate guidance toward life-changing decisions. 

Key Talking Points:

• Grieving- experience loss (person, job, business, etc), shock, denial, anger, depression, acceptanceGrieving is not a linear process- goes in and out of all stages of grief
  • Separating yourself from what met your needs that is now gone. What do you do next?
  • Losing a job- grieving about the job and the people they worked with
  • No set grieving timeline- find strength and consider what you can offer to a prospective employer?
  • Networking- most helpful during the grieving processReach out to people for comfort, advice, support and brainstorm next career change
  • Develop a marketing plan for yourself 
  • Always a positive and negative way too look at everything in lifeOpportunity to reevaluate your career- how happy have you been? Is this an opportunity to pursue something else that you would enjoy more? What jobs are related to what you were doing?
  • We all have something to give, you have value, you have worth- what are your talents? What are your strengths and gifts? Self-analysis- sit with someone who knows you/used to work for/colleague/peer and listen to their input 
  • Tony Robbin’s website DISC assessment, Clifton Strengths Finder Test, Birkman Test
  • Support of your spouseLean on them and accept support, don’t hide the loss of job because of ‘failure’ mentality 
  • Acceptance and mobilization- move forwardMeet with someone for coffee, talk about your ideas

Resources:

• Thanks to Dolah Saleh for her contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
  • Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
  • Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE
  • Find every podcast episode HERE.
  • Every episode segmented by Series HERE.
  • Key Word Search HERE.
  • Love what we do? Buy Carm a cup of coffee HERE.

Be socially involved and in touch with the show:

Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email

Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.

Buy Carm a Cup of Coffee 

NAPA AutoCare’s PROimage program makes it easy for you to make the most of the NAPA brand. A PROimage upgrade lets you maintain your shop’s identity as a reliable, locally-owned business while letting your customers and potential customers know you’re partnering with NAPA, the most recognized and trusted name in the automotive aftermarket. AutoCare Centers that have completed a PROimage exterior upgrade enjoy an average 23 percent sales increase during the first year. You can also choose to go PROimage on the interior and transform your customer waiting area from merely utilitarian to warm and welcoming. You can even get a free look by visting www.NAPAAutoCare.com and clicking on the NAPA PROimage link under the NAPA PROimage tab. Of course, the AutoCare site is also the place to go to find out about all the advantages being part of the NAPA family has to offer.

Learn more about NAPA PROimage and the hundreds of other benefits NAPA offers. Talk with your servicing NAPA store or visit www. NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBtoP83XYE
      Charlene Parlett, AMAM, CEC, ATI Executive Coach
      Charlene is an Executive Coach at ATI, is a former shop owner, and has been a coach for 6 years. Charlene helps clients find the right solutions to their challenges and encourages them to make the changes that result in having the life they dreamed about when they got into business ownership. Find Charlene's previous episodes HERE
      Maylan Newton from ESI – Educational Seminars Institute is a business coach, trainer and industry speaker. Maylan is no stranger to the podcast having paid it forward many times. He is a much sought our speaker at industry events in the US. Find Maylan’s previous episodes HERE.
      “He is ‘just a car guy’ with lots of knowledge and is brave enough to talk about it”. Maylan’s purpose is to educate leaders to be a better owner or service writer.
      Kevin Vaught, Elite Worldwide Business Development Coach, former multi-shop owner. Find Kevin's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      Developing customer experience- the customer is more willing to pay more if the experience meets the criteria to warrant the price. Customer service is different than the experience. Big things are expected (fix the car and have some complimentary amenities), what about the little things (using first name basis, water bottles with logo in the cup holder when ready). You need to have the entire team involved. Treating internal (employees) and external (customers) with high value. You don’t need money to be kind and nice to others. How does the building look? What is the smell when walking in? How are employees dressed? Do they have nametags? When organizations were asked to rate their quality of Customer Experience, 80% believe they are delivering a superior experience. This is compared to only 8% of customers who believe they are receiving a great Customer Experience  GLUE- giving little unexpected extras    Number one priority is to treat customers like kings and queens- they are the most important person that day.  Relationship business- want customers to keep coming back the rest of their lives, they are not an interruption in your day You’re being compared to a customer’s last great experience (inside and outside the industry). What is a good experience for them? Ask them! Technical knowledge means nothing to customers- they don’t know and want to know when the car will be done. Technology won't replace the experience a customer gets, it is a tool.  Overpromise and under deliver- customers remember that more than the price of services What’s your favorite restaurant? Is it based on price or comfort and service? Every customer will talk about a good or bad experience to others You make sales with conversation, not email or texts Don’t chase money, money will follow with exceptional service “We don’t fix cars, we take care of people” Raise your standards and communicate them to your team, doesn’t happen overnight. Have a plan and procedure until it is engrained. Make everyone accountable with clear expectations. A special thanks to Charlene Parlett, Maylan Newton and Kevin Vaught for their contribution to the aftermarket. Books Page HERE Listen to all Remarkable Results Radio, For The Record and Town Hall Academy episodes. Facebook   Twitter  LinkedIn   Instagram  Youtube   Email  
      Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
      Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy Carm a Cup of Coffee 

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com

This episode is brought to you by Shop Marketing Pros. Your guides are Kim and Brian Walker with a rich history as shop owners and industry veterans. When someone searches for a shop, who are they finding? Your competitors? It should be you! The good people over at Shop Marketing Pros know how to drive website traffic and make Google work for you! www.shopmarketingpros.com
    • By tirengolf
      Hope all are doing well, I have been absent for a while , life gets in the way at times. I have ask you guys questions many times and the answers have always been superb. This is not a question more like a huge decision I have to make. 
       My store was built in 1958 , just a square building with 4 outside bays across front with large roof system  and tech shop we added 10 years ago in the back with 5 stalls and 3 lifts. I have been there since I was 15 years old and now I am 60. We have always been squeezed with our corner lot, well 2 weeks ago the business next door which has 290 feet on the highway plus a very old body shop and a very old house that is liveable came up for sale. I have a contract on the property for 250k. But dang I wish I was 50 and not 60 years old. It lays out perfect where I could add 2 more open stalls and give anoher tech 3 new stalls down the side and tons of parking, I have none. We are busting at the seams,I need the room. no parking heck I cannot get all the work out of there daily. I can get some residule income from the one house, already had 2 guys ask me about rent on it. We have just had a huge brand new county jail built 2 blocks from us, Prettiest jail I have ever seen ,LOL, anyway guys I am having a hard decision on pulling the trigger , one thing is my age second thing I assume those  5 bays will help my bottom line tremdously. As you know with that comes a few more employees, new writer and probaly 2 new techs. Maybe I am apprehensive because I have never expanded like that. Has any of you guys done this or better yet gone through it, if so tell me the good the bad and the ugle. My employees are great but I will need at least 1 writer and 2 or 3 oil/tire/ tech trainy. Techs are hard to find today , I never thought I would be stealing other techs from other stores but I guess it is the way of th world. Any advie or help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Guys, David
    • By carmcapriotto
      Trish Serratore is the Senior Vice President of Communication at ASE
      She works closely with all of the organizations within the ASE Industry/Education initiative, which also includes ASE and the Automotive Training Managers Council (ATMC), to help provide the qualified automotive professionals the industry needs today and tomorrow. Links to Trish’s episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points:
      ASE update from 2020-2021Test centers were initially closed- extended certifications. IT-enabled 40 people to be able to work remotely- most important was customer service employees.  Test centers opened with COVID regulations and restrictions in June  New website launch My ASE account on the homepage  Test prep for free Remote proctoring for future- take recertification test at home  All auto tests are now translated to Spanish  New certification program for army tactical wheeled vehicles3 levels of testing You don’t have to be in armed service to take the test Gives the army its own credential for internal use  ASE will be 50 years old next year- oldest occupational credential programs in-country, and one of the first  Studies show technicians who are ASE certified are more productive.  Developed task list and created ADAS composite vehicle- 2022 launch   ASE renewal appSoft launch early 2020 with 1000 subscribers, now has over 8,500  ASE certifications within businessHang signs, put a patch on, display ASE certificates to your customer- share you have invested in your employees, so your customers have the best possible service.  Differentiate yourself from other businesses Resources:
      Thanks to Trish Serratore for her contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Buy me a coffee
      NAPA AutoCare’s PROimage program makes it easy for you to make the most of the NAPA brand. A PROimage upgrade lets you maintain your shop’s identity as a reliable, locally-owned business while letting your customers and potential customers know you’re partnering with NAPA, the most recognized and trusted name in the automotive aftermarket. AutoCare Centers that have completed a PROimage exterior upgrade enjoy an average 23 percent sales increase during the first year.
      You can also choose to go PROimage on the interior and transform your customer waiting area from merely utilitarian to warm and welcoming. You can even get a free look by visting www.NAPAAutoCare.com and clicking on the NAPA PROimage link under the NAPA PROimage tab. Of course, the AutoCare site is also the place to go to find out about all the advantages being part of the NAPA family has to offer.
    • By carmcapriotto
      Part one of a 7 part series.
      Barry Barrett, a Certified EOS Implementer
      As an EOS Implementor in his company, Business With Purpose brings dedicated support to Leadership and Sales teams in all types of organizations, helping them structure the six key components of their business to make it operate with the best processes for their specific industry, using the EOS Model.
      Barry’s energy is contagious no matter if he is in a session with a client, giving a keynote address, or rolling up his sleeves in a workshop. Barry is a business coach with his positive mental attitude, incredible work ethic, and determination for excellence, his results-oriented approach is matchless.
      Barry is driven, caring, and passionate; traits that he uses to help his clients grow their businesses in a positive way. Find Barry’s other episodes HERE.

Key Talking Points:
      EOS (entrepreneurial operating system)- helps entrepreneurs get what they want from their businessVision People Data Issues Process Traction  Vision traction healthyGet your leaders on the same page- where you are, where you’re going, and how you will get there Traction- helping leaders become more disciplined and accountable. Executing well to achieve the vision Healthy- healthy and functioning leadership team  Turning people into leaders LeadershipNot born to do- people decide to become leaders Research great leaders and implement step by step processes Function chartStart with writing the function, list the 5 roles and responsibilities, and add the name to the seat  Roles shouldn’t always be based on seniority- instead, who is the most capable? Getting started90-minute meeting- EOS history, introduce ourselves to you, learn about you, about the EOS tools and processes  Focus day after that- if it’s not a right fit or you don’t get value you don’t pay   “Traction” “Get a grip” “What the heck is EOS” all by Gino Wickman Resources:
      Thanks to Barry Barrett for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE
      Buy me a coffee
      This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• By MINI4U
      We are in desperate need of techs. I tried Indeed and was very dissatisfied with the "talent" they sent us. I am considering Find A Wrench they post on Indeed as well as Zip Recruiter and some 90 other companies as well as social media. Has anyone tried them or ACT Auto Staffing? 

• Our Sponsors