Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
Gonzo

Article: Who can you trust - politics and mechanics

Who can you trust?

With all the presidential debating and finger pointing, who can you trust? You listen, you observe, and you contemplate on which candidate is more likely to solve the issues. Then, after listening to the candidates you make your decision as to which way to go.

Although, when it comes to car repair most people want to rely on what they’ve been told by someone who claims to be a mechanic far more than the promises from someone who claims to be a politician. However, not everything you hear about car repair is presidential material either. You’ve got to keep in mind where and who that information is coming from.

People come to repair shops all the time with some sort of wild and zany claim from another mechanic. Sometimes their interpretation of what the last mechanic told them has been skewed by their vague recollection of the facts. Occasionally, it does take some sorting out, but even then it can still leave some doubt as to what the real issue is.

The mere mention of a code number brings on all kinds of interpretations, and a lot of trust is put into the first person who reads the service code. Now, if that’s the guy whose job it is to sell parts but offers free code checks I’m a bit skeptic. (Sounds more like the politician telling you that there will be a chicken in every pot.) Then, with attributes of a politician’s speech they’ll tell the consumer all about the repair procedures and make promises they can’t keep. All the while, the unwarily consumer puts full faith in the explanation.

When they finally get to a real repair shop the real problem begins when the mechanic tells them, “I’ll need to diagnose it in order see what’s going on.” It starts a chain reaction of doubt and disbelief. And, of course, the customer is wondering, “Who should I trust?” The guy at the parts store that told me all about the repair or this mechanic who doesn’t trust the first guy’s results?

How do you undo what has already been done by the guy reading the code and making promises they can’t keep. On the other hand, if the mechanic involved in the repair is perfectly capable of doing the repair and has all the needed equipment to properly diagnose and perform the repair, (those things the first guy may have lacked) then why is it so hard for the consumer to make the connection that the first guy may not have the complete answers after all?

Even if the code reader guy is dead right and it’s merely a problem of being properly equipped to make the repair, why is it so hard for the second mechanic to get past the paper work in the front office? It’s the politics of business I guess. I mean seriously, if doctor “A” sends you to doctor “B” chances are they are still going to re-diagnose the patient. It’s really no different for the second mechanic. They’ve got to re-check the first mechanic’s results to verify the problem.

Doubt has to be factored into all of this too. Some people will still hold onto their first choice for political office even after they’ve been proven wrong by other sources. Sometimes, it’s the same way the consumer feels about the first mechanic who looked at their car. They may feel that he knows what he’s doing, and there’s a chance this second mechanic may not know what he’s doing, but in order to go any further the consumer has to vote for either the first guy or the second guy. Either way, it’s going to cost them to find out, and just like in an election, you’re stuck with the results until you can change it again.

You would think things like certifications all over the walls, testimonials from previous customers, or online reviews would help. But, not all the time. It still comes down to how a particular person feels about the mechanic (or politician) their talking to. One off comment to the consumer and it becomes a deal breaker. Maybe it was nothing, maybe it was just their mannerism, but whatever the reason is, it still comes down to, “Who can you trust?”

Maybe, what good mechanics and service writers need is somebody who can see things from both sides of the counter. Someone who can relate to the customer, but at the same time someone who can talk mechanic talk. You know, a politically correct advisor. A lot of companies offer these types of services, and for the most part they do a great job of softening the edge between the consumer and mechanic. But, just to be politically correct, check them out before you vote for your choice.

Political speeches aside, it still comes down to the technician with the wrenches out in the service bay. Can they do the job, do they have the skills, and can they keep their promises. A good mechanic, male or female, may not always be the best speaker, or the most popular, or have the most politically correct demeanor. But, what they do have is those skills that make them a good technician, and quite frankly, the best for the job. They’ll get my vote every time. Then again, especially for the consumer, be informed, educate yourself about what is going on with your car and find a mechanic that you’re happy with. Because, it all comes down to “Who can you trust”.

Click here to view the article
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Listen to an accountant, not the tool truck rep for Tax savings

At the end of each year, it's typical of tool reps and salespeople to give you tax advise. Often they will tell you that buying tools and equipment can be used as a way to lower income taxes. While this may be true, no one has a better handle on your financial situation that a good tax accountant.  Listen to the expert, not the tool truck rep.  Spending money to save on taxes also reduces your cash flow.  I am not an accountant, but sometimes its better to pay a little extra in taxes and maintain a cash reserve.  Your thoughts?  

By Joe Marconi, in Accounting, Profitability, & Payroll

• 1 reply
    • [BAD NEWS] Think Your Customers actually TRUST You?

Yes, I was shocked - and you will be too! The most current report from AAA reveals critical information that YOU need to know. 
      Hope this helps!
      Matthew Lee
      "The Car Count Fixer"
      Grow your Car Count, Income and Profits!

By JustTheBest, in Marketing, Advertising, & Promoting

• 0 replies
    • Aftermarket Parts Issues Driving Me Up A Wall!!!

There are days I want to set the place on fire (sometimes just customers cars) ok just kidding. I seem to be getting a streak of problematic parts lately. I am so tired of reps telling me about quality, oem specs, warranty blah blah. My main supplier is AAP. Here are some examples below. - 2000 wrangler needing rear axles due to bearing failure. Ordered Dorman axles and both had fitment issues where once installed the differential pin wouldn't fit in due to improper clearances on the axle. Ordered another brand online Yukon Axles. - 1995 Lexus SC300 (mint cond, low miles) Felpro valve cover gasket was manufactured too thick and didn't fit in the groove on the valve cover. Ordered from Lexus and fit fine. - Forgot the year (Chrysler van) water pump with a pulley that wobbled and even the online reviews had the same issue.  - 1993 Wrangler water pump machined incorrectly where once bolted to the block, the ears of the pump where the ps pump bracket bolts to was not machined correctly and if you tried to bolt it on it would bend the water pump. Ordered AC Delco (i think) from Cold air distributors and worked fine. - 1999 Lexus ES300 front left brake hose manufactured incorrectly. Ordered another brand, probably Raybestos from Cold Air Distributors, and all is well. - 2003 Taurus 3.0 OHV timing cover from Dorman 635-117. Online reviews had some issues but the oem unit was expensive. I ordered 3 before I found one that was machined good enough then installed. Came back a while later leaking. I ordered a replacement under warranty and the quality control was horrible. Just ended up getting the ford one and looked and seemed to work great. Time will tell - 2005 Honda Element Monroe struts all the way around (these are the ones) in the front like the civics where the strut has the bracket where the tie rod bolts to. Left front was fine. Right front couldn't get aligned properly as the bracket for the tie rod was welded on at the wrong angle. Went through a couple from the local parts store then I think Monroe sent me a strut that was tested to be ok on their manufacturing/ quality control/ measurement jig and it still failed. They paid to have the old Honda part sent back for inspection. I think i ordered KYB for the front and all was well.  I use the AAP Wearever Platinum which have been great brake pad material and braking, but lately they don't fit properly and I have taken video to show the reps and I believe when the backing plate is cut, there are imperfections where it wont fit into the caliper bracket without me grinding the backing plate on the edges. The actual manufacturing company for them sent a rep to a local AAP BBQ event and I talked to him and he is very aware and they supposedly changed the manufacturing process to address this issue but recently I did a brake job and had the same issue then installed Akebono and all was well. I am considering switching to the Wagner TQ which they stock as well. They give me an across the board pricing on the Platinum pads of $34.99 on most vehicles. Has anybody got a good pricing structure on the Wagners? AAP gives a 3 month parts and labor warranty on pretty much everything they sell. The labor is reimbursed on my parts account at 1/2 my shop labor rate times the book time. The problem is I still have to write up an invoice showing that I replaced the part and didn't charge the customer, and spend time calling their hotline and explain what happened, then fax or scan and email the original invoice, warranty invoice, original parts invoice with the claim numbers and I still have to call and check in to make sure the claims have been processed and paid out. This takes time and is not very encouraging. Otherwise the parts themselves have the standard warranties, 2 year, 3 year, lifetime, etc. though this still requires me to redo the repair that should have been successful the first time. I am the owner and mechanic and I waste so much time in the office dealing with parts, Calling manufacturers tech support lines, taking measurements, sending pictures of parts problems. Then if I cannot get it resolved having to research another part. The Dorman timing covers were terrible. the metal was porous and i sent them a screenshot of their website talking about "High quality plastic or metal construction resists warping, cracking and porousness". I am surprised that these companies don't look at the reviews of their own products and correct the issues. I do need another technician so I don't have to wear so many hats but in the meantime how do you folks deal with these types of issues.  The other issue is because I am not a high volume purchaser, although it is getting better as I grow, I have to purchase the majority of my parts from AAP to keep myself on a reasonable tier level. If I spread my purchases around then I can fall off the tier level in a short time. I like AAP and they have a warehouse near me and have a vast inventory available locally as opposed to other suppliers. Most of the stuff I get is name brand stuff to avoid junk parts. I like Moog, National, Motorcraft, Delco, Etc so its not like I am trying to be cheap on everything, I just seem to get burned a lot. When the commercial reps come by, it is usually to check up on business and try to sell me something or a service or a package deal, however when I show them the issues I am having, they really don't or cannot do anything other than listen and tell me about their "quality parts". I ask for the numbers to the engineering departments to try and at least get some of these issues resolved and I cannot get through. How do ya'll deal with these situations?

By [email protected], in Automotive Products & Services

• 21 replies
    • Debating Opening 2 Bay Shop, Solo Operation

)Here's the situation, and if there is anything else you'd like to know I'd be glad to offer up any information I have. I'm a 10+ year tech, both automotive and heavy truck/equipment repair. I have a good friend who owns a two bay shop with a large waiting area and office. He has been letting me work out of his building as it is up for lease. He found someone that wants to lease the building to open a second location for his successful used car dealership, but he has no use for the shop portion as he outsources his work. I've been offered to lease the shop portion, 10 of 32 parking spots, and share the waiting room/lounge for $500 per month. One bay has a 9,000lb lift, the other bay an oil change pit. There is already an industrial compressor there, a back room for a desk and storage, a coolant flush machine, differential fill machine, and a trans flush machine. I have as many hand tools as I need to get going, and a Snap On diagnostic scanner. I have yet to get quoted insurance prices, but have researched NYS Registered Repair Shop requirements. I really think I can make something work with the low overhead, and I am in a position in my life (36, single, no children, no house) that I can scrape by financially while I build things up for a few years. I have good credit. I have a brother and several friends (technicians) who are able to help for minimal cost on an as needed basis, as well as an accountant in the family to take care of that side of things. Ideally the plan would be to get things rolling and as soon as possible fill the oil change pit/pour concrete in preparation for a second lift, as that's where the bottleneck would be I figure. The other benefit is that the used car dealer agreed to allow me to do his work, and he plans on having roughly 20 cars on the lot at any given time. I also have another used car dealer who brings me his work, roughly 3 cars per week. I live in an area where there is not a ton of money, as in a high percentage of people drive 10yr old or so cars. Any advice? I really want to make a go of this but I am doing as much research as I can to be as educated as I can before pulling the trigger. I appreciate anything you might be able to add, and I am reading through many posts as it is just to garner whatever knowledge I can from those with experience. I should also add I have absolutely no issue working insane amounts of hours (70,80), as I do that already. I have always wanted to work for myself and someday make some money for me instead of making it for others. 

By JBach151, in Auto Repair Shop Management Help? Post Here!

• 10 replies
    • More Issues with Flat Rate

There has been a lot of controversy recently with flat rate pay plans.  Below is a link to an article about a technician's strike that was held in Chicago. Although the strike and issues in the article centered around dealerships, the article brought up good points about flat rate pay, and the low hourly pay many techs receive.  It points to reasons why many techs are unhappy, leaving the industry and why we have issues attracting quality people to our industry.  I don't want to start a firestorm, and there are many forms of flat rate pay...but, is it time to rethink flat rate pay plans?  And also, we really need to compensate our employees at a standard that is in line with the training, the tools that are required and skills needed these days.  I think it is worth your while to read the article and start a conversation on this topic. http://www.autonews.com/article/20171023/RETAIL05/171029996/  

By Joe Marconi, in Human Resources, Payroll and Training

• 3 replies
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors