Quantcast

• Similar Forum Topics

• By spencersauto
      We've been searching for a new lube technician since October and I am beginning to wonder if we will ever find someone. We have had at least 5 not show for an interview, a few that showed up late and the best one was doing a working interview and never came back. If this a preview of what we have to look forward to with this generation of up and coming individuals wanting to get into the autmotive industry, then we are doomed.
    • By xrac
      My how times have changed.  Over the past 24 months I have experienced something that has never occurred before in my 19 years in the business.   On four different occasions I have interviewed potential employees, extended a job offer, offer was verbally accepted, a start day was established, we shook hands, and then the person never shows up and is never heard from again. Have any of you had a experience like that? I figure the place where they were at upped the offer and they decided that staying was easier and safer than leaving. 
    • By lakesidetire
      When do you know it's time to hire someone? Who do you hire ? Just a tech to do light work like or a mechanic to do the more profitable jobs? Is it best to 1099 them or what? I looked at my numbers for the month of December 2014 and it was on the 10th of the month this year. My numbers so far this month has doubled for the whole month from last year. I have to Joe for having this site to help use network and help each other. The things I've learned so far is what is making a difference at my shop right now and it's just the beginning for me!! Thanks guys!!
    • By Joe Marconi
      Too many shop owners go into hire-crisis mode when they lose an employee. With no real plan, you ask everyone you know, put ads out, and research online sources. But all too often, you end up hiring the wrong person. Why? Desperation. You need to fill a position with someone.

Hiring is perhaps one of the most important aspects of running a business. You need to hire right, and that means taking your time, interview as many candidates as possible and look for reasons not to hire as much as reasons to hire someone.

​You also need a plan before you lose an employee. You need to adopt the strategy of recruiting. Constantly look for the top talent in your area and build your pipeline. Connect with this top talent and create a contact list. Maintain a relationship.

​With this strategy, when the time comes when you lose an employee, you will be in a better position to fill that spot with the right person.

• By incollision&autorepair
      First of all i want to thank all who contribute and provide awesome advice and support.
      The question that i have is not new and probably bothers all of us.
      Q... I am looking for a lead technician / shop foreman. I have tried for a while and seem to not get results. I need some advice from all that have been in the same situation. ( I am in buffalo ny)

i am doing

monster (not consistenty)
      CareerBuilder
      indeed (paid per click budget)
      craigslist ( renewed weekly, rotating ads)
      family friends ( got a mechanic)
      tool trucks
      parts stores( hand out a reward 3x5 flyer)
      road sign
      lawn sign

Thank you
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors