Quantcast
    • You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
Gonzo

Article: By The Way --- Since it's here... "Ringing that service bell just a bit too much"

By The Way --- While it's here…

I'm almost done filling out the new work order for Gus. All I have to do is log the job into the computer. He's in for a routine front brake pad replacement, nothing all that complicated. Gus is in a rather happy mood. I always wonder about people who come to a repair shop… "Happy"… there's something up. Most people are glad to see me… but, not "Happy" unless they are trying to butter me up for something else.

Then he asks, "So while it's in the shop could you look at my radio for me, also could ya check the right headlight, it's a little dimmer than the other side. Oh, and by the way, could you look at the wipers, they sometimes don't come on… and could you take a look at the power seat… can't seem to get it to move any more., and since you have it on the lift could you check the driveshaft... been getting a lot of vibration lately. I'm also having a problem with gas mileage too; wouldn't hurt to pull a plug or put it on one of those fancy machines you've got. Shouldn't take long, you know… since it's here and all."

As it seems to be the norm, these requests are for something that isn't even remotely associated with the original work order. It just so happens to be something he thought about while he was standing there. Not that he's overly concerned about having any these other issues repaired. More than likely he's trying to save a buck on repair cost by bundling things together. I tend to look at it as; "if" these other somewhat minor problems were a real issue old Gus would have made arrangements to bring it in a long time ago.

The problem I have with these "by-the-ways" is each of these systems can be extremely involved and not just a "look-at". These days there are so many interconnected computer devices incorporated with just about everything under the hood or dash that a "by-the-way" can eat up a lot of labor time. Time is money, and being in private business as long as I have there's one thing that gets tighter than time itself... and that's money. I might be able to run a quick scan for a trouble code or take a quick glance at the operation of a power seat or wipers and even in some cases be able to check the overall operational controls with a scanner but the actual diagnostics for a lot of systems may take some time or even more in-depth testing than a mere "look" could even begin to cover.

I looked up at Gus and said, "Not a problem, I can look at all this stuff but just to let you know there might be some extra costs involved to get it diagnosed." As usual that gets the "by-the-ways" scribbled off the work order pretty quickly. I don't want to be mean or non-caring… but, I provide a service… this is a service oriented business. Charging a fee is how I pay for all these tools and equipment and how I keep the shop doors open. Oh sure, I sell the parts too, but Gus didn't come here to buy parts. He came to the service counter. Now I might be going out on a limb with this explanation… but I think… he came for service. Now were talking! … That's what I do… I sell service. So when Gus asks me to "look" at something what he's really asking me for… is service. Oh, and "by-the-way" that's my job.

It's not the cars that worry me so much when it comes to performing the repairs. I can attend classes, watch instructional videos, take tests and basically get educated on how to perform those services needed. But, who's educating the consumer on what the cost, time, and expertise needed to do repairs on today's conglomerations of rubber, glass, plastic, wire, metal, and computers that roll down the highway. The days of having good old Uncle Hank pop the hood in the driveway and take care of something are all but a distant memory. Sure they still try… and in some cases it might even be possible. Then again, I've seen enough bailing wire strapped engine parts, spray can painted body panels, duct taped and garbage bag covered windows that I don't need any more help from the peanut gallery… honestly… take it to a professional.

Let's face it, most people shop for a car based on its MPG, performance, comfort or the bells and whistles the manufacturer provides for that particular model. They'll make their payments, keep it gassed up, change the oil and do what needs to be done when it needs done. Then the car gets a few miles on it, a couple of parking lot scraps, a few rock chips, a little oil leak, then a warning light or two… and by the time it really needs some serious work done those "by-the-ways" start adding up.

I suppose with all the sci-fi TV shows and computer savvy people out there they believe there is some magical machine that I can attach to their car and everything will be answered in one swift click of computer key. As a friend of mine puts it, "On the first page of most diagnostic charts it shows "Required tools or tools needed to perform this repair". I don't recall ever seeing a gadget listed that says it will tell you how to solve this problem, and that problem there, and that problem over there, and that little bitty problem over there. Oh, and by the way… that problem right there. It still takes a tech to physically tackle the problems.

This is one of those things about the automotive repair business that is just a myth that I'm sure Gus thinks is reality. In most cases the myths, wives tales, hearsay, or whatever you want to call them, are the norm for the novice consumer. So educating the customer on what it takes to repair things right, do the job correctly is just as important as the continued training in the field of automotive repair. I guess the way some people see it, adding additional work to a job can't be that big of a deal.

By the way, from my side of the counter… it can be.

Just another day in the life of the auto repair biz. Nothing surprises me anymore... but, people think they are the first to ever try stuff like this. Sorry, it might be the first time for them... but it sure ain't the first time for me.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of the story. Not all make it to print... but most do. Look for my column in the automotive trade magazines you get at your shop. Don't forget to leave a comment on their websites too. Every bit helps. Thanx... Gonzo

Click here to view the article

We allow visitors to read the first post of each topic. To read this post, please login or register for a membership. 

• Similar Topics

• By TheTrustedMechanic
      I don't really know what heading to put this under, but I see this as a marketing advantage.  I am the first shop in my area to have a no-charge loaner car program, but now I am one of two.  So it's really a marketing advantage, so here I am, posting under Advertising and Promotions.

I am in the process of replacing my loaner car.  I would like real world advice from my fellow techs and shop owners.  We all have our preferences and we all see certain vehicles in our shops more than others.  Shop A might see very few imports while Shop B might see a mix.  So Shop B could have more insight into what imports have problems and what those problems might be than Shop A. 
      Okay, now the conditions I have for my loaner, I have wanted a minivan since I put my first loaner into service.  I have had a very few customers decline the use of the loaner because they needed more than 5 passenger seating.  I have had customers decline the loaner car because their driveway was uphill and we are in Northern Lower Michigan where snow is a consideration, so I have wanted AWD too.  My first loaner was a Mercury Sable, replaced by an immaculately maintained Honda CRV so I at least got the AWD I wanted, even though it was not a important while I have had it as it was when I had the Sable. 

I know that anything I have will be a compromise for my customers at times.  Even if I had a car, a truck, a minivan and a full-sized van, all with AWD, chances are the specific one the customer would want would be out, so compromise it will be.  That and I am too small to float the expense of too many loaner cars.  So what I am asking is, within the following parameters, what would each of you recommend for a reliable, low cost of ownership vehicle?  What would you put into your fleet if you were working within my parameters?
      I want to spend about $10,000 No new vehicle leases NO, and I mean NO European brand/influenced models AWD would be preferable but not required Easy to understand operation of such things as lights, windows, ignition, etc.  My current CR-V has window switches on the dashboard instead of the door, the ignition has that funny turn-off, stop, push in and turn to lock and the rear hatch has to have the glass released then the door opens like a door.  All of this confuses some customers. 

My average loaner car usage is between 6,000-8500 miles a year so a higher mileage specimen would not be out of the question.  Thank you for all for your time and suggestions.
    • By HarrytheCarGeek
      Any of you have seen this deal from Mavis?
      Talk about doing the desperate thing to bring people in through the door.

https://www.mavistire.com/?kmas=1&kmca=91770970572
    • By Joe Marconi
      There’s an old Japanese proverb that says, “The footsteps of the farmer are his best fertilizer.” In translation, this means that the closer you are to your crops and animals, the easier it is to observe and respond to their needs. Business owners, just as farmers, have a sixth sense about what’s happening within their company. And, for the most part, business owners are the driving force behind the success of their companies. And it’s not always because of any particular training. Many times, the mere fact that the buck stops with you gives you the mental fortitude to push forward and find solutions to daily problems. Your gut evolves into a very valuable management and survival tool. 
      The majority of business owners created their business with a dream and the passion to make a difference in their lives and in the automotive industry. They clearly understand the sacrifices that are needed to get a new business off the ground, and also the years of dedication it takes to reach a point where the business becomes financially stable. But, running a business takes its toll on even the toughest person, and time away from business becomes equally important. So, the question becomes, can you build your business to the point where your presence still remains when you’re away? 
      Before I go on, I want you to consider something—and that’s your future. I know that many of you have a young company and plan on working for decades to come. But life goes by quickly and it can also throw you a curveball. Please take my advice with this; if you’re a business owner and you are not planning for your future, you are making a big mistake. I know too many shop owners that were forced to walk away from their businesses after decades of work with nothing more than memories. Their dreams turned into nightmares due to lack of planning. Sit down and write out what your future looks like. You will probably need help with this, but you need to think about a continuity plan and an exit strategy.
      OK, I got that out of the way; now back to the article. Here’s the bottom line. Taking time off and having your business run smoothly without you there should be one of your key goals. But the truth is, many shop owners can’t let go. They find it hard to take any time off, let alone leaving their baby in the hands of a manager or another key person. They even feel guilty when they’re away. And there are others who realize that in order to have a fulfilling life, the only way to continue the business is to step aside and stay away.   
      I don’t know what type of person you are. But what I do know with certainty after nearly 40 years in business is that, for the sake of your health and for the well-being of your family, you need to create a business that allows you the freedom to take time off.  And that starts with hiring and keeping the right people; people that share your culture and work ethic. Free time away from the business also requires that you understand your numbers, can generate a consistent profit and establish strategies to continually grow the business.  
      Achieving your goal of taking more time off is more dependent on what you create than the actual work you do. Create a culture where people come to work because they want to. Create a management style that allows you to reach out to your employees and help them achieve the things they want out of life. Create a work environment where the people you employ feel they are part of a unified vision where everyone will enjoy the fruits of their labor. Lastly, create strong relationships with all your employees from the very first day they are hired. Building this culture will help to ensure that your employees will perform the same each day, whether you are there or not.   
      I know for many it will be hard to let go. After all, your business is your baby, right? You founded it; you worked hard for years and dedicated your life to it. But, every baby grows up and becomes an adult.  And adults should become self-sufficient. If you build the right team with the right culture, you will gain the confidence that the people you employ can do an amazing job in your absence. 
      This story was originally published by Joe Marconi in Ratchet+Wrench on September 5th, 2019

View full article
    • By gary farber
      will bolt on work with ro writer
    • By CAautogroup
      Hello all,
      Our current supplier for shop supplies just announced a 25% increase on nitrile disposable gloves (Ouch), as well as a 10% increase on wiper blades and metal spin on filters. I have limited to no choice in forwarding these increases to customers. However, I am in the market of seeking other suppliers. What companies do you currently use for such stocked inventory? Any recommendations? 
      What are your thoughts in asking the techs to supply their own work gloves? Perhaps a non disposable nitrile grip?

Kind Regards,

Nick

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors