Quantcast

Notice to all customers bringing their own parts

Yeah, but I'm making it just something to laugh about but actually try to bring a point across. Maybe some people will understand.

Had a guy ask me today if it would be cheaper if he brought his own parts, when I said no he asked if I could use the cheapest parts I could find and not give him a warranty. Seriously....

Car ER, we try to educate them as best we can. If all else fails and they are looking to bottom feed then send them down the road. If you present yourself as a professional establishment then you should be able to reduce that sort of thing but we can never completely get rid of the people that just don't get it.

I had a hard and fast policy of NO CUSTOMER SUPPLIED PARTS! Then this summer I broke that rule and agreed to install customer supplied A/C compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion valve and belt. Well it seems there were two belts, an early and late design. Guess which one she had? She was told right up front, before ever touching the thing how much it would cost and that there was ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. Seems her stretch fit belt was a little too long so after a day or so it started to squeal. She brings it back, of course it's my fault because I just "fixed it." You know that story of the charges are directly related to your attitude? Well she was to a *itch what a *itch is to a reasonable person. So she is going to pay me to look at the car, she is going to pay me to replace HER wrong belt and she is going to pay for the belt. When I tell her what is wrong, what it will cost and how long it will take to get the parts she goes ballistic. Where is the part? Why can't she go get the part (the car is on the hoist partially torn apart). Why does she have to pay to fix my mistake? Etc. Etc. Etc.She refuses to agree to pay for the proper belt. She also complains because I will not take her car down off the hoist until she pays me for my inspection. Like I said, it's all related to attitude lady.

A couple months later she posts negative reviews on farcebook and Google. Like all good fiction there is a basis in reality but everything else is pure fantasy. I was going to charge her $150 and the dealer installed her belt for $40. Well the belt was $29 plus tax and labor. The dealer would not be installing a stretch-fit belt with a labor time of .6 hour. Oh, and the noisy belt was a "fire hazard." And I "told her it would take only 4 hours and it took 7." The expansion valve alone has a book time of 2.8 hours, plus the receiver dryer (.6) the compressor (.9) evac and recharge, yep, I told her 4 hours alright.

Bottom line is I never should have broken my own rule. No matter how many times, how many ways, or how many reminders you give the customer, even notarized documents won't stop the amnesia of NO WARRANTY. "But you just fixed it." Nope, never again, NO CUSTOMER SUPPLIED PARTS! With the exception of special interest/vintage vehicles where there ar every few sources anyway. And even then I will resist. Don't do it guys. Just don't install customer supplied parts. There literally is NOTHING (good) in it for you.

• Like 2

I had a hard and fast policy of NO CUSTOMER SUPPLIED PARTS! Then this summer I broke that rule and agreed to install customer supplied A/C compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion valve and belt. Well it seems there were two belts, an early and late design. Guess which one she had? She was told right up front, before ever touching the thing how much it would cost and that there was ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. Seems her stretch fit belt was a little too long so after a day or so it started to squeal. She brings it back, of course it's my fault because I just "fixed it." You know that story of the charges are directly related to your attitude? Well she was to a *itch what a *itch is to a reasonable person. So she is going to pay me to look at the car, she is going to pay me to replace HER wrong belt and she is going to pay for the belt. When I tell her what is wrong, what it will cost and how long it will take to get the parts she goes ballistic. Where is the part? Why can't she go get the part (the car is on the hoist partially torn apart). Why does she have to pay to fix my mistake? Etc. Etc. Etc.She refuses to agree to pay for the proper belt. She also complains because I will not take her car down off the hoist until she pays me for my inspection. Like I said, it's all related to attitude lady.

A couple months later she posts negative reviews on farcebook and Google. Like all good fiction there is a basis in reality but everything else is pure fantasy. I was going to charge her $150 and the dealer installed her belt for $40. Well the belt was $29 plus tax and labor. The dealer would not be installing a stretch-fit belt with a labor time of .6 hour. Oh, and the noisy belt was a "fire hazard." And I "told her it would take only 4 hours and it took 7." The expansion valve alone has a book time of 2.8 hours, plus the receiver dryer (.6) the compressor (.9) evac and recharge, yep, I told her 4 hours alright.

Bottom line is I never should have broken my own rule. No matter how many times, how many ways, or how many reminders you give the customer, even notarized documents won't stop the amnesia of NO WARRANTY. "But you just fixed it." Nope, never again, NO CUSTOMER SUPPLIED PARTS! With the exception of special interest/vintage vehicles where there ar every few sources anyway. And even then I will resist. Don't do it guys. Just don't install customer supplied parts. There literally is NOTHING (good) in it for you.

The problem isn't so much with the parts it is the customers it attracts. These people do not value your service. They believe that they are purchasing a commodity like they would at Wal-Mart. This is all besides the fact we are losing half of our gross sales when we don't sell parts.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This fine gentleman called yesterday and after being very polite on the phone with him and explaining why we don't install customer supplied parts, he got upset and hung up on me. 10 minutes later, I get an email from Google saying I got a 1 star review. I waited till this morning before replying so I could calm down. I'm sure I could have handled it better, but honestly, people need to start understanding that not all parts are equal. Like the example I gave in the reply, you would never buy the cheapest steak you could find and expect a fine steak house to cook it for you. I honestly couldn't care less if this guy ever comes to my shop, in fact, I'd prefer he didn't. I'm to the point where I wish my invoices only gave job totals, not a break down of parts, labor, fees, tax, etc.

Just a few weeks ago, we had a guy bring in his car for a differential mount. He said he could do it himself, but his back was messed up and didn't feel like climbing under the car. Then he got upset when I provided an estimate, telling me 'I can do it for less than that!' I wanted to respond 'Great sir! You can probably cook a burger cheaper than Chili's too, but you don't get mad at them!' It's so nice to have customers who value the service you offer, but there are always a few who seem to get under your skin sometimes.

post-1435-0-08881900-1469624984_thumb.png

I'm at the point where when people give me tells to not take them as a customer including but not limited to, "I'm not looking to spend a lot of money" , "I could do it myself" , "My regular mechanic is busy" etc we have a system to politely fire them or not ever take them in. The headache of a crappy customer is never worth the money that you can potentially make off of them. There are too many people in this world and nearby your shop for you to settle for bottom feeders. Remember you are here to provide a unique and top notch service for a specific clientele for whoever your target customer is. Anyone that doesn't fit that mold you can't help them and it will hurt you far more if you try.

This fine gentleman called yesterday and after being very polite on the phone with him and explaining why we don't install customer supplied parts, he got upset and hung up on me. 10 minutes later, I get an email from Google saying I got a 1 star review. I waited till this morning before replying so I could calm down. I'm sure I could have handled it better, but honestly, people need to start understanding that not all parts are equal. Like the example I gave in the reply, you would never buy the cheapest steak you could find and expect a fine steak house to cook it for you. I honestly couldn't care less if this guy ever comes to my shop, in fact, I'd prefer he didn't. I'm to the point where I wish my invoices only gave job totals, not a break down of parts, labor, fees, tax, etc.

Just a few weeks ago, we had a guy bring in his car for a differential mount. He said he could do it himself, but his back was messed up and didn't feel like climbing under the car. Then he got upset when I provided an estimate, telling me 'I can do it for less than that!' I wanted to respond 'Great sir! You can probably cook a burger cheaper than Chili's too, but you don't get mad at them!' It's so nice to have customers who value the service you offer, but there are always a few who seem to get under your skin sometimes.

MMotley, I have seriously considered going to "totals only" on my invoices, I like you idea. I understand the taxes would be a exemption. My view is this business is evolving rapidly. The diagnosis is 50% of the repair today. The customers are starting to understand diagnostic charges. Are you aware of anyone that has implemented this billing practice, if so, how has it worked out.

Check your state laws. You may have to break out parts and labor on your invoices.

Agreed. If I get serious about it, that's the first thing I'd do. Right now it's not that big of an issue, but getting 1 star reviews because customers learn we mark up parts and for some reason they think that is unfair can get old quick

Agreed. If I get serious about it, that's the first thing I'd do. Right now it's not that big of an issue, but getting 1 star reviews because customers learn we mark up parts and for some reason they think that is unfair can get old quick

get really good at vetting and firing customers. I do it all the time, life is better for it.

Remember, not everyone is a customer you desire. Be prepared to send problem customers down the road. When a rare customer brings parts for me to install, I explain that it might seem like a good deal for them but it's really not. I try to convert them, but failing that, I charge time and a half for the job and NO WARRANTY for part or labor. Your'e not required to provide a warranty for anything you do anyway. The warranty you do provide only helps make you competitive in the market place. So tread carefully with warranties on any job. And lifetime warranties (marketing gimmick)...even the guy who built the car wasn't that stupid. Make sure the warranty or lack thereof is on the invoice and they sign it. Remember you must honor what you put in writing to be an honest shop. Anything you do beyond what you put in writing is goodwill for which you have no obligation. "This is how I make my living. It's not my hobby."

Edited by natsurgeon

Remember, not everyone is a customer you desire. Be prepared to send problem customers down the road. When a rare customer brings parts for me to install, I explain that it might seem like a good deal for them but it's really not. I try to convert them, but failing that, I charge time and a half for the job and NO WARRANTY for part or labor. Your not required to provide a warranty for anything you do anyway. The warranty you do provide only helps make you competitive in the market place. So tread carefully with warranties on any job. And lifetime warranties (marketing gimmick)...even the guy who built the car wasn't that stupid. Make sure the warranty or lack thereof is on the invoice and they sign it. Remember you must honor what you put in writing to be an honest shop. Anything you do beyond what you put in writing is goodwill for which you have no obligation. "This is how I make my living. It's not my hobby."

I'm not a legal expert, but I've been told that if you somehow end up in court, the whole 'customer supplied parts come with no warranty' won't hold water. Can't remember exactly how it was explained, but in today's world, it's not worth the risk/headache. I will say though, props to you for charging 1.5X the labor rate. That's probably the only way I would consider customer supplied parts, with a clear understanding that if there is any delay related to the parts, the customer is getting charged 1.5 the labor rate for the time it ties up a stall.

I shy away from customer supplied parts. I tell them that part of the expertise your paying for is the expert advise, and that as an expert I'm well aware of which parts from which supplier is the best part.

But, if they do the old beg and plead I throw this at them.

"Putting your parts in is like being at the rodeo. You say GO, and I rope the steer, when I've got it I throw my hands in the air and call time." AND, that's just how I'm going install your self-diagnose-self-purchased parts. I'm not even going to turn it on, I'm not even going to care about it. As long as it's installed properly my work is done. Now.... is that how you want it?"

Not one has taken me up on the offer... so basically...I still don't install customer supplied parts, unless they are so rare and there is no other choice.

• Like 1

My insurance company actually ask me this question on a questionnaire, I assume my premium was based on the exposer of doing this. How do you guys feel about installing customer tires ??? I see more Tire and Wheel packages than ever. Had a guy roll in with a 14 Mercedes E350, internet tires and wheels, already mounted and balanced but not on the car, no TPMS, wanted me to install TPMS from old wheels to new. I told he guy 300.00 , guy did not bat a eye. I still sorta felt like a whore after I did it. We gotta get a internet sales tax instituted. See ya David

I love the response "I'm not even going to care about it because once I install it I'm done. Is that how you want it?"

Listen, we enter into an Agreement with our customers and we all work our own Hippocratic oath so to speak: to do the best job possible to keep our customers on the road and safe. We all understand their need to save money. We all know that there are shifty repair shops out there and somehow we ALL get drug into the mud with them. BUT - we're good at what we do and we DESERVE to be paid accordingly. I refuse to compromise my standards for customers who want to supply their own parts. We make money on parts and we make money on labor. We back up our work and when something doesn't work as it should we then cut into the money we made AND the money we could be making working on another vehicle.

Nothing is free, folks. It's time to quit kissing asses to earn a nickel. If we can't respect ourselves then why expect our customers to respect us?

• Like 3

Example...Lady calls and wants to make an appointment to remove siezed lug nuts. Arrives on Sat morning and has a set of front brake pads. Premium quality..top shelf pads. Story goes she wanted to replace her own pads but last shop crossed several lug nuts. I replaced the lug nuts and studs, installed my rotors with her pads. Turns out she runs a paper delivery route and her car is her living. I now have a new customer that will tell all the other delivery drivers what GREAT SERVICE we deliver.

I would argue that is not a repeatable experience you can always provide. What if the pads didn't fit and you have her brakes apart? What if she started complaining of squealing? What is her car decided to not brake as well? What if she got into an accident and cited a braking problem?

I would argue that is not a repeatable experience you can always provide. What if the pads didn't fit and you have her brakes apart? What if she started complaining of squealing? What is her car decided to not brake as well? What if she got into an accident and cited a braking problem?

Exactly! The only way I would EVER consider installing customer supplied parts would be doubling my labor rate and explaining to them that if parts don't fit, I continue to charge 2X the shop rate for every minute it ties up a stall. Keep in mind, you could be making one of your good customers wait while you cater to the customer who is trying to cut into your profits.

Really, like mspec pointed out, it's the liability that is the real issue. In the court of law, you are the expert and should have known better if any of these parts cause problems later down the road. Not worth it to me or the guys that work for me.

• Like 1

We gotta get a internet sales tax instituted. See ya David

Whoo Boy are you asking for it.

I agree but there are so many anti-gubbermint anything types that usually populate boards like these, I think you kicked the hornet's nest.

And don't forget, these "use taxes" have been on the books in many states all along but simply aren't enforced but to the faux cable "news" watchers and listeners, the "internet sales tax" is a NEW TAX.

It's not a new tax but the politicians believe it is because the pundits tell them it is and because of the NO TAXES pledge they took to that unelected, unaccountable idiot who wants any country on earth to be able to drown our government in a bathtub. And that pledge means more than serving THE PEOPLE of the United States of America.

Turns out she runs a paper delivery route and her car is her living. I now have a new customer that will tell all the other delivery drivers what GREAT SERVICE we deliver.

What you have now is a consumer who will tell all her fellow drivers that you will install their parts. Hope you got thick skin and a "special" labor rate to make up for the lost parts profit/productivity/warranty comebacks and inevitable complaining.

You could do everything right, and they could provide "Premium quality..top shelf" parts but we all know that there is a warranty for a reason. Well you installed the part, you get to warranty it if it goes bad and there is nothing in the world that will change that customer expectation. You could have them watch a video, read a disclaimer and have their signature notarized while recording the whole process and email them the video and you will have consumers who will NOT remember the "NO WARRANTY" on customer supplied parts discussion and agreement you two had. I hope I am wrong, but I suspect this will come back to bite you. I suspect you will have a string of cars on Saturdays with customer supplied parts and they will not all be "Premium quality..top shelf" parts.

I really do wish you the best of luck.

Really, like mspec pointed out, it's the liability that is the real issue. In the court of law, you are the expert and should have known better if any of these parts cause problems later down the road. Not worth it to me or the guys that work for me.

When you, the shop buy a part through your supplier, your supplier has an obligation to you should that part fail. When you the shop owner allow the consumer to supply the part you are the final step in the liability path, no one there to back you up. So I NEVER install customer supplied parts. Now if it is an accessory they received as a gift, like a back-up camera or a remote starter, that's a whole different story.

If it is a vintage car and they have that specialty catalog where they can get that one supplier only part, well I have to buy the part even if I charge them exactly what they can buy it for. That way my insurance covers me and the supplier is responsible to me. I of course charge a higher "Vintage" car rate for the increased insurance exposure for possible damage to the car and lost parts profit.

Possible damage to the car, like this guy with a 1966 Ford F-100. He thinks its a $65,000 "show truck" while anyone else would look at it and see a maybe $15-18,000 mild modified restoration (1974 V-8 to replace the original straight 6 and aftermarket power brake booster). He thinks it's this great truck and complained that I got dirt and grease on the seat. It's a white seat and there were dark marks like I get on my personal car seats so I agreed it was from my pants and I cleaned the seats. A year later he comes back and I put down the plastic floor liner and a fresh fender cover over the seat. Guess what? He still claimed I got his seat dirty. But what he didn't know is I took a high-res picture of the seat and I used a hand cleaner wipe to clean a small section as a "before/after" and showed him. He shut up, paid his bill and found another shop to pull his scam on. I heard his next bit was "a scratch" in the paint near where he had some rust bubbling up. Guess what? He expected the other shop to pay to fix the scratch and because they had to blend it over the rust, he expected the shop to pay for fixing the rust too. I think I dodged that bullet.

Consumers wanting to supply their own parts are not above pulling scams on you because you show a chink in your armor and a softness to their plight. They are not worth your time or your good will. That is why I refer to them as consumers.

• Like 1

Consumers - consume you. Your time, your patience, your good will, your generosity and charity. They do not value you, your knowledge/experience/expertise/education & training or what you do. They do not appreciate what you do for them because and they do not want to pay a fair price for it because they see no value in a proper repair with proper parts for the application. They do nothing but consume.

Customers - They see value in what you do even if they don't like the cost. They want to pay no more than they absolutely have to pay for an honest job but they are willing to pay a fair price for the peace of mind they get from the trust they have in you. They will trust you to do what they want/need to have done and nothing more. This trust is fleeting but they still trust you and value you and are willing to pay for that.

Client - They trust you completely and will agree with your recommendations no matter what, so long as they can afford it. They know you, they like you and they truly value you and your expertise. They will readily and eagerly recommend you to their friends because they trust you without fail. They are even willing to pay a higher price for your work because they see the value in the trust they have in you. This person is very precious and fragile. That is why we call them our best customers and reserve nothing but the best of us for them.

Now which definition do you think really fits people who want to supply their own parts?

I dont often install customer supplied parts. The pads she provided were better quality than OE. As far as being down I warned her upfront that if they were incorrect I would be putting mine on. Now if I get a run of paper delivery drivers wanting to bring their own parts it gets shut down. The fact is it was a Saturday..late in the day. I had the nuts and studs here already. I dont promote bring your own parts but by working with the lady I feel I earned a new customer that will return..seeing as how her last shop crossed the lug nuts and installed a less quality pad.

I agree that a little bit of flexibility, accommodating your customers wishes, is a great way to gain loyal customers who will tell their friends about you. Sometimes it might mean staying a few minutes late waiting for them, sometimes it might mean installing something they bought elsewhere. I think the key to this is making sure they know you were being nice and not allowing them to expect this from you every time.

• Like 1

Jeff, I get what your saying but here's the bigger problem. You installed brakes that you didn't source. You tell the customer that there is no warranty on those pads. They sign a waiver agreeing to this. They go down the road and the brakes fail. They have hit a little kid that ran out in the road and couldn't stop in time.

They signed the waiver and your covered right. That little kid didn't sign that waiver nor did the kids parents. Your insurance won't cover you because you didn't supply the parts. See the labor / install didn't fail , the part did and you are on your own.

The way i handle these "customers" is I do know of a shop that will let them bring their own parts and his labor rate is half what mine is. I send them to him. I have helped them, they get to save money and he gets more "customers". Thats a win,win,win.