Quantcast

Got Talent? training, dedication, and more... to really shine, you got to have talent.

Gonzo

Got Talent?

There’s something to be said about having the skills needed to be a modern day mechanic. A true mechanic and not some guy just turning wrenches in a bone yard or playing around in his home garage. The skill of a talented mechanic is something that is accumulated over years of bending over a hood, but it also can be taught by a skilled teacher at a tech school, too. However, all the years of experience and all the training in the world can make you a pretty good mechanic, but you need one other thing, and that’s talent.

Red Skelton once said to his young protégé, “Talent is something you’re born with. Even if you are standing behind a brick wall, your talent will come through.” That protégé was none other than Johnny Carson, the King of late night television for 30 years. The same thing applies to the art of being a proficient, modern mechanic. Just like in any other field you can go into, you have to be able to take the knowledge you’ve inhaled from school or OJT and be able to apply it to the work you’re doing.

Some very talented people work in this field, and it’s not hard to tell who they are. Repair shops all over the country are looking for mechanics, and there seems to be a never ending shortage of them, but what those employers are really looking for is talent. Talent, isn’t necessarily something that can be taught, it’s something that comes natural. You can gain the talent if you don’t already have it, but it may take quite some time to develop those skills. Advanced classes help, OJT helps, and a whole lot of afterhours dedication doesn’t hurt either. As the old saying goes, “A good mechanic is never out of work.” Very true, however that old saying should actually be stated as, “A talented mechanic is never out of work.”

Everyone has some sort of talent, some sort of skill that separates them from the pack. For some, it’s an odd ball skill that gets them “15 minutes” of fame on the local news, while others have something they can turn into a career. Singing, for example has always been considered a “talent”, that’s a fair assessment of a trained singer’s abilities. But I think singing is more of a gift and ability combined.

Most people who can carry a tune are either born with it or find out in later life they have the talent for it. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of somebody suddenly developing that perfect soprano voice by accident. Even though I can’t sing a note, I still blare out my favorite song in the shower, but I know I don’t have the talent for it. If you’ve got what it takes to become a singer and you’re going to go to a prestigious school to develop those skills, chances are you’ve already got the singing voice. It’s not like you’re going to “learn” how to begin to sing when you’re there, you already can. The school just brings out the qualities of your talent. As for me, it would be a waste of time, it’s not my talent.

For the mechanic, there’s no doubt a natural ability is something a lot of talented mechanics carry with them, and their abilities are only enhanced with continual schooling. But, there are a lot of guys and gals who love cars and things mechanical and want to work in the field as a mechanic, but lack the ability to actually perform the job. This is so evident with a lot of weekend wrenchers who attempt to repair their own cars at home. It could be from a lack of a few basic skills, or a lack of mechanical abilities… or it could be they don’t have the talent for it either.

I hear it all the time from people who come into the shop to have their car repaired after they’ve spent countless hours swapping parts and pondering over a repair manual. They all say the same thing, “I do all of my own work.” Well, I seriously doubt they could actually do “all” their own work. More likely they’ve managed to change a few spark plugs or something. I’ve been at this trade for several decades and I can assure you I can’t do it all, and I don’t see how some weekend nut spinner with zero training in today’s cars could possibly be able to do it all either.

Sure, if you are one of those people who have two left feet, I’m sure in time you could learn to dance, and if you’re one of those people who can’t remember, “Righty tighty – lefty loosey” you can acquire the needed skills to become a top notch mechanic, too. But, there’s something to be said when a person finds the trade or skill they have their own natural ability in and their talent shines through. Ask most any tech college teacher and they’ll tell you the same thing, “Not all the students in here will make it to graduation.” Nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just that “talent” part of it is exposed in the early stages of becoming a full-fledged mechanic. You either got it, or ya gotta learn it, or you may never get it. Then again, it might a good thing you found out early that this trade isn’t cut out for you, and looking into a different career might be your best options.

Even though this trade still has a lot of heavy lifting, lots of grease and grime, and way too many scrapes and bruises to count it’s also one that the fair sex is taking notice. There’s some real talent in a lot of the gals I know in the trade. I find it rather amusing that nearly all the gals I personally know who are mechanics don’t have a problem asking for help when they get stuck on a problem or need a bit of extra muscle. But, the guys, well… I guess there’s a bit of that machoism about it that makes a few of them a little less likely to ask for help. I’m positive that in the future even more women will be in the trade, and I think that’s a step in the right direction to bring more respect to this trade as well.

If you’ve been in the trade for some time, male or female I’m sure you can spot a talented mechanic when you’ve talked to them for a bit, and I’m sure you can also spot some socket jockey trying to impress you with their past conquests rather than actual talent. I know I can. I always refer back to the old saying, “It don’t take me long to look at a horseshoe.”

It is a trade that needs more talented people in it. The cars are getting more and more complicated, and merely changing a couple of parts doesn’t make you a mechanic any more than me a singer because I sing a cappella style in the shower. The question is… got talent?

View full article

• Like 2

Great article and 100% correct. Sometimes we spend too much effort to bring out in someone what's not in them to begin with. Give me talent, the rest we can teach.

Great stuff Gonzo!

Thanx Joe.

Speaking of talent, I can say there were many in my place of work that had it. Most are gone now for various reasons,(retirement, moving on to other more challenging jobs,etc) the business changed over the years, which I am sorry to say. Boy,I can say we had some talent back in the day. There were guys that could take a piece of crappy working equipment, modify it and make it work much better. Yes that was in the day when the company designed their own equipment, now everything is pretty much bought off the shelf!

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

3 comments
      Got your attention? Good. The truth is, there is no such thing as the perfect technician pay plan. There are countless ways to create any pay plan. I’ve heard all the claims and opinions, and to be honest, it’s getting a little frustrating. Claims that an hourly paid pay plan cannot motivate. That flat rate is the only way to truly get the most production from your technicians. And then there’s the hybrid performance-based pay plan that many claim is the best.
      At a recent industry event, a shop owner from the Midwest boasted about his flat-rate techs and insisted that this pay plan should be adopted by all shops across the country. When I informed him that in states like New York, you cannot pay flat-rate, he was shocked. “Then how do you motivate your techs” he asked me.
      I remember the day in 1986 when I hired the best technician who ever worked for me in my 41 years as an automotive shop owner. We’ll call him Hal. When Hal reviewed my pay plan for him, and the incentive bonus document, he stared at it for a minute, looked up, and said, “Joe, this looks good, but here’s what I want.” He then wrote on top of the document the weekly salary he wanted. It was a BIG number. He went on to say, “Joe, I need to take home a certain amount of money. I have a home, a wife, two kids, and my Harly Davidson. I will work hard and produce for you. I don’t need an incentive bonus to do my work.” And he did, for the next 30 years, until the day he retired.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, here’s mine. Money is a motivator, but not the only motivator, and not the best motivator either. We have all heard this scenario, “She quit ABC Auto Center, to get a job at XYZ Auto Repair, and she’s making less money now at XYZ!” We all know that people don’t leave companies, they leave the people they work for or work with.
      With all this said, I do believe that an incentive-based pay plan can work. However, I also believe that a technician must be paid a very good base wage that is commensurate with their ability, experience, and certifications. I also believe that in addition to money, there needs to be a great benefits package. But the icing on the cake in any pay plan is the culture, mission, and vision of the company, which takes strong leadership. And let’s not forget that motivation also comes from praise, recognition, respect, and when technicians know that their work matters.
      Rather than looking for that elusive perfect pay plan, sit down with your technician. Find out what motivates them. What their goals are. Why do they get out of bed in the morning? When you tie their goals with your goals, you will have one powerful pay plan.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      This week on Business by the Numbers, I want to talk shop and share insights that hit close to home for every garage owner out there. Today, I’m talking about an often overlooked aspect of your business - the true cost of inaction. Not just the dollars and cents you count every day, but the opportunities you might be missing out on.
      • The Hidden Expenses: The not-so-obvious costs tied to decision-making in your shop. From choosing between internal work vs. retail work to the long-term effects of quick fixes
      • Opportunity Cost Explained: Ever wondered about the cost of sitting on your couch instead of grabbing that $100 helping a buddy out? Opportunity Cost: It's all about what you're missing out on by choosing one option over another.
      • Real-life Examples: From loaner cars to hiring decisions, I aim to illustrate how overlooking opportunity costs can have a tangible impact on your bottom line.
      And hey, if you're hitting up Kansas City for Vision 2024, swing by and say hi. I'll be there, ready to chat and share insights in person. See you out there!
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By nptrb

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Explore the challenges and benefits of mobile mechanics, Jesse's future ambitions for a physical shop, and the value of mentorship in the automotive industry. Jesse explains his transition to full-time mobile work, his marketing strategies, and customer service approach. He also touches on the logistics of mobile operations, from tools to working in various locations. Jesse Matthews, Matthews Mobile Mechanic LLC
      Show Notes
      Jesse's Journey to Full-Time (00:00:01) Jesse's transition from working at a dealership to becoming a full-time mobile mechanic, his plans for the future, and his marketing strategies. Marketing and Business Growth (00:06:27) Jesse's use of Facebook and Google pay-per-click ads for marketing, his website, and search engine optimization (SEO) strategies. Customer Interactions and Challenges (00:11:15) Jesse's approach to customer interactions, including explaining his services, handling customer preferences for parts, and overcoming hurdles in his business. Mobile Mechanic Operations (00:12:07) Jesse's use of a Ford Explorer for his mobile mechanic operations, his tools, and the challenges he faces with vehicle inspections. Building a Customer Base (00:15:31) Jesse's efforts to qualify customers, work with a mentor group, and his future plans to transition to a brick-and-mortar shop. Jesse's Start-up Journey (00:16:47) Jesse discusses the support he received from his wife and the challenges of starting his mobile mechanic business. Setting Rates and Business Growth (00:18:02) Jesse talks about starting his rates, increasing them, and the value he provides as a mobile mechanic. Expanding Business and Future Plans (00:21:37) Jesse shares his plans for a brick-and-mortar location and hiring a part-time assistant. Diversifying Services (00:23:09) Discussion on the potential of offering pickup and delivery services and adapting to changes in work styles. Starting with Why (00:24:27) The importance of having a strong reason for starting a business and personal growth in entrepreneurship. Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX and NAPA TRACS Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections            
    • By carmcapriotto
      Can a break-up be the catalyst for an entrepreneurial leap? Find out during Shawn Gilfillan's 20 questions in 30 minutes episode! Shawn also discusses the importance of a strong business culture, mentorship, and the joy of hobbies like aviation. Shawn shares strategies for managing gross margins and the significance of client experience. Shawn Gilfillan, Automotive Magic, Kenvil and Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Shawn’s previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Automotive Magic (00:00:17) Shawn Gilfillan discusses the founding of Automotive Magic on April Fool's Day in 2003. Life Calibration (00:00:41) Shawn talks about his work with Chris Lawson and the high-performance team coaching program at Life Calibration. Life Calibration: From Burnout to Balance [THA 348]: https://remarkableresults.biz/remarkable-results-radio-podcast/a348/ Mentorship and Self-Development (00:04:54) Shawn discusses the impact of mentors and self-development in his journey as a shop owner. Hobbies (00:06:10) Shawn talks about his hobbies, including aviation. Motivation and Business Culture (00:07:46) Shawn shares his motivation for getting up in the morning and discusses how he creates opportunities for others to thrive and elevates their performance. Advice and Fear (00:11:49) Shawn shares advice on overcoming fear and empowering employees as an owner/CEO. Book Recommendation (00:13:13) Shawn recommends "Hero on a Mission" by Donald Miller and discusses its impact on his perspective as a business owner. Building Business Culture (00:14:50) Shawn discusses the challenges and importance of building a strong business culture from the top down. Culture and Team Dynamics (00:15:40) Discussion on creating a positive work culture and building a cohesive team. Leadership and Vision (00:16:29) The importance of establishing a vision and values from the start, and involving the team in maintaining the culture. Client Experience and Relationship Building (00:19:36) Strategies for understanding and meeting client needs, and building strong client relationships. Adaptability and Change (00:20:47) The significance of embracing change and adapting to business challenges. Leadership Crisis and Team Support (00:21:00) Dealing with unexpected managerial crises and the importance of team support. Personal Development and Skills (00:23:14) The desire for new skills and personal development, such as learning magic tricks. Business Management and Gross Margin (00:24:14) Strategies for managing gross margin and keeping front-end operations efficient. Car Count and Scheduling (00:25:35) Strategies for managing car count, scheduling, and maintaining workflow in the shop. Future Reservations and Client Commitment (00:27:21) The importance of setting future reservations and ensuring client commitment to scheduled appointments. Leadership Communication (00:29:17) Encouraging a shift in language and communication to emphasize the importance of future reservations. Hiring and Relationships (00:30:12) Discussion on hiring and relationships in the workplace, including the impact of personal relationships on work performance. Dream Car (00:31:37) Shawn's dream car and the enjoyment he derives from it. Opening a New Shop (00:32:11) The three important needs for opening a new shop: location, good people, and effective marketing. Marketing Strategy (00:32:33) The success of giving away the first hundred oil changes for free as a marketing strategy. Firing a Customer (00:33:52) A recent incident of firing a customer due to their attitude and behavior at the shop.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections    

• Our Sponsors