Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
Gonzo

Article: Hoarders - - Sometimes the junk in the trunk spills out into the entire car

Hoarders

tp.gif    Watching television these days you’ll find a lot of so called reality shows 
on the air waves.  I sat thru one of these hoarding shows, and quite frankly 
I wasn’t surprised at all.  I’ve seen this same thing in cars, trucks, and vans.  
Junk, trash, and just about anything you could think of piled up inside the 
car and/or in the bed of the truck. The one thing that seems to be common 
with every one of them is the mess.  It’s not so much the piles of crap that 
they keep in their vehicles, but how they keep their stuff.  It’s always a 
disorganized mess with no rhyme or reason of organization.  

tp.gif    I can’t work like that myself. Now, I’m not all that neat with my tool box.  But it’s at least it’s an organized chaos.  Sockets and extensions of the same ratchet size in one area, cutting tools in another, screw drivers and pliers all have their own place.  I actually use several tool boxes to store my 30+ years of variety of tools.   Even with the tool boxes, I still have to have other tools that come in their own protective plastic molded boxes on shelves neatly labeled as to what is in each box, in order to retrieve them when needed.  Older, out of date tools seem to always end up in lower and lower drawers.  I can’t even tell you where my dwell meters are these days… haven’t seen them in years.  

tp.gif    Now I see the same trend in old scanners.  The pile is getting larger and larger.  I still have an old MatCo 4000E and a few other ones on one of the lower shelves.  I don’t think I’ve turned them on in years, but all the cards and cords are there.  It’s almost funny, (in a weird way) that each time you update a scanner, the new scanner generally will do all the older systems.  So instead of pulling out your old scanner I’ll reach for the new one every time.  So what happens to that old scanner? It will end up with that old dwell meter somewhere out of sight and forgotten.  

tp.gif    These days I find myself “hoarding” some of these new tools, and wait for a chance to use some of them.  Now, I’ve got a collection of so called “new” tools that I haven’t found much use for yet.  Special headlamp assembly removal tools, belt tools, shocks wrenches, front end disassembly tools, suspension tools, and so much more.  Most of which I may only see use for only once in a great while.  For example, I’ve done several of the water pumps on the “North Star” engines, and with the right tool it’s an easy job.  I wouldn’t even begin to think of doing it without it.  The tool wasn’t cheap, but I’m sure at some point in time it too will end up in the bottom of the box.  

tp.gif    I don’t think of myself as a tool hoarder, or a collector… I just want the right tool for the right job.  As a tech the expense of these tools can be costly, keeping them clean and well kept helps me maintain them for a long time.  Without the right tool, the job isn’t as easy as it could be. So anytime I can get the correct tool I will. 

Then there are those homemade tools that I have a tougher time sending to the deep dark pockets of the lower drawers.  At the time I needed that certain cut down tool or a socket I ground an edge off of… they made sense.  Looking in the drawer at some of these old handmade marvels I have to wonder… why I did do “that” to this tool? Obviously, I’ve forgotten what it was for… so it now becomes the next tool that will get “re-made” into the next handmade tool.  These tools I’ll “hoard” for a long time, just can’t part with them so easily. 

tp.gif     I’ve also seen guys who have huge boxes of tools that have every single socket and screw driver so perfectly placed in their tool boxes that they resemble museum pieces.  I’ve even seen a guy who had a huge, and I mean huge, selection of hammers… of various sizes and lengths.  All these hammers were lined up on overhead racks equally spaced apart, and put into a pattern from small to large, and by handle length.  A thing of beauty to a tool guy like myself.  Not that practical in my point of view though. I mean, really, how many hammers do ya need?  A hoarder? No not really.   I think it actually falls under the category of collector.  Collectors take pride in what they have, and are proud to display them in an orderly fashion.  

tp.gif    One thing that goes along with those hoarders’ cars and trucks is the stench…  OMG… always, always, always it smells like something died in there.  I’ll bet doctors could tell some horror stories dealing with people and their hygiene, and I’m sure I’m not the only tech who has dealt with the smelly car from hell.   Nasty, is the only way to say it… putrid, awful, and disgusting.  YUK!  

tp.gif    Well, then again, it’s work… not pleasant work, but it is work.  I think the worst one that I can remember getting into was a Chevy van with a heater core leak.  The van was stacked level with the windows front to back with the most horrendous conglomeration of junk I’ve ever had to deal with. There was only enough room for the driver and barely any room to move the gear shift lever.  Totally disgusting, and even more to the point that smell, that awful unforgettable smell!  Papers, fast food bags, clothes, shoes, and anything else you can think of.  

I always try to put things back in order that I take things out of a glove box or trunk, but, there was no way to “re-stack” everything back in on this “hoarder-mobile”… it was an intertwined hap-hazard pile of putrid junk.  All I could do was grab handfuls of this stuff and throw it on the shop floor.  In fact, I gave the lady the estimate based on book time… then I crossed out the book time, and told her that the book time doesn’t apply due to the conditions I’m working in. She still said go for it… so I did.  With an aspirator, plastic gloves and a long sleeve jacket that I planned to throw out as soon as I was done.  I “dove” right into my work on this reeking pile of refuse, and finished it as quickly as I could.  You know, I really should have done this job outside, because the stench lingered in the shop for weeks.    

tp.gif    These people have a serious mental problem, but most of them don’t see it as a problem.  I’m no doctor, so I probably shouldn’t make diagnostic claims on things I know nothing about, I’m just a mechanic. I’ll try to deal with junk and the smell, get the job done, and move on to the next one.  (Hopefully a more pleasant one).  

tp.gif    When you finish with one of these jobs, don’t forget to wipe your tools down before you neatly place them back into your tool box.  Messy tools and a messy shop aren’t very presentable, but for some customers it’s not a concern of theirs how their vehicle looks or smells, they just want the car fixed. 

Even though I’ll fix the car, the smell and the sight of these trash cans on 4 wheels sure does get to me. Yuk!   

View full article

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Article: Real or Reality - Some of these reality TV automotive shows just don't cut it in the real reality of car repair

Real or Reality TV      Have ya noticed all the reality programs on TV these days?   There’s a reality show for every subject you can think of... and  probably a few you never would have thought of.    From high society in the big city to the suburbs, and even some  from way … way back in the woods.  They can be quite  entertaining, funny, and sometimes pretty strange.           Now, I’m not much on which rich neighbor is doing what with  which rich neighbor or who makes the best moonshine, but what  I do know is a few things about the automotive repair world.  I've been  to check a few of those shows out.  Although, from my side of  the wrench, as a professional mechanic, I take a completely  different view of them. In my opinion, some of these reality  shows are far from 'real' reality, and I’ve certainly watched a few  that I didn’t even make it past the first commercial break before I flipped  the channel to something else.            It’s not so much the cars; it’s how they go about restoring them that gets to me.  They’ll start off with somebody flashing a wad of cash, and then they buy some old relic, tow it to their garage and present it to the crew.  The crew will have this shocked look as to what was just dropped off or they’ll have their own ideas about how nuts their boss is for even thinking about taking on this relic as a project.  That's about the time the boss gives them the lowdown on what his/her vision is of the latest acquisition. Which, usually consists of a full tear down and rebuild, but they only have a few weeks to do it all in.  By the end of the show there's a gleaming fully restored work of art that (for the sake of reality TV)  there is already a buyer or two ready to shell out some ridiculous amount of money for it.             But the shows that really irk me are the ones that use the “all-nighter” approach to car repair.  They’ll completely dismantle a car down to the last nut and bolt and in the length of one long commercial break they'll have all the mechanical, electrical, vacuum systems, interior, instrument panel, brakes, transmission, rear-end, engine, cooling system, heating systems, glass, and a full paint and body mod completed in less than 72 hours. (I can't find a lot of those parts in less than 72 hours) And, the best part, (or biggest guffaw on these shows) is during the final reveal. They drag the new or previous owner into a warehouse and surprise them with their refurbished car.  Off to the side, just out of the primary camera view, is the entire crew that has spent the last three days with no sleep looking as fresh as a daisy.  I'm in awe of the crew to say the least, not one of them is covered in grease, has half of their shirt untucked, no fresh cuts or scraps, not a single bandaid in view, and not one of them showing any effects from sleep deprivation.  Simply amazing… gotta love it... must be some of that TV magic.        I’ve done my share of all night marathon repairs before and quite frankly, by the time the sun comes up I’m not the most coherent guy with a lug wrench in his hand.   Hey, they call it “Reality TV” but, as this arm chair quarterback sees it……. it doesn’t seem all that realistic to me.  I’m sure the entire staff are some of the finest mechanics, bodyman, electrical gurus of the automotive world, but I highly doubt you can turn out a truly professionally restored vehicle in that short amount of time.  There has to be a huge number of short cuts that are taken to meet the TV deadlines.        On the other hand, there are a lot of great automotive reality programs on the television that go to great lengths to show how a modification is installed and go through the process of explaining those mods to the “nth” degree.  Any show that portrays the reality of doing the job I do every day in a professional manner I'll sit down and watch it from beginning to end.  You want to show me how you install some super cool new rear tail light lenses or wild looking front grill... awesome!!!  Or, pulling an engine out of a classic and doing the necessary rebuild on it... super!!!  Love that stuff.  But, when you try to convince me that you're going to take some car that has been sitting for ten years in the back of some family garage totally neglected and raise it from the dead overnight... ya lost me.         Come on, I do resto's all the time and the biggest hassle with any of them is and always been the parts availability.   A job comes in the shop, y put it up on the lift and spin the drive shaft only to find out the differential or bearings are shot.  It’s not like you're going to run down to the local parts store and pick up a set of bearings for a thirty year old low production car just like that.  But, somehow, someway, some of these shows pull it off... (That's TV for ya.) Aside from all the mechanical woes, ya have to consider what the original reason was for the car to be parked for so long in the first place.   Nine chances out of ten it's because something was worn out and the replacement part was hard to find, or really expensive to repair.  Not every car in the back of the garage is there because someone was collecting it or saving it for a reality show to come by and restore it.        In some ways it gives the novice car enthusiast the wrong impression of what it takes to restore a car.  Lately I've been doing a lot more restoration projects than I've done in the past and I do believe it's a result of all these reality shows being aired.  For that, I thank you.  But, at the same time... shame on you!  I can't live up to the overnight expectations that seem so possible on the big screen. Even though the customer doesn't mention they have been watching a reality show, you know... they're thinking … “This shouldn’t take that long. It didn't take that long for that guy on TV.”  The idea that you're going to resurrect a dilapidated hunk of iron into a show stopper in a short span of time just ain't real reality.         And, let's not forget the real big issue.... cost.  Now there's some reality for ya!  When the customer starts to see the costs, WOW!!! Then the reality of doing a restoration project starts to set in. Makes ya wonder if putting that old rust bucket back in the corner of the garage might be a far better idea than fixing it up.  I'm certainly grateful for the few shows that have that “sit-down-with-the-customer” session explaining the cost of the restoration.  It does add to the realism and makes it more believable.            I’ve got a big “Thank You” to the guys and gals on these shows that portray the automotive world in its true form.  It's a pleasure for me as a professional mechanic to see the artistry and talent of another professional on screen.  Watching them dealing with a stuck bolt, rusty bodywork, or dodging the fumes from the soldering gun is all part of the real reality.  But, I do have to give credit to all the other shows too, they are entertaining, and in some small way add to the resurgence in restorations projects across the country…. The only thing I ask is… keep it real.   
      View full article

By Gonzo, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 2 replies
    • Are we seeing the “Home Depot” effect in the Auto Parts Industry?

It's no secret that Home Depot changed the Hardware Store business. Are we seeing the same thing occur with the auto parts industry? Will Wall Street dictate the future of the parts business? Main Street, not Wall Street once dominated our business landscape.   Part stores were part of the community. Did they cater to the DIY? Of course they did. But the DIYer was someone who could actually work on his car, not the weekend warrior who has no business sticking his head under the hood. And why does he attempt to stick his head under the hood? Because companies like Advance and Auto Zone tells them they belong there. Don't know how to install your alternator, no problem, click on this video and we will show you Mr. DIY.   There is no stopping big business and what mass consolidation will do to our industry. But, guys like me don't have to like it. The truth is Home Depot may have shifted their industry, but it also made a select group of business owners only stronger. The same may happen in the parts business.   Big Parts Guys, if you truly want OUR business, you need to stop catering to the DIY market and insulting us by telling us the DIYer is not our customer. The motoring public hears your commercials, they see you ads, they get your discount flyers in the mail. So, stop the insults. I would have more respect if you just come clean.   My guess, nothing will happen. The big guys won't change when money gets in the way. When home town and Wall Street collide, Wall Street usually wins. Usually, but not always.

By Joe Marconi, in Joe’s Business Tips For Shop Owners

• 8 replies
    • New research from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau shows just how easy it is for cash-strapped borrowers to get sucked into a vehicle title lo

New research from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau shows just how easy it is for cash-strapped borrowers to get sucked into a vehicle title loan debt trap.   http://finance.yahoo.com/news/payday-auto-title-loans-CFPB-211701904.html      

By HarrytheCarGeek, in General Automotive Discussion

• 1 reply
    • Trade shows / conferences

What trade shows or conferences do you attend if any? ASO is a great way to interact with other shop owners but nothing beats a handshake and a conversation. The opportunity to meet vendors, tool manufacturers ect is great.   There is a thread on Automechanika http://www.autoshopowner.com/topic/9664-automechanika-show-in-chicago-april-2015/ Is it worth the trip to Chicago?   There is also SEMA and AAPEX in Vegas, I've never been to either. What about smaller regional shows, specifically in the Northeast?    

By Junior, in General Automotive Discussion

• 4 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors