Quantcast

• Similar Forum Topics

• Employee Uniforms

Hope everyone is having good week with great sales. I am in the process of renegotiating my employee’s uniform contract. It is sorta the same old thing start low then get higher. Could I get some feedback on how you guys are handling this. I have looked at buying uni’s for my guys. In my area it is expensive and they do not want to update my guys. Just lchecking some ideas . Thanks guys. David

By tirengolf, in General Automotive Discussion

• 3 replies
    • Recording requirements & special fees in your state. A little survey

I'm just about to settle on a software package to run my shop. I've found looking at a number of them that there are a few that don't seem to tick the basic boxes in information gathering that we as registered repair shops are required by law to do. I'm wondering if this is a New York specific issue or if this issue happens everywhere. Would you guys comment on your state requirements.  I'd like to pass some more information to the software company I'm working with in hopes that they motivate to make some improvements to satisfy these requirements. Example, in NYS we are required to capture a signature or document approval with the customer complaint to begin work on the vehicle before we touch it. We must record mileage when the vehicle enters the shop and when it is finished. We must state the warranty for each item and the terms and time limit for any guarantee on repair work. We have to collect a non taxable $2.50 waste tire management fee for every new tire sold. We have a state safety and emissions inspection that is varies in fee and is non taxable.

By Junior, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 0 replies
    • The person answering your phone may be killing your repair shop

A few weeks back I had a problem with my refrigerator.  I got a referral and called an appliance repair company. I called three times and each time I called this is what happened: "C and E appliance, please hold."  I was put on hold three times for about 5 minutes. After being put on hold each time, a women would say, "What's the problem?"  No engagement, no sign of interest for me the customer, no signs of caring.  I gave the women a brief description of the problem and each time she told me someone would call me back.  Well, no one did. So, I called for the 4th time, and as the person answered the phone I said, "DO NOT PUT ME ON HOLD."  There was silence, so I continued.  I explained to her that she has spoken to me three times,  I left messages three times and three times you told me that someone would call me back.  She replied,  "You are talking to the wrong person, if you have any complaints, write a letter to my boss, after all he won't listen to me anyway."  I hung up the phone and called another company. The lesson and takeaway here is simple: Who's answering your phone?  The wrong people on the phone in your shop can kill your business.  Have meetings with your people. Make sure you review your phone skills policy. If you don't have one, create one.  Empower your people to people to handle issues. And make sure you log every phone call. If you feel you have a problem, start recording phone calls.  Your phone is your lifeline to future business.  So, please ask yourself....Who's answering your phone?   

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 5 replies
    • Shop Owners: Celebrate July 4th!

July 4th is this Wednesday. And as a shop owner, it means that sales may suffer.  But, there is more to life than sales.  Celebrate July 4th; commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence!   Speak with your employees about their plans for the holiday. This will send a message that you care about them as people, and that it’s not always about business.    With the right attitude, you will build morale and you will make up those sales. And let’s face it; we all need a little time off now and then.     

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 2 replies
    • Employee Theft

I just felt I had a reason to tell this story if it helps 1 person in here. I was a frequent user of Auto shop Owner 2 years ago, I have been absent for a while dealing with another issue for the first time in my 40 years. I have been in the situation with a 16-year assistant manager who I would have trusted with my last dollar. I thought i ran a pretty tight organization, I am fortunate enough to have a brother who spent 25 years in the business do a lot of the hard CPA type stuff and works very closely with our CPA. Anyway, some issues came up on Quickbooks at the year-end my CPA was not ok with. He called my brother and looked at some of the data issues, my brother in turned told me we need to come back up here tonight and look at a few things. After doing audits for 1 year, long story short my trusted employee thought he had figured out a way to beat the system until it all collapsed on him. It has been the most trying 1.5 years of my life. After a 1 year investigation, they arrested him last week, 2 felony counts with more to come. Trusted employee, friend,  church-going guy. Not a drinker or druggie, Law Enforcement says it is a disease, guys it is rampant in today's business world. What are people thinking today, the computer will catch you. If I could prevent just 1 guy from going through this it is worth my time to write this. It is hard to catch a guy that you trust like family, in a way it was bittersweet although the scheme and coverup is what just gets in my craw. I was not my computer program " Quickbooks"  or anything like that it was just a good guy who turned bad. I beg you guys to watch everything and run the business like a big corporation. As we all know and here the trusting guy or gal is always the one to get you. It happened to me, we turning the page now. See ya 

By tirengolf, in General Automotive Discussion

• 2 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors