Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Gonzo

Article: It Doesn't Matter - - - Have ya heard that from someone? Here's my wife's story... too funny

Posted Image

It Doesn't Matter

My wife, who's a very accomplished longarm quilter, author, and quilting teacher, came home from one of her trips to the local quilt stores to check out the latest fabrics, and to drop off some quilts she had finished for her customers. While she was there a lady walked up to the counter person and asked if she knew anything about longarm machine quilting.

"I don't have one in my store,"the counter lady told her, "But that lady over there (pointing to my wife) is one of the best long arm quilters in this area. You could ask her."

I've been married to my wife for a longtime, and I've seen the type of work she can turn out on her big machine. It's stunning to say the least, and to be recognized by fellow quilters is as important to her as it would be to any mechanic out there to be recognized by their peers as well. Her years of skilled artistry were showing through her story as she began to tell it. (Just like any other skilled job, when you meet a true professional… you know it.) It's not the first time she's been stopped to answers questions, and she's more than prepared to answer any and all questions regarding the type of work she loves to do.

Oh, the tales she can tell! It wasn't hard to relate her story to one of my situations, and I certainly could imagine the whole thing as if I was talking to someone about car repair. But, I'll let her tell her story first.

The lady approached her and said, "Yes, I'd like to know what you do with those long poles."

My wife answered, "Poles? Are you referring to the long horizontal poles you attached the quilts to?"

"Yea, yea, whatever, but that doesn't matter. Which one is the first one?"

"Which machine do you have?"

"That doesn't matter, they're all the same."

"No, actually they're not," my wife told her. "Some have 3 and some have 4 poles."

"That doesn't matter. Where do you start?"

"That would depend on which side of the machine you're standing on," my wife said, trying to make light of the situation.

"Oh, that doesn't matter which side...so which is the first one?"

There was no getting around the "doesn't matter",and it was soon apparent that not one question could be answered without it in the answer. After a while the lady moved on through the store. She seemed a bit miffed that her questions weren't answered by this so called "expert". The lady found another patron just around the corner of a big display, and in a loud voice the lady told the other patron in the store. "As you can tell I'm obviously not going to get any help here. I asked another long arm operator at another store the same questions, and would you believe, she wouldn't tell me anything either. Do you know of any experts that would tell me a thing or two?"

Both the shop owner and my wife just bit their tongues at that point.

My wife, who definitely knows how to deliver a sarcastic come-back said to the shop owner in a whispered voice, "Whoever she asks, it doesn't matter."

I find the same kind of situations at the repair shop. There are a lot of times someone will call or ask for some obscure part that I just don't have a clue what they are trying to describe. Maybe some people can't grasp the concept that all cars and all parts are not alike.

Standing at the service counter while talking on the phone, and staring at the computer I've got to ask the questions that are in front of me on the screen. The first question is, "What kind of car is it?" If the response is, "That doesn't matter, they're all the same", I know it's going to be a long day at the counter for sure.

I wonder if this would work at a restaurant when ordering a glass of wine? Just try telling the waiter it doesn't matter which bottle they bring.How about when you're at the doctor's office, talking to the plumber, or let's not forget… talking to the judge?!?! I would think facts and information matter in those cases. I can only imagine what the outcome would be if after you're pulled over and the police officer asks you, "How fast did you think you were going?" If you answered, "You know, it really doesn't matter how fast I was going", you might be looking at a long stay in a small cell for the evening.

Oh,and it doesn't matter that the engine is covered in an inch of grease and grime. Heck, I'm a mechanic… I'm supposed to be covered in grime. Huh? Where did that notion spring from… does it matter? … You bet your spark plugs it matters! I prefer a clean work surface,… you… Mr.Unconcerned on the other hand… obviously… it just doesn't matter to you.

It's those perceptions of how something works, or is figured out by the professional, that is misconstrued by the novice. It all must look so easy from the other side of the wrench, or in the case of my wife's little story… the longarm machine. I have to admit my wife had a smile from ear to ear, because she knew she had stumbled upon a situation and experience that I tend to write about. The smile was contagious, and soon I wanted to hear all the details of her adventure.

In rare cases, you know, it really doesn't matter. But try ordering a part for a car and not have all the details that the counter person has to answer. Sometimes, the questions seem like they are way off in left field. Like, "Is it a 4 door or a 2 door?" or "Does it have 13 inch rotors or 12 inch rotors?" and to think all I wanted to order was a tie rod. Even though their questions seem so far-fetched, there's probably a good reason why they have to ask those questions.

Just once I'd like to push things to the limit. You know, like when the wife asks me what I'd like for dinner, I'm going to try the "it doesn't matter"approach. (Just to see where that gets me.) I'm betting I'll probably end up with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Well, I asked for it. Oh sure, I was thinking maybe meatloaf, or a nice Italian dinner... but "It doesn't matter" got in the way of the decision making.

So the next time I try to get more information,the right type of information mind you, and they say, "It doesn't matter" I'm going to ask them why? Just to see what they'll say.

Chances are they won't know why… but I guess that doesn't matter either.

Click here to view the article

• Similar Topics

• By FROGFINDER
      Anybody offering vehicle pick up and drop off service at customers home or workplace? How is it going? 
    • By Ron Ipach
      === Free Online Training for Auto Repair Shop Owners ===🚨
      Okay... I can't hold my excitement in any longer because I just finished up the final details on my brand new workshop that I'm going to be offering over the next couple of days only...
      Register here  ==> http://bit.ly/2MNo2jC
      I'm going to cover the three most important things that you could ever do in your shop.
      These are the three things that the top shop owners are doing. They've mastered this and it's the sole reason why they are, well, BETTER than everybody else!
      Don't believe me?
      Register here ==> http://bit.ly/2MNo2jC
      I'd say it's the best training I've done in the 23 years that I've been doing these. Needless to say, I'm excited to show you. Reserve your spot to the free training by clicking the link below.
      Register here ==> http://bit.ly/2MNo2jC
      - Ron Ipach

• By Joe Marconi
      Many of you might have heard of fellow shop owner, Audra Fordin. Her shop is located in Queens, New York and is doing something outstanding for our industry. She has been recognized in the news media and in many trade publications.

She started a web site called WOMEN “AUTO” KNOW. Not only is it brilliant marketing, she has created a program that is actually helping to improve the image of our industry.

I urge you to check out her web site and “Take the Pledge” and join her organization. At the very least, you owe it to yourself and to our industry to find out what she is all about. Trust me, you will be impressed.

Here’s the link to her site and her shop:
      http://www.womenautoknow.com/
    • By Mail Shark
      Here’s a marketing idea I wanted to share with everyone. Auto shop owners and marketers are focused on targeting the local residential community. But what about all of the businesses that employ people who work in the area but don’t live in the area? These employees are all great prospects for auto repair services. The challenge is effectively targeting and reaching them. 

One idea is to  create a flyer that doubles as a break room poster. The poster should have a use case explicitly telling the business owner what you want them to do with your poster. Let them know they simply need to hang it in their break room to share the savings with their colleagues and employees.
      We recommend clipless coupons or specials, which increase the lifespan of the poster and keep it intact for longer than it would if employees were tearing coupons off. Employees will simply take a picture of the coupon they want to use and show it to you upon redemption. Tear-off coupons destroy posters and ultimately result in them being thrown away as soon as the coupons, offers, or specials are torn off. 
      Using break room posters requires some legwork on the part of shop owners, since you’ll need to visit the businesses you want to target. However, the actual cost of the printed flyers is minimal. Let’s say you want to print 100 of them. At around $1 per piece, your total investment is $100 (give or take) depending on who does your printing.
      There really is no downside to giving break room posters a shot. Put a call tracking number on your poster to keep track of anyone who comes in to redeem your coupons to track ROI. There are plenty of companies that can print cheap flyers, so call around. Attached is an example of a popular layout that Mail Shark has been supplying shops with.

Josh Davis
      Mail Shark
      Executive Vice President of Sales
      Direct: 484-948-1611
      Email: [email protected]
      www.themailshark.com/Auto-Direct-Mail
      Example BreakRoom Poster.pdf
    • By Gonzo
      Geek With Attitude   Now I realize I'm only a mechanic, and not an  Ivy League scholar, and I may not qualify as the  next inductee into MENSA, but I’m still a pretty  smart guy.  Oh, I may not know all there is to know  about every single make and model out there, but  I have enough background and technical ability to  solve just about anything that goes wrong with the  modern car.  But, for some people the mere  thought that a mechanic might actually have a  few brain cells just baffles them to no end.     A few weeks ago I got a call from a guy, who  (to the best of my dim witted abilities could tell),  was having a problem with his truck.  He told me  that he pulled all the fuses, and was still having a  battery drain issue he couldn't find.  He even took  it to another shop and wasn't happy with their  results, so he was going to give me a chance at it based on a friend’s recommendation.   “Bring it in tomorrow, and I'll get it checked out for you,” I told him.   The next day a 98 Nissan pickup with 150,000 miles on the odometer was waiting for me.  After getting the owner’s information, I went over what he wanted me to do.  Little did I know this guy had all the answers already.  Not only the answers, but several ideas as to what was causing his problem.  This particular guy was a full-fledged computer geek with more than a little attitude to go along with it. Not only did he think he was dead right about everything, but that every mechanic out there was nothing more than a knuckle dragging grease monkey with the IQ of a walnut.  The more he told me about the problem the more I knew I was in for a long afternoon.  Seems everything that was ever wrong with the car from the day he bought it was leading up to the moment the battery went dead.  But, of course, it's not dead now... that takes a month before it would happen. “A month?” I asked. Oh, he had an answer for that too.  It all started with the front crankshaft seal. The seal was leaking, and it leaked all over the alternator, so he had the seal changed along with a new alternator and battery.  (Both the alternator and the battery came from one of those cheapo depot places; imagine where the seal came from.)  A month went by before the car wouldn't start again.  The seal was leaking too, but not nearly as bad. “Hmm,” I said, sitting at the service counter thinking this whole thing through, “You say it takes a month before it won't start?  Are you driving it much?” “Yes,” he said, “Every day.” This didn't add up, something else is wrong with the car.  As I tried to explain to him that if a car is driven every day, and starts perfectly fine, but then all of a sudden it goes “click-click” it tells me there is something else wrong, and it's probably not a battery drain issue. “Leave it with me, and I'll check it out,” I told him, Apparently, Mr. Geekdumb doesn't have a clue how a car works, other than where to put the gas and which way the key turns.  Not that I’d hold that against him, a lot of people don't know a thing about their transportation.  It's just that most people don't try to sound like they do, especially while standing in front of somebody that just might.    Once I had the truck in the shop it turned out to be a classic problem; the battery bolts were tightened down as far as they could go, but I could easily pull the cables off the battery without any effort at all.  The charge output and parasitic draw tests showed no signs of any problems. As for the seal leak. Well, if you've been around cars with high miles and poor maintenance you've probably seen this before.  The PCV valve was clogged.  Without that, no ventilation for the lower end, and of course, a back pressure builds up and that pressure has to go somewhere... usually out a seal, and the front seal is one of the usual places for it to go. Explaining all this to the computer nerd turned out to be a whole lot tougher than I thought possible.  How one person can act and think that they are so smart, but can't see the logic behind the explanation is beyond me.   The more I tried to explain, the more this guy asked even more bizarre questions. I gave him the run down on the battery clamp issues, “Yes, a loose battery clamp can make the car not start.  Sometimes you'll get one quick turn of the starter then nothing, not even a dome light. Other times you'll get a “click” which is what your car sounds like.  This can also stop or restrict the alternator charge output from entering the battery.”  “So, that’s why my dash lights don’t work?” he asked. “There's no relationship between the charge output and the dash lights.  That's a separate problem. Most likely the rheostat,” I said. “Well, what about the switch on my dome light, it doesn't work. I’m positive that is due to the front seal and the PVC you mentioned.” “Sir, it's a PCV not PVC, “Positive Crankcase Ventilation” is what it stands for, and no, it has nothing to do with your dome light.” “So I have two PCV’s in the car?” “No, just one.” “So where's the PVC?” “That would be in your house most likely. Most homes have PVC plastic piping.” “So, now you're telling me I don't have two PCV’s?” “I never said you had two.”  This went on, and on.  My frustration level was getting to my MAX level, and I'm about to tell this guy just where he can put his PCV and his PVC.  But, after lengthy deliberations he eventually decided to have me at least fix something...one thing…change the battery clamps.  He had the solution for the dash lights, dome light, PCV, and the front seal. I apparently don't understand, or fail to comprehend how all his other problems are related to the dead battery. He showed up later that day to pay for the clamp replacement, and it wasn't hard to tell this guy had an ego driven “micro” chip on his shoulder. He wasn't about to have some lowlife mechanic explain the physics of the internal combustion engine to such an astute individual as himself.           His parting comments as he walked out the door said it all. “I work on highly technical and advanced systems on home and business computers that are far above the complexities of anything you’ll ever see.  I'm better off fixing my own car, because I have a degree, and my intelligence level is far superior than any mechanic.” Really? That's the best you got?  Better luck insulting me next time, fella…leaving is probably the smartest thing you’ve done so far… don’t let the door hit ya on the way out.     
      View full article

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors

Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50

Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50