Quantcast

• You can post now and register later. Already registered? sign in now to post with your account.
    • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Once you submit your question, a new topic will be created for you in our forums. Our moderators may move your topic to a more suitable forum category if one exists. Members will see your topic and be able to respond to your question.

• This will not be shown to other users.
GenX Auto Works

What do you think? Need advice from Guru's

Ok folks I need some help. I have been reading a lot here lately but just registered today. You folks are a wealth of information and I would be extremely grateful for any help. Warning, this is a bit long-winded!

Let me give you a quick background on me, then what I am trying to do, and where I am at with the process.

I am 37 years old and have had a dream of opening a hot rod shop for about 30 years. I have wrenched on cars for most of my life off and on, building several cars over the years including a 70 mach1, 67 cougar, 85 camaro, and others. Working on cars has always been just a passion, nothing I really made money with, nor do I consider myself a true mechanic. I did ten years in the Army as infantrymen and two tours to Iraq. Since being home and out of the Army I have worked as an Army contractor where I teach soldiers how to use the computer systems they will use in combat. My education includes an understanding of accounting, business law and ton of information technology. Leadership wise I was a team leader, squad leader, platoon sergeant, and battle NCO in the Army so I think I have the leadership stuff covered. As for financing I have gathered 10 investors that are very interested in the idea. My wife and I also have loans available to us as disabled combat veterans. Long story short, it is time to reach for my dreams and make my shop happen.

As of now I am in the planning, and data collecting phase. I have a rough draft of my business plan done and I have an appointment with the local small business administration next week.

Let me tell you about the proposed business. The business will consist of three buildings in a U shape configuration on around 6 acres of land. The middle building will be for admin and inventory, the two side buildings will consist of four bays each. One side for general repairs, the other building will be a performance and detail shop. These services (performance and detail) are not currently available in the town I live in (population 40,000 and growing rapidly, not including surrounding areas). I feel the market would be huge as there are many gear-heads in the area that have to go two towns away for these services. In the front lot I will offer 3-5 cars for sale that I will market to parents who want a safe dependable first car for their teen while not spending a lot of money. I will purchase fleet cars at auction, conduct the maintenance and repairs and then resale. I plan to keep around 2 “special” cars for sale on the lots as well. These cars will be sort of a middle class hot rod. The only place to buy any hot rod is 40 miles away and for over $20k. They only carry things like 69 fastbacks and 67 camaros, you get the idea. These cars are not in very good shape and VERY expensive for what you get. I will find and repair cool cars that can be bought and repaired cheap, and then sold as a cool hot rod to those who cannot spend 20K plus on a car that sits in their garage 9 months a year but still want something fun to drive that doesn’t leave a puddle of fluids where they park. Where I am, you can find 70 novas, impalas, monte carlos, and all kinds of neat cars to fix up and sale without breaking the bank. I will need to lease a flat bed for hauling from auction, so I suppose if things get slow I can use the truck for towing as well.

Once up and running I would like to experiment with electric hot rods and gas to electric conversions.

So now for my questions….

1. Assuming business is decent, how many employees would it take to run this monster?

2. What positions should I hire?

3. Given my experience what should my role be?

4. What are a must for tools? Hand tools, power tools, lifts, and so on. How many and what? Best way to purchase in bulk?

5. I have no desire to start small, what are the pitfalls of starting this large.

6. Anyone else sale used cars AND fix them? Any advice?

These are just a few questions I have, but I don’t want to bombard you too much 

Thanks so much for your time and knowledge!

Guy,

GenX auto works

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi
      Today we commemorate D-Day, June 6, 1944. Seventy Five years ago today, more than 160,000 Allied Troops, landed on the beaches of Normandy, France, to begin the operation that would liberate Western Europe from Nazi Germany’s control. Many brave lost their lives on this day. Perhaps one of the most important events of WWII.

