Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Gonzo

Article: Mr. I Don't Know - - - - Some People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Get Behind A Wheel.

Mr. I Don’t Know

Automotive repair has its ups and downs, just like any other trade does. Problems crop up on a car and mechanics fix them. There usually are only four types of repairs.

One - Where something has failed due to normal wear and tear or accident related.

Two - A manufacturer defect.

Third – Mother Nature’s lends a hand, either from natural elements or one of Mother Nature’s numerous friends, i.e.… bugs, deer, snakes, rodents, etc....

Fourth - The most common one, and regrettably sometimes the hardest to solve … somebody has worked on it before without knowing what they were doing.

You can sort out these different types of repairs at the front desk when a new customer arrives to drop their car off. It just takes asking the right questions. Most people when asked a few basic questions like; “What brings you here today?” or “What seems to be the problem with the car?” are generally straight forward with their answers. They’re usually very cordial, friendly, and quite sympathetic to the car’s condition and to the mechanic they are entrusting their pride and joy to for repair. Sometimes they’re just repeating what the last shop told them was wrong with, but that’s OK, it just might take a few more questions to get on the right diagnostic page. It doesn’t take long before you know what kind of repair you’re getting into. But, like anything else… there are extremes.

Two fellas walked up to the front desk and were met with the customary hellos and what brings you here today type of greetings. They seemed like nice guys, nothing out of the ordinary, but instead of answering with a description of their problem it was, “I don’t know.” It kind of threw me for a second, but I gathered my thoughts and proceeded with the typical evaluation questions to see if I could get an idea as to why they were here.

“Does it drive differently than it used to, or is there any warning lights on?”

“No.”

“Is this something to do with it not starting?”

“I don’t know.”

Just to lighten up the situation, I tried joking around a bit to see if it brought out a different type of response, “Do you need wheel bearings or a battery? Maybe the wipers aren’t working? I’m running out of ideas here fellas, how about some hints as to what might be wrong with the car?”

“It has a problem.”

“What kind of problem?”

“I don’t know.” (I asked for that response, didn’t I?)

“Well, I need some clues as to what part or section of the car that isn’t working correctly. It’s not like I can check everything. Well, I could, but that would be rather expensive.”

“I don’t want to spend any money.”

“Then why are you here?”

“The other shop said you could fix my problem.”

“That part I can do… I can fix just about any problem… BUT, what is the problem?”

“I don’t know.”

“Can I call the other shop and ask them? What’s the name of the other shop?”

“I forgot their name.”

This went on for what seemed hours. Back and forth with the “I don’t knows” and not once did I get any idea as to what I was supposed to be looking at. It didn’t matter if I mentioned something about the check engine light or whether or not his bumpers were on straight it was the same answer. “I don’t know.”

I got a feeling this other shop that he unfortunately forgot not only the name of but where they were in town sent this guy my way just so they didn’t have to deal with him anymore. (At least it seemed that way.) This whole situation was getting way too bizarre even for my wacky standards. Time to send these guys packing.

“Sir if and when you finally decide on what needs repaired and realize no matter what is wrong with it that you’ll being spending a few bucks to get it tested and repaired then and only then bring the car back. Since that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen today I’ll have ask you to leave because I have other customer’s vehicles in the shop that have problems and who are willing to pay for my services. You’ve wasted enough of my time already.

“So, you’re not going to fix my car?”

“No.”

“Why is that?”

(My turn) “I don’t know.”

With that the guy and his buddy headed out the front door and drove off. Haven’t seen them again since. Just goes to show, if the information from the customer doesn’t lead in any direction or there isn’t any clues that a good detective/technician can use as a guide in finding a solution and they’re not willing to pay for your services… it’s time to move on.

This was an extreme situation to say the least. Even in some of those real odd ball problem descriptions it does get pretty tough to find the right questions to ask in order to get the root of the problem, but it can be done. Sometimes just getting the customer to tell you the important facts can be harder than repairing the car.

How often has this happened before and will it happen again? Hmm, let me think on that for a second. How about I give you my best professional answer on that one… … … “I don’t know”.

Click here to view the article

• Like 1

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Like 1

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      The other day, a customer asked my service advisor, if he would price match a set of tires.  This customer got an online quote from the internet; a local TIre Store know for discouting tires. 
      My rule, I don't price match. My prices are competive and fair. 
      Would you price match just to get the job, and sacrifice profit?   Remember, no one really knows the true cost of any service or repair until the car is in the shop.  So, internet quotes are not set in stone.   
    • By Joe Marconi
      The mild fall appears to have caused a slow down for many shops. We have seen this before.  But, winter tempertures are here, and the threat of snow will boost repair shops.  
    • By Alex
      Automotive Batteries
      What is your preferred brand of automotive batteries and why?
      Who is the supplier of that brand to you?
      What are the battery series that are available in that brand, and what are the warranties?
      Who manufactures your choice of battery?
    • By AutoShopOwner
      IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 30, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Kelley Blue Book announces its new Auto Repair Guide experience, addressing both consumer and automotive industry needs for a principal source of trustworthy recommendations related to servicing and maintaining a vehicle. The all-new experience on KBB.com guides consumers through three primary service categories: Recalls, Maintenance and Repairs.  KBB.com is also including the ability to allow consumers to schedule service online through the Featured Auto Repair Center, a pilot with its sister company, Xtime.
      To point consumers in the right direction, the Auto Repair Guide on KBB.com helps car owners answer their top service and repair questions: What do I need to get done? When should I get it done? Where should I get it done? How much should it cost? With this new experience, Kelley Blue Book serves as a trusted advisor that connects consumers and service departments.
      Kelley Blue Book's all-new Auto Repair Guide includes:
      Information on recalls, maintenance and repair work
      A Fair Repair Range estimator—similar to the Kelley Blue Book Price Advisor tool—to guide consumers on service and repair price ranges, based on average dealer service pricing
      The ability to schedule service appointments with local dealerships directly on KBB.com through the Featured Auto Repair Center
      Kelley Blue Book, backed by more than 90 years of experience and the most trusted third-party automotive brand,1 enables both consumers and dealers to remain on the same page for pricing and now, in the service lanes with its integration with Xtime, the leading integrated software platform for retail automotive service departments.
      "Car shoppers have long trusted Kelley Blue Book to provide them with vehicle values, new-car information and more," said Jim Roche, vice president at Cox Automotive. "With this new auto repair feature on KBB.com, now they can rely on Kelley Blue Book throughout the ownership experience for guidance on service and repair costs, all while experiencing the same trust and transparency they've come to expect from the brand."
      Consumers have negative perceptions about getting their vehicle serviced at dealerships, citing unreasonable total cost, overcharging, and labor or parts charges among top reasons for not using their dealership service department2.  In reality, common maintenance and services provided by dealerships are on par from a pricing standpoint with independent offerings3. Kelley Blue Book's new Auto Repair Guide also makes service appointment scheduling easier for both consumers and dealers. Car owners can see the Fair Repair Range, select a service provider, and book service without leaving the site. Meanwhile, the Featured Auto Repair Center can connect dealers with engaged car owners, increasing consumer trust and confidence by validating their service pricing within the Kelley Blue Book Fair Repair Range.
      "The complexities of how to maintain and repair a vehicle, as well as understanding the associated costs, are a major pain point for most consumers," said Tully Williams, fixed operations director of The Niello Company in Sacramento, California. "Not only has our dealership increased service cost transparency and communication with our customers, but they also have an increased sense of trust from knowing they are being fairly charged for every service visit."
      To learn more about Kelley Blue Book Auto Repair Guide visit https://www.kbb.com/auto-repair, https://www.kbb.com/car-maintenance-service and https://www.kbb.com/ownership/recalls.
      For more information and news from Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com, visit www.kbb.com/media/, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kelleybluebook (or @kelleybluebook), like our page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/kbb, and follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/kbb_com/ (or @kbb_com).
      About Kelley Blue Book (www.kbb.com)
      Founded in 1926, Kelley Blue Book, The Trusted Resource®, is the vehicle valuation and information source trusted and relied upon by both consumers and the automotive industry. Each week the company provides market-reflective values on its top-rated website KBB.com, including its famous Blue Book® Trade-In Values and Kelley Blue Book® Price Advisor tool, which provides a range for what consumers can reasonably expect to pay for a vehicle in their area. Car owners looking to sell immediately can also get a redeemable, transaction-ready offer with Kelley Blue BookSM Instant Cash Offer. The company also provides vehicle pricing and values through various products and services available to car dealers, auto manufacturers, finance and insurance companies, and governmental agencies. Kelley Blue Book is a Cox Automotive brand.
      About Cox Automotive
      Cox Automotive Inc. makes buying, selling, owning and using cars easier for everyone. The global company's 34,000-plus team members and family of brands, including Autotrader®, Clutch Technologies, Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, VinSolutions®, vAuto® and Xtime®, are passionate about helping millions of car shoppers, 40,000 auto dealer clients across five continents and many others throughout the automotive industry thrive for generations to come. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises Inc., a privately-owned, Atlanta-based company with revenues exceeding $20 billion. coxautoinc.com
      2018 Cox Automotive Car Buyer Journey Cox Automotive Service Industry Study 2018 Cox Automotive Service Industry Study 2018 SOURCE Kelley Blue Book
      Related Links
      https://www.kbb.com
    • By Mail Shark
      It’s critical that you understand the pain points of your targeted prospects in relation to the products and services you offer in order to be able to strategically choose the marketing content that will be most compelling for them.  This will enable your client to react and consider you for their next repair or maintenance service.  

For example, in a 2017 Survey from AAA, the findings show that one-third of drivers in the US could not afford a repair bill that was unexpected. 33.33% is a pretty significant number of vehicle owners that have tight budgets.
      With that in mind, if you offer any type of financing options for repairs, it’s important that your marketing message contains content that informs your prospects that you have options.   These options will help them get financing for their repairs or maintenance and get them back on the road fast.
      Depending upon how much content and space you have available on your marketing, there are a few different ways to promote your financing.
      Below are a few ideas to promote financing options on your direct mail marketing.
      1.    Create a burst or some other type of call out that promotes your financing option.
      2.    If you are listing other benefits your shop offers, you can include financing info here.
      · Financing Options Available
      · Quick & Easy Financing Available
      · NO Credit Check Financing
      3.    Utilize your financing company’s info, logo, etc. to create a larger impact.
      Below is an example of a new project that just came by my desk demonstrating one of the many ways to promote your shop's financing. This example shows one side of a Jumbo 8.5x10.5 postcard.
      Included is a bullet point calling out “Quick & Easy Financing Options” under the: Why Choose Auto Clinic? section.  Since this is a critical message, we placed it first in our bulleted list based on the Primacy/Recency Effect, in order to drive home to the consumer . In other words, people tend to recall information provided at the beginning of a list (Primacy), and end of a list(Recency) better than information presented in the middle of the list.
      We then reinforced this with another message addressing their customers' potential problem: “Unexpected Repair”, & our Solution “Fix it Today! $0 Down”.  In addition, we incorporated the EASYPAY FINANCE branding. 

Finally, knowing that 33% of drivers may be struggling financially is also a compelling reason to have a strategic coupon offering. Giving prospects the ability to save on repairs, in conjunction with providing them financing options, can help position you as the best option for their repairs.

Josh Davis
      Mail Shark
      Executive Vice President of Sales
      Direct: 484-948-1611
      Email: [email protected]
      www.themailshark.com/AutoDirectMail

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors