Quantcast

This topic has been fresh in my mind the last couple weeks, billy bob's backyard repair has been advertising absurdly low prices in my area. I rationalized every possible way to complete with him on price without ruining my reputation or my customers vehicles and came up short. This dude charges $20/hr you bring your own part. Theres a few guys working there too. I saw the same thing when I ran a towing service, bob's wrecker service $25 any tow any time up to 25 miles. They are like mosquitos at the BBQ one burns out and a new one takes its place.

I've tried to just not even think about it, but its frustrating to have to explain why I'm 5x this cowboy's price over and over again. Workers comp, liability ins, service manuals? Professional service equipment? No way unless the magic free fairy lives there.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ncsvoboda7
      Hey guys,

So I am still working on a business plan for a central Kansas startup shop and I am looking around and am thinking to myself, how on earth am I going to rise to the top and be better than every Joe Shmoe that knows how to turn a wrench and has a garage on that busy little corner lot.

Before I go any further in planning my business, I want to decide whether or not I can compete with all the different competition and I would really like everyone's input on this.

We have everything from the "best price in town but here is a Ziploc with some extra parts we didn't know what to do with" to the "would you like a refill on that shade grown Columbian imported coffee?" shop in town.

Where can I fit in? How do i build my own niche to make money and gain market share? What can I do to compete or rise above the rest? How can I stand out from the rest and nudge my way in to gain some share in the auto repair industry?

I am planning for a slightly higher end shop, I don't want to be the lowest price shop in town for sure but I also don't quite want to be the most expensive. I want to charge a little more for a quality job, great customer service and a few extras like maybe pickup and dropoff services or free coffee and cable in the waiting area. How can I make sure I can succeed in an already saturated and very competitive market?

Thanks!
    • By Joe Marconi
      More and more new car dealers are jumping on the band wagon and offering free maintenance or a low cost maintenance plan with new car sales and used car sales. When you factor in the longer warranties, an added maintenance plan may keep your customers going back to the dealer for a longer period of time.

I do not like leaving things to chance. The new breed of dealers left behind after the economic dust settles will be an aggressive bunch, having the support of the car maker behind them.

Should we worry? Should we find a way to compete? Should we wait and see what happens? Like to hear from you…
    • By Joe Marconi
      We have a lot of customers who are telling us that they have free oil changes with thier new car, from the new car dealer. Some for 1 year, 2 years, and some for a lot longer. I have a tough time letting my customers going back to the dealer for any type of service. People are loyal, but people are also creatures of habit.

How can we compete with “free”? Any ideas?
    • By Joe Marconi
      We have seen an increase recently in new car sales. A lot of those cars that my customers were hanging onto are long past the useful life. The problem is that there are many new car dealers giving 2 years or more of free maintenance. How can we compete with this? Do we need to be concerned?

Think of all the other challenges we have these days. I know many of you might say that we lose a certain amount of customers for the first few years anyway when a customer buys a new car. But, I think now it’s different.

The dealerships need the service work now more than ever. Plus the dealer is beginning to understand the sales cycle. If they do a great job in the service department, it greatly increases their odds of selling those customers new cars in the future.

I would like to hear from other shop owners on what they think about free maintenance and how we can compete with this.
  • AutoShopOwner Sponsors