Quantcast

Are Wheel Alignments in 8 Minutes Possible?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

5 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      The automotive industry constantly evolves, with new technology and safety features being added to vehicles each year.  Are you investing in technology and education to stay competitive and provide quality service to customers? In this episode, we discuss the importance of charging enough for alignments and educating customers on the need for calibration and maintenance to ensure their safety on the road. Bill Nalu, Interstate Auto Care, Madison Heights, MI. Listen to Bill’s previous episodes HERE.
      Joe Hanson, Gordie’s Garage, Roseville, MI. Listen to Joe’s previous episodes HERE.
      Justin Allen, Manufacture’s Rep, Hunter Engineering Company
      Show Notes:
      Watch Video Episode HERE Alignments! Rates, Numbers and ROI [THA 303] Selling alignments as maintenance [00:05:57] Discussion on the importance of selling alignments as maintenance service The use of Hunter Lane Check [00:06:23] The importance of printouts and pictures [00:07:28] Discussion on whether consumers need printouts or pictures of alignment results to believe they need an alignment. Alignment as an Opportunity [00:08:31] Discussion on the high demand for alignment services and the opportunity it presents for business owners and customers. Educating Customers and Shop Owners [00:09:32] Alignment Inspection and Safety [00:10:20] Proper Alignment Techniques and Training [00:10:59] Charging for Alignments [00:12:23] Educating Service Advisors [00:13:58] The importance of having talented service advisors who have been trained properly to work through different levels and tiers of alignment. Teaching the Next Generation [00:15:23] The opportunity to bring in the next generation and teach them about alignment technology and how to properly service ADAS and calibrate targets. Hunter Net System [00:16:24] Hunter Engineering's online system for accessing visual aids and data on car safety system alignment. Importance of Proper Alignment [00:18:56] Proper alignment is crucial for safety and avoiding costly mistakes. Alignment as a Profitable Service [00:20:17] Alignments should be profitable on their own, not just as a supplementary service. Recalibrating Steering Angle Sensor [00:24:01] ADAS Calibration [00:25:32] Preparing for Newer Vehicles [00:27:15] Importance of understanding the complexity of newer vehicles and the potential cost of alignments, especially with ADAS technology. High-Tech Industry [00:33:21] Discussion on the high-tech nature of the automotive industry and the responsibility of repair shops to educate customers on the importance of calibration and maintenance. Moving away from two-wheel alignment [00:37:42] Discussion on the need to move away from two-wheel alignment and the importance of educating clients on the purpose of alignment. Alignment equipment frustration [00:38:40] Customer experience and professionalism [00:39:37] Challenges of technician training [00:40:50] Shift towards multi-shop ownership [00:42:17] ROI of Alignment Machine [00:44:19] Discussion on the ROI of the Hunter Lane Check alignment machine. Embracing Technology [00:46:23] The importance of embracing technology and investing in the future of the automotive industry Thanks to our Partners Shop-Ware and Delphi Technologies Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
      Connect with the Podcast
      -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Take a deeper dive into alignments, the numbers being it, and the ROI. Multi-shop owner Joe Hanson has invested in the Hunter Quick Check Touchless Alignment equipment for his one shop, Tom Sciortino brings statistics on the effect alignments have on ADAS, and Jim Fleischman discusses the importance of asking your customers about their driving habits. Watch the Episode on YouTube Tom Sciortino, Total Automotive, Buffalo, NY. Tom’s previous episodes HERE Joe Hanson, Gordie’s Garage, Roseville, MI. Listen to Joe’s previous episodes HERE. Jim Fleischman, Automotive Alley, Arcade, NY. Listen to Jim’s previous episodes HERE. Show Notes:
      Supports the goal to give the customer an extraordinary experience, supports our core value of transparent communication, and supports goal for growth Joe Hanson's ROI Plan of attack within 18 months to 2 years- 53K to purchase, Labor cost was $42, alignment possibilities 63% of cars need some sort of alignment. Moved from 1 a day to 4 a day It's all about the alignment process- in September at Joe's shop, the numbers dropped, and Joe had a meeting with his team to discuss experience and core values. October was a great month again! Faster alignment checks- instant results and also records whole vehicle (dents) It’s more than an alignment check- precheck and presell with open communication and transparency with customers Safety- 25mph if forward facing camera is 1 degree off, the emergency braking will be effected “Green is good” your employees still need to be trained to learn the numbers instead of colors Tom went to ADAS training, and a lot of info on how important alignments are- 5 different vendors rotated Are we asking the proper questions to the client about how they drive their vehicle? Are we setting up the vehicle for their driving needs, not for what the manufacturer put in for a generic setup for one size fits all alignment?  What is the complaint; tire wear? Fuel economy? All are things that can be addressed with the right alignment. It's like going to the chiropractor...  

Connect with the Podcast Aftermarket Radio Network Subscribe on YouTube Visit us on the Web Follow on Facebook Become an Insider Buy me a coffee Important Books Check out today's partners: Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com       Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com

• By Changing The Industry
      New Tires With Wheel Alignment Scam - Avoid Rip Offs: Two Shop Owners React
    • By carmcapriotto
      Chris Cloutier is co-owner of Golden Rule Auto Care in Dallas Texas and CEO of Auto Tex Me. He spent many years in the software industry developing solutions for companies like Southwest Airlines, and Wyndham Intl. He’s worked for companies that understood the marriage of service and software, and have applied it in an effective way. Chris has his ASE C1: Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1). He brings the business side to the business and his brother Pat brings the Braun. Chris is also a musician. Hear Chris’s previous episodes HERE.    Autotex.me website HERE.
      Key Talking Points:
      What drives you?Passion for technology and change- Once Christ became free from “Corporate America” he saw the endless potential to be anything you want to be. Freedom to jump to conclusions and do what you want to do.   What did you want to grow up and be?Entrepreneur- make and build things  What impact will technology have on your business?Massive impact- constantly adding and changing in order to maintain successful customer experience and a productive and effective shop. If using technology is confuses and doesn’t work for them they are using the wrong technology What new technology are you going to add to your business in the next 6 months?“Baywatch” watching vehicles in real time ALPR (advanced license plate reader) and object recognition- measuring efficiency and productivity in the bays  What are you afraid of?Failure- “Failure is a part of success” but failure is still hard to handle. Sometimes you are afraid to make a choice because you’re afraid of what could happen as an outcome. Failure can happen due to factors you’re not in control of (COVID-19).   What do you do for fun?Spending time with family (2 daughters and wife). Activities together like ice skating, kicking soccer balls, skiing etc.  What is a big concern or threat to your business?Consolidation- driving and driverless fleets. Who will be repairing those vehicles? Who has nationwide coverage? How do you manage work/life harmony?Discipline to “turn it off” certain evenings and on Sunday’s- limited phone and computer use  What did you sacrifice in the early days to get where you are today? Regret it?Sacrificed friendships and relationships- it’s easy to pour yourself into work and neglect certain friendships. Chris doesn’t have regret because they were tradeoffs to pursue what he wanted to do.     Do you have a strong intuition? Do you listen to it? Has always followed his gut while knowing “the numbers.” Trusts his intuition and listens to it. During COVID his gut told him to inform his employees what was going on- potential layoffs, potential salary cuts etc. Employees were grateful he was honest and upfront.   Get any great advice that you still follow today?Advice from his father:“If you’re going to lie with the dogs you’re going to get fleas.” It serves as a reminder to surround yourself with good people.  How does one start to build a strong business culture?Starts with the leader- What are your strengths? What are you good at? What do you like? Find things you care about and your employees will see it. Don’t force “fun,” be genuine with your interests and the interests of your employees.   We learn from mistakes. What was one of your biggest mistakes?Not realizing his path early on in life- we often fight our paths but that’s when you have to listen to your intuition.  Wanted to make it big in music and failed but learned how to manage people/business during that time.   Ever had a mentor?Dad was first mentor Read “How to win friends and influence people” and it changed the course of his life.  Continues to have mentors, 20 groups and advisors “Feedback is a gift like on Christmas morning. Receive it, take it in, open it up, be thankful. Don’t throw it back in their face.”  How much training per year do you get?Minimum of 40 hours (1 hour every week) but often has over 120 hours per year- being apart of 20 groups 3-4 times a year, attends conferences and sits in the classrooms A secret to a good job interview?Behavior interviewing skills- instead of asking “Have you ever done an oil change before?” ask “Walk me through the last oil change you did.” Also ask questions about conflicts and how they were resolved. Ask about behavioral scenarios.  Would your organization crumble if you stepped aside?No- investing time training leaders to be leaders. Leadership is all about soft skills  Do you share your financial statements with your team? If Yes, why?Yes both the shop and software companies- your employees know your financials already and if you don’t share it they often think you are pocketing. Educate them on expenses and overhead.    Do you see obstacles not as roadblocks but as opportunities?Gap analysis- where are the gaps and how do I fill them in? Find out what people aren't doing and tumble through them. Obstacles are opportunities. Who is someone you really admire?Jesus- true servant leader instead of jumping to conclusions. Good people get in bad habits- look through that and offer grace.  Resources:
      Thanks to Chris Cloutier for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee
      This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

• By carmcapriotto
      Frank Scandura, Franks European, Las Vegas, NV started working on cars as a teenager in upstate New York and moved to Las Vegas in 1988. After years of writing service for Mercedes, he opened Frank’s European service in 2001 and grew to a 12,000-square foot, 10 bay shop in the northwest part of Las Vegas, not far from the famous Strip! He has 15 team members and is partnered with his wife Deborah. From his first immersion in the business, pumping gas at 15 years old in Orange County New York, to writing service at a Mercedes dealer in Las Vegas Frank Scandura shares his business acumen and offers insights and trends on leadership as a business coach. Frank’s previous episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points:
      If I had all the money in the world, what would you buy?Security for family. Becomes more important as time goes on. 3 out of 4 kids have already taken Dave Ramsey’s 7 Baby Steps- Make a monthly budget   Is it easy to say 'I Don't Know.'Yes, but you have to practice. It’s okay to not know everything, simply say “I’m not sure, let me do some research and get back to you.”   Do you see obstacles not as roadblocks but as opportunities?,Opportunities all the time. Anticipate roadblocks and play the “what if” game to solve the problem.   Do you have a strong intuition? Do you listen to it?Yes and act on your gut feeling. Trust your inner intuition and spouse’s intuition.  Your biggest learning moment?Used to let temper get the best of him and think he was the one that built business. Realized business would be nothing without the people around him. Humbling moment.     What are you doing to put the Customer first in your business?Putting employees first. If you treat employees right (training, tools, expectations) they in turn treat customers right.   A special strategy to build a strong reputation?Follow your morals, values and integrity. Do not tolerate anything else.   Recently fired a customer? The reason?Some customers make unreasonable demands. Everyone makes mistakes, it’s how you handle them that sets you apart. Politely tell the customer “I’m sorry but this is not the right shop for you.”     What impact does technology have on your business?If you’re not digitally savvy now, it might be too late. Need to capture as much data as possible. Have to have digital dispatching, reporting, inspections etc. Be ready for the changing technology in cars.    What is the latest book you read? Big take-a-way“Leadershift” by John Maxwell- making those around you leaders, shift how you lead to let them become leaders.   How much training per year do you get?Watches video series for Transformers Institute, John Maxwell training, reads everyday and has daily devotions. Hobby is woodworking and continues to learn about that as well.  Ever had a mentor?Jim Murphy, Dan Taylor, Greg Bunch Share a Gross Margin HackLearn what gross margin is first. Don’t be afraid to charge what you’re worth. Can’t manage what you can’t measure.    Last labor rate adjustment?$30/hr since last August this year. Parts are becoming harder and harder to get margins on. Wanted to improve bonus structure and improve the bottom line.    Share a car count idea?Stop going for more car count, make every car count more. Every car needs a thorough written inspection. Every discovery needs to be estimated. 100% of the estimate needs to be presented.    How long ago did you update your website?Last month- complete revamp of site, chat bot  The most recent update to your processes/systemConstantly updating! Only way you can successfully do that is by having communication with the team in regular meetings.   Are you paperless? When did you go?6-7 years ago- saw the need for it a long time ago with streamlining technician writing in abbreviation and wrong parts got ordered. Name something you tried that didn’t work?Hybrid battery rebuilding- learned that instead of needing to be the “first” for everything, can take a step back and wait before jumping in.     What is your dream car? Do you own it?Don’t currently but owned it twice- mercedes high performance 2 door CLK63 AMG Convertible. Sold it in town- a new customer knew it had an oil leak that would be fixed during the first oil change, turned out it had to be pulled out to be fixed. Frank bought the car back from the owner. Sold it a year later.   Resources:
      Thanks to Frank Scandura for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast. Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers. Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP's HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
      Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email
      Join the Ecosystem - Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE.
      Buy me a coffee

NAPA AutoCare’s PROimage program makes it easy for you to make the most of the NAPA brand. A PROimage upgrade lets you maintain your shop’s identity as a reliable, locally-owned business while letting your customers and potential customers know you’re partnering with NAPA, the most recognized and trusted name in the automotive aftermarket. AutoCare Centers that have completed a PROimage exterior upgrade enjoy an average 23 percent sales increase during the first year. You can also choose to go PROimage on the interior and transform your customer waiting area from merely utilitarian to warm and welcoming. You can even get a free look by visting www.NAPAAutoCare.com and clicking on the NAPA PROimage link under the NAPA PROimage tab. Of course, the AutoCare site is also the place to go to find out about all the advantages being part of the NAPA family has to offer.
      Learn more about PROimage and the hundreds of other benefits NAPA offers. Talk with your servicing NAPA store or visit www.NAPAAutoCare.com visit the NAPA Benefits Center, at www.napabenefitscenter.com or call the NAPA Benefits Center at 844-627-2123.

• Similar Tagged Content

• Our Sponsors