• By Joe Marconi
      National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, which is annually on December 7, commemorates the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii. Many American service men and women lost their lives or were injured on December 7, 1941. National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is also referred to as Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day or Pearl Harbor Day.
    • By Gonzo
      Down the Hatch
      The crazy stuff I’ve found in a gas tank.
               Never fails, boyfriend dumps girlfriend, girlfriend pours sugar in boyfriend’s gas tank. Girlfriend dumps boyfriend, time for more sugar in the boyfriend’s fuel tank. The actual “who” that does the pouring is up for grabs.  Sometimes it’s the boyfriend, sometimes it’s the girlfriend, sometimes it’s that crazy co-worker you worked with, or some wacky protester who just hates gasoline for some reason. Ya just never know, but you can be sure of one thing, somebody, somewhere, is going to pour something into somebody’s fuel tank.
               Sugar is the ‘go to’ item in most cases. Can’t find the sugar, then find a good substitute. You’re not much on improvising while you’re stressed out about the latest fling who let you down? Not to worry, as long as it’s something that will fit down the filler neck … it’s fair game. Honestly, after all the crazy stuff I’ve found stuffed down the old petrol pipe, I feel like I’m a regular expert on the subject.
              On occasion, it’s plain dirt that finds its way to the bottom of the fuel tank, but chocolate bars, rice, and flour are all common substitutes when the sugar is running low in the cupboard. The last chocolate bar incident was rather unusual, though. They didn’t bother to take the wrappers off the bars. Nice try. Effective yes, and it did get the car sent to the repair shop, but the repair was minor compared to the sticky mess that it could have been. Maybe next time go for the small bars you get around Halloween, they’ll fit down the filler neck a bit better.  Chocolate is always a favorite, especially after Valentine’s Day. You get all those bite size pieces with their gooey centers slowly oozing their way into the fuel tank. Those cherry centers ones, eww… they’re extra messy.  
               Rice on the other hand, well that’s a bit more devious than the traditional sugar stuff-o-matic method.  The rice doesn’t really swell in gasoline, it tends to harden like little concrete torpedoes.  Flour tends to float, clumps up like badly shaped dough balls, and makes an even bigger mess if it gets into the fuel pump. But, let’s not dwell on just kitchen condiments and baking supplies as the only source for self-satisfaction after a bad relationship or a bit of self-retribution and redemption.  Shampoo, liquid soap, shaving cream, and other hygiene products from the bano have made their way to the fuel tank on a few occasions, too.
               Now, there was this one diesel truck I’d like to mention with a rather gravely problem.  It still ran and drove into the shop, but the fuel gauge wasn’t working. However, when the tank wouldn’t hold as much as it used to the owner began to wonder if something was a bit more seriously wrong.  There was something wrong all right, the tank was about half full of gravel! It weighed a ton!  Dropping the tank was a lesson in dealing with a ‘live’ load and how to balance a fuel tank that couldn’t be completely drained on a precarious tranny jack.  Imagine my surprise when I finally got a chance to look inside the tank and saw this guy’s driveway soaking in diesel fuel. The owner thinks it was his grandkids helping him out.  Nice try kids. Any other truck would have had a screen in the filler neck or some sort of check ball, but not this one.
               Now with these DEF systems there’s a whole new problem to deal with. Put the wrong fluid down the wrong filler neck and you could be in for a huge repair bill. Generally these types of problems aren’t from your old girlfriend or boyfriend, but they could be. Maybe, they’re just trying to be helpful.  Then, you find out they’re color blind, and they can’t tell the difference between the green and blue labels.  Uhm, my bad. (Yea, likely story) Now, if it’s on one of those newer Dodge trucks… there’s no colored coded fuel cap anyway. To make matters worse, the urea mix is acidic and isn’t all that friendly to the paint. How wonderful is that!?
               Sticks, plastic straws, wire, and the occasional siphon hose have all been a source of amusement at the repair shop when it comes to what you can find at the bottom of a fuel tank.  You’d think that little baffle and the check ball would stop most of these intrusions.  Actually, I think they just create a new spot for things to get stuck and plug up the entire works.  Occasionally these types of fuel tanks end up at the shop anyway, regardless of some foreign object being inserted in the filler neck, or not. They have a tendency of leaving their owners standing at the pump holding the fuel nozzle on the first click, because if they tried any faster the pump would just shut off.
               You’d think in this advanced electronic age, somebody would invent an anti-ex-boyfriend/girlfriend fuel tank early warning system because the locked gas cap just ain’t doing the trick.  Oh it will stop a few, but the true sabotage master will find a way to pry that door open or rip it off the hinges. Locking gas caps are only there to urge on the saboteur. Nothing will stop them when revenge is at the helm; they’ll do whatever it takes to get the dastardly dead done.
      If nothing else, how about a sugar detector checker. Something that would verify the quality of the fuel before you take off for work in the morning.  Or how about some sort of electronic system that would sense any foreign material slipped into the fuel tank, and send whatever it is into a separate holding tank.  Then when you get home you could unload the unwanted intruder, identify it, maybe even determine who the culprit is, and take care of business without a trip to the repair shop. Wishful thinking I’m sure.
               Well, there is one alternative to all of this.  If you’re in a relationship with a seemingly psychotic person, you have a grumpy neighbor who’s been eyeballing the fuel door on your car, or you’re the type of person who generally pisses people off for no apparent reason and you live extremely close to a sugar factory … well then…by all means… do yourself a favor… buy an electric car instead.  

View full article
    • By Hands On
      Had a Chevrolet Cobalt show up at my shop today. The kid called for a quick no start diagnostic. He thought it might be a camshaft position sensor.  I sent my tech out to look at it and he comes back in to ask if I am joking. The Fuel injector rail is out and resting on the valve cover. The super charger is removed two of the intake manifold bolts are missing, one is spaced out with random washers. The kid mentioned none of this dropping it off. He will not answer his phone or texts.
    • By Joe Marconi
      National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, also referred to as Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day or Pearl Harbor Day, is observed annually in the United States on December 7, to remember and honor the 2,403 citizens of the United States who were killed in the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on December 7, 1941. 
      Let us never forget!

• AutoShopOwner Sponsors