Quantcast

Joe Marconi

Monro buys Car-X franchise biz

Monro Muffler Brake Inc. has acquired the Car-X Tire & Auto retail auto service brand — comprising 146 franchised locations in 10 states — and will continue to operate the business as a franchise.

​Here's an article in Tire Business Magazine about the acquisition:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20150521/NEWS/150529980/monro-buys-car-x-franchise-biz#

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      I was wondering how many of you are franchise owners and can you tell us about your experience being part of a franchise system.

I think it would be interesting to independents to see the differences in a franchise, as opposed to creating and developing your own company.

Thanks in advance!

• By Joe Marconi
      The Advance Auto Parts purchase of General Parts International/CARQUEST makes Advance one of the largest auto parts providers in North America. This deal allows Advance to have a larger penetration into the commercial market. The good news, according the Wall Street Journal, is that the commercial market is a larger and faster-growing than a fading Do-it-yourself market.

No one really knows the total impact of this deal. But one thing is for sure, Advance Auto Parts sees a future opportunity in the professional market, which consists in big numbers; the independent repair shops.
    • By Junior
      My Carquest rep came in today and spread the news that Carquest was bought by Advanced autoparts in a deal made in the last hours of last year. Execs at Advanced don't seem to be giving much input on their view as to how they will use their new acquisition. As it stands the best we know is that Carquest wholesale will remain mostly the same for about two years.

We have been buying heavily from Carquest over the past year. They are now our number one vendor for same day service parts. Quality is good, price is competitive and service is good. I am concerned though about how this change will effect the company. We don't do business with API, their low quality low price business model is not something that compliments a high quality repair shop like ours. Who else buys a lot from Carquest and what do you think you might do if Carquest/Advanced becomes the Walmart equivalent on the auto industry.

Press release

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=130560&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1770210&highlight=
    • By Joe Marconi
      The only major franchise stores in my area are Sears and 2 Valvoline quick lubes. We do have an independent Goodyear store and another Tire Store, Mavis Discount Tire. There are many independent shops, and they all seem to do ok. For my area, the franchise stores do not appear to be a threat.

I do know that this is not the case around the country, where many shops are located with minutes of a Pep Boys, multiple quick lubes, major tire stores, AutoZone, etc. How do you compete with this, or do you need to?
    • By Joe Marconi
      Understanding What the Customer Buys

How we position ourselves in our market will determine how successful we are. Too often we offer services and products that we “hope” customers will buy.

First we need to understand that the customer never buys a product, a customer buys the satisfaction of a want. And price is always a secondary consideration.

In order to become successful in business, we need to understand what are customer perceive as being important to them. What is of value to them is what they want to buy. One mistake many businesses make is trying to guess what’s important to their customers. That can only be answered by your customers.

If you don’t know what's important and most valuable to your customers, find out by asking them. If you do know, ask your customers if you are delivering.
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors