Quantcast

Gonzo

Article: Ya Can't Please Them All - It's just the way it is.....

Ya Can’t Please Them All
When you start your own business, no matter what trade it is in, you’re initial goal is to make every customer happy with the results of your efforts. As the years start tacking on, you realize that some people, no matter what you do, aren’t going to be happy with whatever you’ve accomplished for them. That’s not to say you did a lousy job, or screwed something up, no, not hardly. It’s just some people’s nature to give every type of service person a hard time and to always try to find a way of getting a better deal or to make it known they’re right and you’re wrong. Even if that means ticking you off to the “nth” degree in the process.

I’ve run into a many of these people over the decades of servicing cars. It’s bad enough that a portion of the general population already has some misconstrued idea that all mechanics are out to rip them off. Then to add on top of that the deal breaker/makers and the price shoppers. We all know with a bit of effort, somewhere out there you can find a part cheaper, and if you can find the part cheaper there’s no doubt you’ll find someone to install that part cheaper too. Although, quality seems to have been forgotten about when it comes to those price shoppers. But, it goes deeper than that with some of these folks that ya just can’t seem to please. Some, are all about their own principals of doing business with someone else, and it’s their principals that they expect you to follow.

Case in point - - Diagnostic charges. Diagnostics is NOT repairing. Wherever this idea came from that a service person will spend an hour or so to figure out a problem is then going to give you that hour for free is absolutely absurd. I tend to tell people that ask me for free diagnostics to go to work every day and only get paid for half a day and see how they like it. As I’ve always said, “Stupid is free, knowledge will cost ya.”

Here’s a perfect example of a diagnostics unraveling into a “Get your car out of here and don’t ever come back” situation.

A car is dropped off for no headlights and no park lights. The problem is discussed, diagnostic charges are explained, and the tests were approved. The results, well, that’s where it gets a bit weird. This particular car required a new body control module (BCM) and at the time, the shop wasn’t setup with the proper scanner to perform the programming. It would be easier and cheaper just to send it to the dealer. Which means there are two ways to do that. You take your car to the dealership or the repair shop takes it there. If the shop does it there would be an additional charge for the techs time to run it back and forth. So, it would be cheaper if the customer took the car directly. We would set things up at the dealership so they knew what you wanted when you arrived. All of this was explained to the customer, who (on the phone) agreed that it would be the best way to handle it.

That all changed when it came time to pick the car up from the repair shop and deliver it to the dealership. Now it’s, “Hey can ya give me a break on the diagnostic charge since you can’t fix it?” No hello, how are ya, or how’s it going, just fling the lobby door open and start right in trying to get a better price on the bill. Then, the girl friend that came along as his back up, had to chime in said, “You shouldn’t even look at the car if you can’t fix it!” This started a chain reaction of insults and denial that any of the original diagnostic fees were discussed, let alone how if I took the car to the dealer and back to my shop it would cost more than if you just took the car to the dealer yourself. Then, trying to slip in my own rebuttal to the girlfriend’s question, “If I don’t diagnose the problem how would I know what part or what wire needs repaired. The entire problem could have turned out to be a couple busted wires instead of the BCM! Seriously, I don’t rebuild transmissions but I can diagnose a shifting problem. The way you’re stating things I shouldn’t even do that!”

The two of them were on a roll. One feeding off the others comments, which were all directed at my inability to “fix” their car’s problem. By, now I’ve reached that point where their goal and conquest of the almighty repair shop diagnostic fee has come to the boil over point. I’ve had enough, it’s not worth the effort, the argument, or the aggravation. Time to rip up the invoice, take the loss of time and move on. No sense in ruining the rest of my day. Ya can’t get blood from a turnip, and I’m sure as heck not going to be able to educate these folks on what it takes to diagnose the modern car. “Here’s your keys, take your car and get out of here. Don’t ever bring anything here again!”

The whole entire job seemed destined to end that way from the minute they walked into the lobby. I don’t blame them, I don’t even blame the car manufacturer for producing a problem that couldn’t be repaired without having to program a component. It’s the combination of all of it capped off with the unmistakable human nature of some people who always feel that the mechanic is only there to rip them off rather than someone whose primary function is to help them out. As it is, “Ya just can’t please them all”

There are those “experts” out there that will tell you to forget about these type of customers and only dwell on your good customers. But, when you’re in the business of working with the general public how do you know which is which? I still can’t tell. When I first started I had no idea there were people out there that had the gum-shun to consistently badger any professional about what they’re doing. I soon found out it didn’t matter if you were a fireman, a plumber, or a mechanic some people are going to argue with them no matter what.

They just can’t accept the fact that they don’t know as much as they think they know or that a professional service person might know a bit more than they do and that you have to pay for their knowledge and services. Somehow, someway, they add 2 and 2 together and come up with 99 reasons why their right and your wrong.

It’s a good thing you don’t run across people like this very often. But, it’s good to know the difference between the ones you can help and the ones you can’t. That’s when all you have to do is remind yourself, “Ya can’t please them all.”

Click here to view the article
  • Like 2

• Similar Forum Topics

• Goodyear exiting the repair business

It seems that Goodyear corporate stores are changing their business model from Tire and Repair Service centers to strictly tires.   The franchise stores are free to continue their old business model.    Around here, the corporate stores are going to close down on January 27 for 2-3 weeks for a major remodel and possibly? rebranding.   They will sell tires and do alignments, but will not be able to align if they need repair parts.   I've not seen any official statements on this, so I don't really know more than the scuttlebutt. It looks like Hunter will have a great year this year as a result.  I saw a brand new Hunter Revolution tire machine in one of the local stores already. I stand to benefit from this change as we may see some of their repair business.   Since I don't sell tires, I'm not a Goodyear competitor, which allows them to safely refer repair business to us.   Almost everyone else around here sells tires.   We refer quite a few folks to tire-only stores, so Goodyear will now be on my referral list.

By bantar, in General Automotive Discussion

• 4 replies
    • Customer's buying their own parts

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and was looking for this subject but couldn't find it. Sorry If I'm posted something that's already been discussed. I own a brake shop in Austin, TX. We do anywhere from 10-20 brake jobs a day. We only do brakes so I don't know how much full service auto shops deal with this problem but... Customers are constantly calling in claiming they've bought the best parts or they want to provide their own parts because they've done research and know what is best. This drives me crazy. First of all they don't know whats best. Then after being told no they get offended and act like tons of shops allow this. What is the best way to handle these customers? Just send them away? I'll quote them a price using our parts and they act as though its a rip off. What shops are doing this for their customers? I feel like I'm letting jobs get away from me. Any experience with this?

By Jonathan Ganther, in General Automotive Discussion

• 78 replies
    • Do you guarantee results from your diagnostic time?

I think we all know that diagnostics is the most costly service we provide in the automotive repair business today. In today's automotive repair environment, you need to be selling diagnostics, and getting paid for it. I'm looking for feedback on when things don't go exactly as planned.  Let's say a car comes in and you sell some diagnostics, by the hour, or from a menu. After you complete that work, and you still don't have an answer, do you go back to the customer and sell some more? Do you continue at your expense? If you do go back to the customer, and you have nothing conclusive after that, then what? Do you keep going back and selling more diagnostic work until you solve the problem? If you continue to go back and sell more, how many times can you do that? We've all had that car that we've worked on for weeks to find some strange problem. I doubt many customers are willing to pay for the 40 hours you spent on the car. Now lets say after 5 hours of work that the customer agreed to, you are no closer to finding the issue than when the car came in. Do you charge them for the 5 hours and send them down the road even though you have not provided them with a diagnoses? Do you start spending your time trying to solve the issue because you have a hard time charging for 5 hours and are unable to provide any answers? I'm asking these questions as I am rethinking my business strategy on diagnostics a little. Our shop is known for its abilities to diagnose problems. We have other shops bringing cars to us on a regular basis because of these abilities. I actually get several calls and emails weekly from across the county for help diagnosing problems. There are times, a lot of times, when I think this is more of a curse, than a blessing. I know we are in the business of fixing cars, and we need to be able to find problems if customers are going to keep coming back. But after my lead tech and I spent a considerable amount of time over the last 15 days diagnosing the strangest intermittent no start issue on an Audi, and watching his frustration grow everyday, not because of the difficulty of the issue as we both love the challenge, but because it held him back from addressing the other work that was coming in the shop.  So, as rewarding as it was to solve that mystery, I can't help but look back at what it cost me financially, and the frustration to the technician, and realize we have to come up with a way to try to avoid going down those rabbit holes. Right now my idea is to give it 1 hour. If after an hour, we are not relatively certain that we will find the issue, with another hour or two, then let the car go. Let the customer know that it's not that we can't fix the car, but that we cannot fix it efficiently. If I lose that customer, it would probably still be cheaper that working on his car for 2 weeks. Love to hear your thoughts. Scott          

By ScottSpec, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 9 replies
    • Article: Challenges Of The Auto Repair Business

As the auto industry moves on into the modern age, repair centers all around the country are experiencing pressure with the tech world and our world colliding. We are all trailing nationwide franchises and dealerships that have endless resources working at their disposal. For most smaller auto repair businesses there isn’t enough time, money, or energy to attempt to constantly and actively secure the new business. We’re mostly worried about attempting to maintain the existing business we have, which has newer cars and increasing demands. Most of our time is now spent adjusting to the learning curve of advanced vehicle systems. However, that’s just a shop problem. The front office of your shop has its own issues to contend with that didn’t exist 15 years ago. Make no mistake about it, our industry is in the middle of a revolution and with 3D printing knocking at the door… the amount of balls to juggle are going to be considerable and it's all just getting started. Today’s auto repair businesses need to worry about the following: Location – Securing a proper location and the authorization to conduct business there over the long term ensures survival. Tools – Without the proper tools, we just can’t work on today’s vehicles. Training – Without the proper training, we put ourselves and our customers at high risk. Employee Engagement – Keeping your employees as interested in your success as you are is critical to the elements that keep people returning and employees from leaving. Employee Advancement – Providing an environment where employees know they can grow with your business, whether financially or moving up within the organization, is the key to keeping and securing talent. Marketing – This is the most complicated element in today’s world. It involves a mix of a strong web presence, good advertising ethics, social media profile, and following up with customers. Advertising – Can be expensive and very confusing. The best method to start is to get your feet wet with small budgets that keep your name in front of your potential customers, constantly. Software – Without good software, it is difficult to run any business. Good software is and always has been subjective. Our experiences indicate that good software saves you time and builds trust with your customers. Most importantly, it should work for you and not against you. This article originally published in CAR's News Section
      View full article

By CAR_AutoReports, in AutoShopOwner Articles

• 0 replies
    • Business management training

Have any of you attended classes or seminars put on by a company called ATI automotive training institute ? Was considering signing up for a 1 day class.

By Bob K, in Workflow Management

• 9 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors