Quantcast

insomniac

Pre Existing Damage Report and My Situation

So right now im my shop I am dealing with a customer who is claiming we scratched there car in like 5 different places. Unfortunately we have been slacking on the pre existing damage report. Because really my multi point inspection form does not have a good one. Its just a 3 inch by 1 1/2 picture of a car and we are to circle the damaged areas. Now in this case here on out final road test a rock from a truck hit the windshield and put a nice chip in it. I called teh customer and explained what happened and told her I would replace the windshield for her which I did. Now half hour after she picks it up she is claiming of all this damage on the car. She stopped by today to show me the damage and it is on the d/s and p/s/ front door and a little on the fenders. Its not like one scratch its multiple blemishes obviously not caused at the same time. So being a new business and concerned with her blasting me on the internet I am most likely going to take this one on the chin and get it fixed. She had brought me in 2 estimates for 1000 dollars. I told her to go to MAACO and they gave me an estimate for 525. The thing that really bugs me is she kinda just wants me to cut her a check for 500 bucks so it appears she is obviously just is looking for money. How would you handle this?

Also in the future I am going to be doing a pre existing damage report on each car that is dropped off. But lets face it, most of the cars we see are 100k miles plus with multiple blemishes on them. What is the tolerance of what you are marking down? And even if you have the report they can always claim you added that in.

Thoughts?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bantar
      I had a customer claim that we damaged his car in multiple spots on the driver side rocker panel during an oil change.   We don't lift vehicles for oil changes, so at best, the closest we come to touching the rocker panels is entering the vehicle.   One of our shoes might get caught when entering.   This is an elderly gentleman and I do think he's being honest, but also think he is confused.    He saw some of our guys milling about near his car (actually working on computer in the bay) and thought they were looking at some damage on his car.   So, when he got home, he inspected it thoroughly.  This guy waxes / polishes his car daily, but has problems bending over anyway, so I don't think he's paid strict attention to the rocker panel.  In fact, he blamed us for some road tar that we were able to scrape off.   Not sure that his vision is great either.   But he loves his car.
      In our observation, it looks like a scuff mark maybe from hitting rubber debris on the road, but at the same time, it appears to be under the clear coat as it won't rub off.   See the attached pictures.  I'm hoping someone that knows paint might be able shed some light on what I'm seeing.   We've only taken pictures and tried to rub it off with fingers and fingernails.  We have not tried any solvents or cleaners.   I'm sure he would bring the car back for another inspection.

• By carjunkie
      Hi Everyone. 
      I have been lurking on this board for a while. I have read a lot of posts and have been shopping for a shop to buy. I have heard and seen so many misrepresentations from existing shops that it's difficult for me to trust any seller's claims.
      I would like to have about a six bay shop. So, my question is buy a shop or build a shop? I am very interested to hear any comments from the experienced.
      Thanks in advance
    • By AutoShopOwner
      NEW YORK, March 27, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The global Automotive Repair & Maintenance Service Market is estimated to reach USD 810.30 Billion by 2026, according to a new report by Reports and Data. This can be mainly associated with the growing need for passenger’s safety. Increase in awareness related to vehicle maintenance and safety is expected to drive the market. Increased road safety awareness among the general population, the average maintenance and repair expenses by an individual are anticipated to drive the market. Moreover, an increase in sales of used cars in many regions, especially in emerging economies; technological advancements pertaining to vehicle safety, are also fuelling market growth. Furthermore, cost effectiveness, availability of service flexibility and reliable maintenance services are also propelling the market growth globally. Based on statistics, increase in average age of vehicle due to technological advancements and the average miles driven per vehicle are also significant factors stimulating market demand.
      North America region is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period with the largest share of 32.50% in 2018. The improving countries are the primary consumers of vehicles in this region. The Automotive repair & maintenance service market in the Asia Pacific has been expanding owing to the rise in technological advances in the area.
      Request for a sample of this research report at: https://www.reportsanddata.com/sample-enquiry-form/1158
      Further key findings from the report suggest
      In the Automotive Repair & Maintenance service Market, the tire segment accounts for the largest share of 33.48% in 2018 due to the growing extensive use of vehicles for other daily purposes. Tire services include tire pressure monitoring, replacement of tires, repair of flat tires and misalignment of tires. Battery services cover replacement of automotive batteries. Wear and tear parts include brake wheel end, shock absorbers, driveline, engine, and suspension. Collision body includes crash parts, coating and painting, refinishing and repair materials. In terms of service providers, the automotive repair and maintenance services market is segmented as an automotive dealership, locally owned repair shops, general franchise repairs, and others. The automotive dealership segment is estimated to drive the growth of the market. Presence of various locally owned repair shops is also growing at a significant rate due to the increase in inclination of consumers toward the locally owned shops. Based on service type, the car maintenance service type is valued at USD 299.88 billion in 2018 and is estimated to reach USD 478.08 billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period. Some of the trending possibilities in the automotive repair and maintenance services market are an inclination towards the adoption of remote vehicle diagnostics system and collaboration & partnership between small locally owned repair shops & fleet and leasing firms. APAC is considered to be the second largest market for automotive repair and service market with revenue of USD 140.39 billion in 2018 and is estimated to reach USD 218.78 billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 5.5%, due to the presence of several automotive hubs in the region. Moreover, large consumption of passenger vehicle across Asia Pacific is also driving the growth. Europe is estimated to grow at a CAGR 4.4%, during the forecast period. Key participants include Arnold Clark Automobiles Limited, Driven Brands, Inc., Ashland Automotive, Inc., Asbury Automotive Group, Inc., Belron International Ltd., Carmax Autocare Center, Jiffy Lube International, Inc., Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, Halfords Group Plc., Firestone Complete Auto Care. Read more at: https://www.reportsanddata.com/report-detail/automotive-repair-and-maintenance-service-market
      For the purpose of this report, Reports and Data have segmented global Automotive Repair & Maintenance service Market on the basis of Parts, Application, Service type, Technology, Service provider and region:
      Parts Outlook (Volume, Thousand Units; and Revenue, USD Million; 2016-2026)
      Tires Wear and tear parts Collision body Batteries Others Service Type Outlook (Volume, Thousand Units; and Revenue, USD Million; 2016-2026)
      Car Maintenance Services Car Repair Service Application Outlook (Volume, Thousand Units; and Revenue, USD Million; 2016-2026)
      Passenger vehicle Commercial vehicle Mechanical Technology Outlook (Volume, Thousand Units; and Revenue, USD Million; 2016-2026)
      Microcomputers Aluminum Wireless Others Ask for Discount at: https://www.reportsanddata.com/discount-enquiry-form/1158
      Service provider Outlook (Volume, Thousand Units; and Revenue, USD Million; 2016-2026)
      Automobile dealerships General franchise repairs Specialty shops Locally owned repair Shops Others Regional Outlook (Volume, Thousand Units; and Revenue, USD Million; 2016-2026)
      North America U.S.
        Europe Germany UK
        Asia Pacific China India South-east Asia
        Latin America Brazil
        MEA Browse More Reports of Automotive and Transportation Category At: https://www.reportsanddata.com/report/category/automotive-services
      About Reports and Data
      Reports and Data is a market research and consulting company that provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. Our solutions purely focus on your purpose to locate, target and analyze consumer behavior shifts across demographics, across industries and help client’s make a smarter business decision. We offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a multiple industries including Healthcare, Technology, Chemicals, Power, and Energy. We consistently update our research offerings to ensure our clients are aware about the latest trends existent in the market. Reports and Data has a strong base of experienced analysts from varied areas of expertise.
      Contact Us:
      John Watson
      Head of Business Development
      Reports And Data | Web: www.reportsanddata.com
      Direct Line: +1-800-819-3052
      E-mail: [email protected]
    • By CAautogroup
      Hello all,
      We were recently servicing a vehicle for brake work due to low pedal depression. Vehicle presented with brake pads metal to metal, scored rotors, and 2 seized calipers as well as water in the brake fluid lines.
      After replacing the pads, rotors, calipers,  and purging the lines, there was still depression noted. We recommended replacing the brake master cylinder. Customer agreed and part was ordered from the dealer. After installation and purging the lines several times, it appeared slightly better though depression in the pedal was still present. We advised the customer that more time was needed with the vehicle and insisted on taking the vehicle as is cause "we did not know what we were doing". Vehicle was at the shop for about 2-3 days. Payment was made so we could no longer hold the vehicle.
      Come to find out, the customer is now suing for the amount of repairs though they are justified as the parts were in need of replacement (we still have the old parts). 
      Any suggestions as to how to proceed? 
      Thanks for your thoughts and input in advance.

- Nick 
    • By Elite Worldwide Inc.
      By Chris Monroe of Elite
      We have all felt that empty feeling in our gut when a client walks back in the door with the “look” shortly after installing that new set of tires on their BMW.  As they uncomfortably begin to describe some rim damage that didn’t exist when the car was dropped off…yuck.

Yes, you have policies in place to address such situations, but for whatever reason, the training on quality control has failed and now you are left to deal with the fallout.  What next?

It is obvious there is a quality control issue that must be addressed, but how you take the next steps are very critical to the image of your business, as well as the credibility of your team.  

The first step is to remain calm while reviewing with the client their concerns.  Walk out to the vehicle and allow them to express what they feel is of issue.  Once you have listened and observed with sincerity, start the process of restoration.

In our case, we had an incorrect set up on the tire machine with a low profile run-flat that ultimately allowed contact with the rim.  This scratched the lip in multiple places.  In addition, the technician continued with the installation without stopping to involve the advisor so we could get in front of the issue with the client.  The technician did tell the advisor, but the timing was such that the client looked at the assembly on the car prior to checking out.  Imagine how much easier this would have been had the advisor gotten to the client immediately to make them aware and assure them that we would professionally restore or replace the wheel.

Needless to say, I spent the next day with each and every technician reviewing the situation and the importance of why we have policy and process in place.  Our technicians are now well aware of what to do (stop immediately and report the issue to the advising team) if damage occurs or could occur to a client’s vehicle, and understand the importance of getting in “front” of these concerns.

A better example this week where a technician wisely notated worn lug nuts and a partially damaged center cap “before” we began work.  He gave the advisor a quick heads up that enabled a client visit to the vehicle to see in person and discuss the concerns.   Not only did we replace the brakes on the car, but also replaced 20 lug-nuts and 4 center caps!  The service concluded with the client scheduling another vehicle for service and thanking our team for being honest and helping resolve the issues.  (This ain’t rocket science folks)

If you are in the automotive service business, incidents can and will happen.  Coach and train your team on how to handle these situations, and demonstrate how important timing is with advising your client.  Your shop's reputation and credibility ride on it.
      This article was provided by Chris Monroe, an industry leading shop owner who recently won the 2018 Tire Dealer of the Year Award, and a Business Development Coach who helps other shop owners reach their goals through the Elite Coaching Program. 

View full article
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors