10 Ways to Lose Employees
One of the things that I have learned over the years is how much influence the boss has in regard to morale and employee retention. And looking back, I have made mistakes in that department, too many mistakes. The past few years I had to take a long hard look at myself and realize that in order to maintain a healthy work atmosphere, I have to set the tone and the mood for the shop. My actions, my mood, whether happy or sad, will spread through the shop like a virus. Now, that virus can be bad or it can be a good.
So, I put together a few things to consider and the impact on your employees. Oh, and by the way, we have reasons why we dont walk around each day with a big fat smile on our faces: bounced checks, comebacks, taxes, rent increases, workers comp increases, family issues, on and on. But, the reality is we put ourselves in the position of leadership and we have an obligation to our employees for not only their greater good, but the greater good of our families and for ourselves too.
10 Ways to Lose Employees:
1. Never say good morning or good night to an employee or ask how he or she is doing
2. Never ask an employee about their family or what they did over the weekend
3. Only address an employee when he or she has a comeback or made a mistake
4. Never ask an employee their opinion on any matter
5. Never smile
6. Speak constantly in a negative tone
7. Never give praise
8. Never recognize the accomplishments of anyone
9. Never sit down with your employees and have an open discussion
10. Walk around like you are a cast member from the Walking Dead
Well, there you have it. I am sure there are more. Feel free to add your own Ways to lose Employees. We can all learn.
Oh, by the way, have I asked you lately, Hows the family doing?
Source: 10 Ways to Lose Employees