Quantcast

Job Expectations: Boomers vs Millennials [RR 676]

Sara Fraser is a millennial who has a love for life, travel, and connecting with other humans! She has over 15 years of retail management experience, the last 6 of them as an office manager for a used car sales and service center. To bring her customer service, marketing, and business knowledge to the automotive industry she has recently joined the team at Haas Performance Consulting. Sara loves helping others grow and succeed and is excited to share her expertise on management and social media, her views on how and why the younger generations think and act, and how to work and manage a business within a multi-generational workforce. When she isn’t working Sara spends her time traveling, attending theatrical productions, music festivals, concerts, advocating for human and animal rights, celebrating life in general and connecting with other people from all over the world. Look for Sara’s previous episodes HERE. Bill Haas, AAM, is the owner of Haas performance consulting LLC, with 40 years of experience in the automotive service and repair industry. Clients have access to Bill’s solution-based focus, expertise, unique perspectives and in-depth knowledge of the industry. Bill began his career working part-time at a full-service gasoline station in Appleton, Wisconsin. His career includes time as a technician, shop owner, technical trainer and on the staff of the automotive industry’s oldest and largest association representing automotive service and collision repair businesses. While at the association Bill had the opportunity to work with all segments of the industry. His knowledge of the industry has been shared on many occasions as he has been invited to speak at numerous industry events as well as providing testimony at hearings of the US Congress and several state legislatures on important legislation and regulation affecting the automotive industry. Bill received the Accredited Automotive Manager (AAM) credential from the automotive management institute in 1996 and has been a member of the automotive management institute’s faculty since 2002. Bill is also the business manager for NACAT, the North American Council of Automotive Teachers. His services include business management seminar development and delivery, keynote presentations, business consulting, performance coaching, and strategic planning facilitation. Listen to Bill’s previous episodes HERE. Key Talking Points Boomer’s Perspective

• Show up, shut up, get to work
  • Hard work means long hours
  • Why is this taking you so long?
  • Move out of the way, I will do it myself
  • I will let you know when you do anything wrong
  • The best employee will be just like me.

Millennial Perspective:

• I want to tell you about my weekend or night and hear about yours
  • Don’t do my job for me, it tells me you don’t think I know what I am doing or am incapable
  • I want to know what the business contributes to and donates to and supports in the community- does it have eco-friendly practices in place
  • I want to be paid enough and fairly
  • I want to be treated fairly regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation etc.
  • I want a strong leader, to guide but not do the work for me
  • I want a comfortable and safe working environment
  • I don’t need a ton of supervision but like to be occasionally checked in on
  • I want flexible hours, and want to make enough money without working overtime
  • I want my voice, opinions, suggestions, to be heard and at least considered
  • I want to be part of the team- working together and building each other up, no competition amongst the employees

Boomers and Millennials Together

• Don’t judge what each other what they’re doing, judge what they’ve done/produced- are they meeting deadlines? Getting work done? Meeting expectations?
  • Millennials want constant feedback and review, let them know when they do well and poorly- boomers never had constant reassurance and might not know how to give that feedback and how important it is. There are many things to be thankful for, make sure you voice it. 
  • Seeing someone struggling- boomers take over instead of teaching the employee and using it as a learning experience. Delegate jobs and tasks.
  • Happy and healthy business culture is more important than an increased dollar amount somewhere else. Giving unhappy employees more money is a short-term fix that wears off.
  • “Hard work is long hours” for boomers, work hours to millennials can be condensed down.
  •  “Nothing is more important to me than my job” Boomers vs “There are things more important than my job.” Millennials 
  • Boomers will complain about an employee’s shortcomings to everyone except the employee which will bring down the business culture. Millennials want to have conversations about issues and the leader should initiate teaching moments. Is the employee the problem or is the owner not setting clear expectations and training properly? 
  • Thanks to Sara Fraser and Bill Haas for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
  • Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
  • Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
  • Find every podcast episode HERE.
  • Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
  • Key Word Search HERE.

Be socially involved and in touch with the show: Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy me a coffee This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever. Shop-Ware-Call-To-Action-Graphic-v3.png This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm ARN-Logo-Wide-Blue-600px-300x84.png

Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By danilredko
      Hello everyone, 

I have an idea of a software that can be used to charge a customer a monthly fee. 

For example, you could have different tiers: 

Maintenance Lite - 15$ a month: low monthly payment for all of the conventional oil changes required by the average driver each year.

Maintenance Basic - 20$ a month: Maintenance Basic includes everything you'll find in Lite, but adds... Unlimited Synthetic Oil Changes (as needed), On Rim (Seasonal) Tire Rotations (as needed), Complimentary Re-Torquing after changeover.

Maintenance Plus - 40$ a month:  includes all services from Ultimate Maintenance Basic, plus the following...
      - Off Rim Seasonal Tire Rotations (as needed)
      - Seasonal Tire Storage
      - Flat-Tire Repair (excluding roadside assistance)
      - Up to four General Service Calls (diagnoses, bulb replacements, filters, etc...)
      - Battery Boost/Replacement (excluding roadside assistance)
      - Priority Scheduling Service (For seasonal tire changeover)

What do you think about it? 

Thank you! 
    • By ASOG Podcast
      ASOG Podcast LIVE from ASTE 2021 - Automotive Management Institute
    • By carmcapriotto
      Ethan Smith, Service Advisor, Casey Automotive, Chantilly and Sterling, VA
      Chad Jacks, Service Advisor, Dale's Service Center, Davenport, IA
      Rena Rennebohm, CEO and Creator of Empowered Advisor. With over 20 years of experience in the automotive industry, Rena has always had a passion for helping people. As a Service Advisor, she found every way possible to improve and utilize her skills. Implementing new techniques with basic fundamentals gave Rena the ability to become one of the most sought after Trainers and Coaches in our field. Dedicating her time training Service Advisors with one-on-one calls, webinars, and classes is what she lives for. With high energy and understanding, rapid and continued improvement has been shown across the board from her clients.
      Listen to Rena’s previous episodes HERE.
      Key Talking Points
      Role Play 1: Need a Transmission
      Ethan: Customer- Wants price, the vehicle doesn't drive well, doesn’t feel confident from phone conversation Chad: Service Advisor- Distracted, asked to repeat the question, unenthusiastic, gives price for just transmission and when appt is, “maybe 6K” Rena: Coach- 3 steps price shopper- get to know the customer, what are symptoms of car, offer inspection. Giving only price gives customers something to compare. Redo
      Ethan: Customer- He did research online and thinks its a transmission Chad: Service Advisor- Greets customer with his name, asks his name and phone number, asks about the vehicle, asks if the vehicle has ever been to the shop, explains what they would do to the vehicle once it is brought in, testing price, explains shop amenities and warranties, asks about an appointment, offers rental ride/shuttle Rena: Coach- Vehicle is vetted, it has been maintained, converting good customer to shop Role Play 2: Check engine light is on
      Chad: Customer- Asks about price, looked online at pricing for parts Ethan: Service Advisor- Asks what car, if codes have been pulled, hasn't asked name, throwing different parts names out, $150-170 for repair Rena: Coach- Customer is probably frustrated, was told no, hasn’t received help, become a little grumpy, vehicle coming into the shop is the priority before giving price, every phone call is opportunity Redo
      Chad: Customer- Will the car be ready that day? The car pulls to the left when driving, asks about drop off/night pick up Ethan: Service Advisor- Asks for customer’s name/phone number, “sorry this is happening,” “so happy you called,” asks if the car has been to shop, thanks the customer for giving him the opportunity, asks if the car has been worked on, what is make/model, explains difficulties with check engine light, mentions certified technician, asks what time/day would work, test drive with the customer Rena: Coach- Express empathy, don’t use acronyms, have great tone Role Play 3: Tune-up
      Ethan: Customer- Asks what parts will the shop be using? What different services? Chad: Service Advisor- Unenthusiastic, gives price, “stuff to dump in the tank,” didn't ask for name, “I can check it if you want” Rena: Coach- Secret shop local businesses, more common than not, you can’t flip a switch to be professional, you need business culture, training, mentoring Redo
      Ethan: Customer- Asks what a tune-up entails, asks costs Chad: Service Advisor- Gives name, asks name and phone number, asks how he found the shop, shows interest in-vehicle, explains details of service, build estimate, explains warranty, offers loaner car Rena: Coach- “My customer’s love it” go with the customer without arguing, ask about symptoms, don’t tell customers they don’t need something  
      Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Check out today's partners:

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com

Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
      Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day. Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click. When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review. Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop.  Visit www.getbroadly.com/chat to learn more.
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Years back, customers brought their cars in to us 3 to 4 times a year for an oil change. About every 3 to 4,000 miles. That simple service gave us the perfect opportunity to inspect their car and sell needed services and repairs. It also sustained healthy car counts. Today, we see more and more customers ignoring the shop's windshield lube sticker, and willing to wait for that "Oil Maintenance" light to come on. Many times that could be over 10,000 miles on a Honda civic! This, plus the fact that car makers have been preaching to consumers that their cars need little to no maintenance, is a major contributing factor in lower car counts.  
      If shops are not taking a proactive approach and adopt a culture of total car care, shops will find it very difficult to stay profitable in the coming years. It's crucial today to educate your customers, promote preventive maintenance, perform detailed multipoint inspections on every car, and make sure you get paid what you are worth. 
      What tips to you have to be more proactive and maintain healthy car counts and a healthy business? 
    • By ASOG Podcast
      ASOG Podcast LIVE - Ratchet & Wrench Management Conference 2021

• Our Sponsors