Quantcast

This is something that I'm hearing from shop owners constantly when we're talking about car count levels in their auto repair shop:

"Car count is down in my shop because cars are made better."

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times, and chances are you've probably said it yourself. Look, I'm not going to tell you cars aren't made better because that would be sheer stupidity.

The fact is that cars are made better. Cars are made to last much, much longer than they used to.

But... That's not the reason why car count is down in shops.

How do I know that? Well, a recent study came out that said the average car on American roadways is over 14 years old.

Let me say that again... The average car is over 14 years old. That's not a new car. The average. That means for every brand new car out there, in order to have an average of fourteen years, that means there's a car that's 28 years old. There is a balance there.

If the average car is 14 years old, those are the cars you work on. Right? 14 years ago the cars weren't made as good as they are now, and even if they were, they're 14 years old right now, odds are that they're going to need a lot of maintenance now or in the near future. It's important to make your shop available for those repairs.

Don't get caught up in the thinking that the car count is down simply because cars are made better. Those cars that are made better are not your business. Those aren't the ones that are going to give you more cars in your bays and increase your profitability. The most of a shop owner's profits is going to come from the cars that are older, and the average car is much older than it used to be.

Clear the "cars are just made better" excuse out from your mind, understand that there are plenty cars out there, it's just up to you to go focus on your marketing and attract more customers to your shop.

-- Ron Ipach (a.k.a Captain Car Count)

• President/Founder of Repair Shop Coach
  • More articles and content like this and originated through Ron Ipach's Car Count Daily campaign
  • Auto Repair Shop Owners, Managers, and Automotive Industry Professionals are invited to join 'Car Count Daily Boosters' LinkedIn group to provide resources and gain insight on boosting car count DAILY and filling up the bays in their shops.

•  

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Key Talking Points
      Joe’s Garage- a real-world shop setup with eight service bays, provides a platform for exhibiting brands to demo their equipment. Includes Shop management software, Customer relationship management, Digital inspection software, Website designers, Digital signage and menu boards, Integrated and text-to-pay solutions Rick White, 180 Biz "Service Advisors - The Key to Business Success"  Tuesday, November 2nd from 2 PM - 4:30 PM Eric Ziegler, EZ Diagnostic Solutions/EZ Tech Mentors & EZ Diagnostic Solutions. Working with Automotive Seminars and the Driveability Guys. Classes: Wednesday Scan Data Analysis 9:30- 12:00, Network Diag  2:30- 4:00 PM, Thurs VVT Fundamentals  9:30 – 12:00 and Misfire class from 2:30 - 4:00 PM. Bill Haas, Haas Performance Consulting, Advanced Financial Strategies for Peace of Mind, on Thursday 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM  Rich Cregar, Automotive Training Authority (ATA), Selling and Servicing Hybrid and Battery Electric Vehicles AAPEXSHOW.COM Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Joe Marconi
      Years back, customers brought their cars in to us 3 to 4 times a year for an oil change. About every 3 to 4,000 miles. That simple service gave us the perfect opportunity to inspect their car and sell needed services and repairs. It also sustained healthy car counts. Today, we see more and more customers ignoring the shop's windshield lube sticker, and willing to wait for that "Oil Maintenance" light to come on. Many times that could be over 10,000 miles on a Honda civic! This, plus the fact that car makers have been preaching to consumers that their cars need little to no maintenance, is a major contributing factor in lower car counts.  
      If shops are not taking a proactive approach and adopt a culture of total car care, shops will find it very difficult to stay profitable in the coming years. It's crucial today to educate your customers, promote preventive maintenance, perform detailed multipoint inspections on every car, and make sure you get paid what you are worth. 
      What tips to you have to be more proactive and maintain healthy car counts and a healthy business? 
    • By carmcapriotto
      Scott Wheeler, President of Automotive Consultants Group, Inc. (ACGI) is a shop management expert in the transportation industry, with over forty years’ experience in the automotive, trucking, heavy-equipment, marine, motor sports, and defense aerospace industries. He holds numerous ASE credentials, including two Master’s Certifications, and has experience working in every position from Tech, Fixed Operations Director, and Mechanical Engineer. Scott has authored five books for the automotive industry and continues to write, consult, and speak professionally at major industry events throughout the U.S. and Canada. He has been a regular featured consultant/contributor to Ratchet+Wrench Magazine, Auto Inc., and Canadian Tire magazine with articles relating to topics such as technician compensation programs, understanding production capacity, and how to maintain passion for your automotive repair business, among others. ACGI continues to consult and mentor clients throughout North America.
      Listen to Scott's previous episodes HERE
      Key Talking Points
      “How to Make Money (& Stay Sane) in the Automotive Service Industry”- Chronicles “Bob” a fictitious character. Effective labor rate, marketing and advertising in 21st century. Charts and graphs included. Policies, procedures, job descriptions.  What are your goals? Why are you in the industry? “What’s in it for me?” Are you willing to listen? Try new things? Change?  Change triangle- the center is change, outside points are commitment, plan and action.  “Why when how to” with financials  “All business is, is a math problem”- understanding the numbers, understanding benchmark (labor gross profit margin, parts margin etc)  Ego factor- what is your break-even point is? Do you rate how well your month went by how much money is in your checking account?  Holding someone accountable- clear set goals and expectations CPA using Quickbooks- Quickbooks isn’t geared towards automotive Make sure you set your shop management software to your set gross profit matrix for parts and labor Production incentive for technicians and service advisors- it should be easy to calculate. Is it based on working 40 hours or meeting/beating time guide? Consider individual compensation plans. Find one that motivates your employees.  Raising effective labor rate Automotiveconsultantsgroup.com Connect with the show:
      Subscribe on YouTube
      Visit us on the Web
      Follow on Facebook
      Become an Insider
      Buy me a coffee
      Important Books
      Check out today's partners:
      This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve.  The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.

This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm

Aftermarket Radio Network
    • By carmcapriotto
      Advancing the Aftermarket. Of late there has been a lot of dialogue around my circles about being paid for the value you give and bring to your customer. I recently saw a survey of shops whose sales averaged $750,000 yet their net operating profit was only 2%. That is only a $15,000 average net operating income before tax. This troubling stat begs the question: How do you continue to invest in the business and even provide a living wage for you and your team at that level of profit? 98.9% of shop owners that I asked about raising their labor rate told me that they were the one who was most affected by the change. (their hesitancy and the pressure is all unjust)
      Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE Find every podcast episode HERE. Every episode is segmented by Series HERE. Key Word Search HERE. Be socially involved and in touch with the show: Facebook   Twitter   Linked In   Email Join the Ecosystem – Subscribe to the INSIDER NEWSLETTER HERE. Buy me a coffee  
    • By Joe Marconi
      There is a lot of talk these days about the Electric Cars, and no doubt they will become more and more accepted during the next few years.
      All car makers are investing big bucks into EV's and battery technology.  While we are a ways away from EVs becoming mainstream, what are your plans to prepare for this? How do think the EV will change our business model? 
      Thoughts? 
      /

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Joe Marconi
      I was asked recently if it's possible to be a true absentee owner. Here are my thoughts.  First, it really depends on the staff, your position in your business and how the business is structured. There are shops that are run totally by a manager and the owner is not involved in the day to day. There are shop owners with multiple locations. There is no way to be at all locations at the same time. 
      Build the business by having a strong team. Find leaders in your business.  Give others control and allow others to grow.  You, the owner, do not have to be in on every single situation, and you should take time away from the business. 
      But remember, you are the owner and the primary leader. You set the tone. 
      Those are my thoughts...yours? 

• By Joe Marconi
      Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a big proponent of understanding your numbers, and the need for bottom line profit.  However, we can sometimes get side-tracked by focusing too much on the numbers and not enough on people. 
      I have seen time and time again with struggling shops that have their numbers dialed in properly but can't achieve their goals, and the reason all too often is their culture.
      Focus on people. Find out what's important to them. Your employees have dreams and goals. Find out what they are. Align their goals with company goals. 
      When an employee sees that by achieving company goals, they can achieve their own goals, then you have the right culture and a powerful team. 
    • By Joe Marconi
      First, I would be the last person to tell anyone that car counts is not a measurable and important KPI.  Every shop needs to know their needed car count and what their sweet spot is. And then use that KPI to understand other important KPI's - ARO, Labor margin, part margins, etc.
      Now, with that said, the industry in general, has and will see, a decline in the amount of times your customers will visit your shop. It was not that long ago when we had customers bring their cars in 4 to 5 times per year. That has changed.  Plus with COVID and many people not using their cars as they used to, we cannot rely on trying increasing car counts. We should, rather, making sure that we make every vehicle visit...COUNT.  
      Here is my strategy to drive up sales per visit, while promoting the right culture with your customers: 
      Ensure that the customer experience is the best on the planet! - Give every customer a reason to return back to you. Perform a complete MPI on each vehicle, but find out the particular needs of customers. What is their car used for?  Get your entire staff to understand that the customer is everything and their safety and their car care needs are most important.  Promote your Culture of taking care of people, not sales - Believe me, sales will come and so will the profits.  Promote vehicle maintenance, safety, and reducing the overall cost of owning their car.  NOW HERE'S THE TOUGH ONE:  PLEASE BOOK THE NEXT APPOINTMENT AT CAR DELIVERY!  Doctors do it, dentists do it, boiler service companies do it, hair dressers do it, nail salons do it, ..even chimney cleaning companies do it! It's not hard, just do it.  Hope this helps. Thoughts???

• By Joe Marconi
      Today is the first day of summer, and we are still dealing with the dreaded COVID-19.  However, there are positive indicators that business will be better than expected this summer.  People will be taking more road trips, will avoid airplanes, trains and Ubers and will take to the roads in record numbers.
      Gear up for a great summer and look for opportunity with each vehicle visit.  Perform those multipoints as if your business depends on it….why?....Because it does!
      We have a lot to be thankful for. Keep positive, be a leader and thrive!

• By JustTheBest
      Here's 14 Secrets that virtually guarantee car count - in ANY Economy!

Hope this helps!
      Matthew
      "The Car Count Fixer"

• Our Sponsors

Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50

Fast Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50