Quantcast

Start LLC for $0 at IncFile

Has Gas Prices and Other Costs forced You to Raise Prices?

With the cost of fuel and everything associated with it, are you planning to raise prices this year? You need to remain profitable, but you need to remain competitive also. The fine line between profit and chasing people away is a tough line to cross. How are you handling the current economic conditions?

Flash Sale + Social Proof

I am in line with your thinking. We need to position ourselves with lost leaders to attract customers. We also need to be very profitable where we need to be. I think we could do a lot better if we charge what we deserve with respect to diagnostic work. We tend to give away too much in that area. What are your thoughts?

Well, I believe that everything should get raised annually, but keep your lost leaders (oil changes, etc) at the same price points, if you can. Adjust your pricing to reflect your cost of doing business. Labor and parts increases on larger jobs. Maintenance increases where needed, after doing a market survey in your area.

Common service prices should be set according to a competition survey.

Other prices should be set according to overall GP.

Price marketing should be used effectively as needed (yes, I will beat you on that timing belt job if I have stuck techs).

Many shops will get behind the curve during the rapid inflation which is not underway....and it will kill many of them.

The biggest thing anyone can do is trend tracking/graphing of all key numbers to see which direction they are headed to prevent getting behind.

Also, constant monitoring of GP and expense figures.

Keeping your costs down and not losing any customers is key. I'd rather drop the price than have them walk out the door!

I fear price wars. Has this become a trend in our industry to stay alive?

Almost all types of businesses almost always have price wars. It's the intensity that varies. The intensity in our industry is picking up and will likely grow significantly soon.

A few shops will be able to stay out of it. Most will not if they want to be a player. Many who ignore it may get run over.

The trick is, if you need to get into the battle, is to maintain decent GP. There are many ways to be price competitive without simply lowering the price. One just needs to be creative in what they offer.

Different levels of parts, service, what is included, and warranty are some examples. Adjust to what the customer wants while remaining profitable instead of focusing on what you think they should want.

I think the only way to stay in the game IS to remain profitable. I do agree that many "price sensitive" services must be priced accordingly. We are too often judged on the prices of the basic services we offer. However, in other areas the boxing gloves come off, such as diagnostic work, electrical, engine repair, transmission repairs, etc. In these areas we need to charge what we are worth.

I have this fear that if we focus too much on price to the consumer, they will loose site of the value we have to offer them. I rather be a Ruth Chris Steak House than a McDonalds.

But, that’s me.

• 9 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By Eric Roberts
      Firstly let me say that I an just a regular guy from the UK who is the owner of a seven bay service centre/garage. I am not a financial expert. The dreaded inflation is upon us again. For the guys as old as me then this is nothing new. Back in the 70,s we had 15% inflation, but we all got by and lived for better trading days. Here in the UK we have always looked up to the USA because of your business prowess. So what do you guys look out as your worst enemy!
      When prices are going up then I find that the gap opens between rich and the poor's disposable income. So this question will effect garage owners in different areas. My garage is in a poor area with many immigrant families who drive cars. So this means we have to be more flexible with pricing. Finding out if your customer can afford that service ! For this reason we devised a three tier service pricing structure. This has also the effect of not loosing your profit margins. 
      The lowest price should include an oil and filter change and a general vehicle check over. This way we find the customer will perhaps be able to afford a service and your profit margins wont drop. This is just one small idea that we carry out! What do you guys do in these times of high inflation ? 
    • By Joe Marconi
      While there are many different business models among all the automotive independent repair shops, what types of services or repairs give your auto repair shop the best ROI? 
      Preventive Maintenance Services? General Repairs, steering, suspension, brakes, etc.  Diagnostic/Electrical, etc. Or other? 
    • By carmcapriotto
      The gang’s all here; we have the entire Aftermarket Radio Network together for an important episode inspired by the movie Moneyball. We all have experience with people who are not our top performers, but are we better to have them on the team than not? You know them; they are consistent, reliable, steady, and contributors. Are they worth replacing? Will they become the best or top performers, or do they help strengthen our overall performance? A great discussion among your peers.
      Hunt Demarest, CPA, Paar Mellis and Associates, Business by the Numbers Podcast
      Matt Fanslow, Riverside Automotive, Red Wing, MN, Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast
      Kim and Brian Walker, Shop Marketing Pros, Auto Repair Marketing Podcast
      Chris Cotton, AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching, Chris Cotton Weekly Blitz Podcast
      Key Talking Points
      What REALLY contributes to production? Simpson Paradox Simon Sinec points out that Navy Seal teams value Trustworthiness far, far more than Performance.  VIDEO HERE  Tech productivity is one of the most important aspects of business, but how can these numbers skew what that employee is really doing (helping others, sharing duties outside of production, etc.) Are there some numbers or metrics that actually can look too good, which could cause an issue for growth or retention Numbers don’t lie, but sometimes can be misleading. Do your numbers match up with what you are trying to do with the business? You have to have your head up and eyes wide open to make sure you can identify the "doers" in your group.  Do you have a scorecard for success for your technicians? Pay plans; incentive greatness Who are your ‘support people' to contribute and make the whole picture better Culture is contagious Training when hiring- Weaknesses- be honest with eachother Fine balance- profitability aspect, you can’t have a shop full of unicorns Removing obstacles  
      Connect with the Podcast

Aftermarket Radio Network
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By ASOG Podcast
      Do You Really Need Tech School To Start An Auto Repair Shop?
    • Advertise your services or products to passers-by attracting them towards your business
    • By carmcapriotto
      We are at the NAPA Expo joined by the 2022 Napa Technician of the Year, Meg Lewis. She is the first female winner and is a huge advocate for automotive training and reaching the youth in schools. I’m also joined by Matt Fanslow from the Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast. We discuss goals, passions, work-life balance and advice to women in the industry.
      Meg Lewis, BJ’s Automotive Diagnostic Center, Belfast, ME, NAPA Auto Care Technician of the Year 2022
      Key Talking Points
      Advocate for automotive training- starting as young as you can with schools, especially nurturing women Motivation- her Dad, Meg was tinkering with cars “Tinkerbell” and she expressed interest and fascination. Natural curiosity.  Worked previously in hospitality- learned customer service quickly  Goal-oriented person- be a technician and own her own shop as an endgame. The succession plan will be complete in 5 years as owner.  What do you love to do in the bays? Gets thrill from fixing something that is broken and helping customers.  Tool share program with local BDG group  Work-life balance- Meg’s two kids have always been supportive, brings kids to events  Advice- surround yourself with people that support you and your passions Attracting new hires- incentive program with basic knowledge in automotive, providing training/tools/toolbox to get them in the door. Growing your own technician.  ASE exams- tool for showing areas of improvement  Being the ‘winner’ shouldn't matter if you are a man or a woman  Advice to women- don’t be discouraged; you will face challenges. It will make you stronger  
      Connect with the Podcast:
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partner:
      Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors