Quantcast

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Rick White discusses the challenges of maintaining focus and avoiding distractions. He explores the negative effects of distractions on productivity and share insights on how to improve focus. Rick White, a business coach, provides tips on creating bubbles of focus, scheduling tasks, and setting boundaries with distractions. He emphasizes the importance of having a clear destination and purpose, as well as the need to overcome obstacles and challenges.
      Rick White, President and Lead Coach for 180BIZ, Listen to Rick’s previous episodes HERE.
      Show Notes
      The importance of focus and distractions (00:00:01) Discussion on distractions in daily life and the negative effects on productivity. Distractions in today's world (00:02:07) Exploration of the various distractions in modern life, including social media and psychological behaviors. Tips for improving focus (00:05:00) Rick White provides insights on improving focus, including creating bubbles of focus, scheduling tasks, and avoiding distractions. Discussion on the importance of staying focused on the goal and not comparing oneself to others.i se Overcoming obstacles and finding success through adversity (00:15:04) Rick White shares examples of successful individuals who faced challenges and overcame them, highlighting the importance of perseverance and resilience. The importance of having a destination (00:19:33) Discussion on the significance of having a clear goal or destination to create focus and avoid distractions. The power of the "why" (00:21:02) Exploration of the emotional aspect of setting goals and understanding the purpose behind them to stay motivated and focused. Creating a distraction-free workplace (00:26:16) Tips on minimizing distractions in the workplace, including setting boundaries. The importance of removing distractions (00:26:20) Discussion on the dangers of distractions in the auto service industry and the need to remove distractions for safety and productivity. Tips for maintaining focus (00:27:49) Insights on how to improve focus and avoid distractions, including writing down tasks and avoiding interruptions. The impact of social media on attention (00:32:18) Discussion on the attention-grabbing tactics used by social media platforms and the importance of using social media intelligently. The importance of focus and avoiding comparisons (00:34:40) The mistake of thinking that life and business are finite games, the negative effects of comparing oneself to others, and the importance of comparing oneself to their potential. The role of comfort zones and downtime (00:36:25) The benefits of the comfort zone as a place to recharge and recover, the importance of having downtime, and enjoying activities that provide comfort and relaxation. Maintaining focus and avoiding self-imposed stress (00:39:38) The importance of finding joy and fun in work, avoiding self-imposed stress, and creating a positive culture in the workplace. The importance of focus (00:43:03) Discussion on the impact of focus using the example of Michael Phelps gold medal. Getting a coach for more focus (00:43:50) The benefits of having a coach to improve focus and accountability. Expecting ups and downs in performance (00:44:30) Understanding that performance will fluctuate but as long as it trends upward, it's considered progress. Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX and NAPA TRACS.
      Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2023. Mark your calendar now … October 31 - Nov 2, 2023, AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR
      NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/
      Connect with the Podcast:
      -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
      -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
      -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
      -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
      -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
      -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

• By autorepairuniversity
      I feel the need to say thank you! After reviewing the financials for this past year I was quite depressed. I did $100,000 more business than the year before, but hardly any more profit to show for it. I had personally been stressed out, buisy beyond belief, and just plain beat up this past year, and for what... a small profit??? Yes I did profit more than the year before, but put it this way - not impressive. One night I tuned to Auto Shop Owners for a little help and guidence. Threre was a TON of helpfull posts, and some real eye openers. The one post that was burned into my brain was a post about running a business vs. running a repair shop. I told myself it was time to run a BUSINESS not just a AUTO REPAIR SHOP. I had a BIG meeting with my guys, telling them its time they stepped up there game and helped me "bear" some of weight I was carrying around with this business. I raised prices $5 per hour. I started charging for diagnosis. I started tracking the techs billed hours (I pay hourly) and created a bonus program for them. I actually started "watching and analyzing the numbers" rather just going off of feel.
      The results.... Utterly amazing. This year (Jan and Feb) I have profited almost twice as much as last year. I know!!! that is crazy. Just goes to show what a little "thinking" can do. I remind myself everyday to treat my shop as a business, not a "repair shop". I hope this helps others, it sure helped me. Hopefully this trend continues for me, but again THANK YOU to my fellow shop owners for posting your knowlegde and advise!!!

Sent from my Chromebook 11 Model 3180 using Tapatalk

• Our Sponsors