Quantcast

Typically, from all the research and testing I've been involved with (with private clients, etc.) it's between $75 - $150 dollars - and that depends on how you try to do it. 

Think about it this way. A popular thing shop owners try is to send out postcards. (Probably the worse way to get new customers). 

Send 1,000 post cards. If you're buying right, that's a $500 investment. Right? Maybe even more

Using the $500 cost - and you get 5 customers (which is about 1/2 of 1 percent - about average) each one cost you $100. 

Then there's the dumb moves where third party marketing companies convince you to send out 5,000 postcards to every house around your shop. Makes sense, right? Well you would think it does. But the fact is, those people don't know you and you're already trying to sell them something. What do YOU do when you get those kind of postcards in YOUR mail? Let me guess... you rush out to buy whatever they're selling, right? I don't think so. 

The trick to marketing is working with your list - your customers. They know, trust and like you. Then put a customer referral program in place. Get them to send you their friends and co-workers. And no, a customer referral program isn't some lame offer of "I'll give you 10% off your next service if you send me a referral". Doesn't work - won't work - ever, ever!

You've got to have a program. I have a client that regularly adds 20-30 new customers every month. Yes, every month. (He giggles when we talk about it) 

There's more to a customer referral program than some lame offer that never works, but it's a little more than you'll probably want to read here.

Hope this helps!

Matthew Lee
"The Car Count Fixer"

Get "The Official Guide to Auto Service Marketing"

Got an hour? Join me on this Training Webinar and Fix Your Car Count

The Shop Owner's Unfair Advantage FREE Access

6 hours ago, JustTheBest said:

You've got to have a program. I have a client that regularly adds 20-30 new customers every month. Yes, every month.

Very good info Matthew. New customers every month is very attainable , and in very good numbers.

As the car count is a big part of business (you have to get customers in the shop and on the rack)  there are many things that go with that to keep them coming and interested in coming back. 

Yes you got to have not just a program, but one in place that follows through from car count, services writers to parts and labor, to techs and customer service all come together to make a profitable (Team) shop.

Shop owners this can be done very effectively . Contact me and I would be glad to discuss options for success. 

This year we are averaging adding 35 new customers a month. Not bad but when we opened our new shop 10 years ago we were averaging 70 a month. Prior to opening the new shop we were averaging 50 per month. After a few years in the new shop it dropped back to 50 a month and when we went from 2 to 3 techs it's drop down to 35 -40 where it is now.

If it is costing you more than around 17.50 to get a NEW customer in your shop and ...they will visit you twice if you find nothing that there car needs at the time of the first visit. They will come back in for a second time that's two times you get to show what your shop has to offer and build trust, make sales, and gain a long term customer. I would be glad to speak to you on how this works  

1 hour ago, Stevens Automotive Service said:

If it is costing you more than around 17.50 to get a NEW customer in your shop and ...they will visit you twice if you find nothing that there car needs at the time of the first visit. They will come back in for a second time that's two times you get to show what your shop has to offer and build trust, make sales, and gain a long term customer. I would be glad to speak to you on how this works  

You seem to be offering your services as a coach of some sort. If so, may I suggest that you clean up your spelling and grammar. Doing so might help you establish credibility.