Quantcast

Unconventional Repairs - - Thinking outside the box

Gonzo

Unconventional Repairs

There are times when all the diagnostic trees, diagrams, and graphs aren’t enough. Sometimes, you just can’t get from point A to point B without some sort of homemade intervention that will give you the answer. You need a little ingenuity, a little of that “Mac Gyver” magic to pull you through the next obstacle. It’s all part of that “natural mechanical ability” each one of us possesses; some use more of it than others of course. It’s safe to say, if you spend your day tinkering with mechanical or electrical devices like most mechanics do, you’ll soon find a way to circumvent a procedure with some sort of creative method or short cut that gets the job done faster.

Not all repairs require this touch or finesse, but there are those times when being unconventional just works better. If it wasn’t for me being a little unconventional way back when, and coming up with my own “Mac Gyver” quick-on-the-spot repair, I might have never impressed my wife. She was a customer at the time, and had a little problem with a power window. She didn’t have a lot to spend on the repair, and figured she could charm me into taking care of it. (I’ll admit it… I was a bit smitten from the get go.)

The retaining spring for one of the window motor’s brushes had snapped in half. All I had to do was find a replacement spring. I dug and dug around my tool box and desk drawers, but couldn’t find a spring the right size. Then I looked over and saw that she was patiently waiting for her car, while working on a crossword puzzle with a ball point pen. I struck up a conversation and talked her into letting me “borrow” her pen for a minute. As I unscrewed the pen and removed the spring, I gave her a wink and told her that this little spring was all I needed to fix her car. She looked a little confused, and had her doubts, but it worked perfectly, and… I got a date with that pretty little gal out of it. I’ll bet ya never thought that an unconventional repair would lead to a date and later marriage? Well, it did.

There are a lot of unconventional repairs that aren’t in any of the repair manuals. Things like heating or cooling a component to see if it is affected by temperature. If you’re following the diagnostic menu to the letter, it might tell you to check the impedance, or voltage input/output when the failure occurs. But, it might be just as easy to freeze that stubborn component and recheck it. I used this unconventional diagnostic method years ago to diagnose overheated ignition pick-up coils and modules. Definitely not in the repair procedures, but it did the trick.

There are all kinds of simple diagnostics tests that aren’t in any manual. Like spritzing water on plug wires to see if they’ll arc, or using a test light to ground out a spark plug. This isn’t duct tape and coat hanger repairs, not at all. I’m talking about coming up with ways to simplify, or side step some of the long drawn out procedures mechanics and technicians run across on a daily basis.

This “Mac Gyver” stuff isn’t anything new either. Odd repairs and diagnostic work like this have been going on since the beginning of time. Ask any old timer, they might tell you about putting a wooden clothes pin on the fuel line to keep the fuel from freezing up or vapor locking on a hot day. It works on the same principal as laying a wooden spoon across a pot to keep it from boiling over. (Never tried that? Try it, it works! I’ll bet your better half might know this trick.) These days however, when people talk about unconventional repairs or better ideas they don’t call them “unconventional” anymore, they’re called “life hacks”. Call it what you want… as long as it works.

If you look around I’m sure you’ll find a few life hacks just about everywhere. From the kitchen to the garage there’s always something that somebody has come up with to make life easier. Me, I’m more interested in something that makes my job in the shop easier. Like the few tricks mechanics have come up with to get stuck bolts out, or using plain water to free up rusted parts, or dousing a wire or harness with baby powder so it will slide easier through a narrow opening. The list is endless. I think it would be great if there was a website or book with all these life hacks that mechanics have come up with over the years. I know I’d keep a copy handy. Ya never know when you might need an unconventional method to solve a problem.

I haven’t found a book on the subject yet, but there a few of these life hacks that have made their way to You Tube. Like using starting fluid to reset a huge tire back on the rim. But, for the most part these tricks of the trade go unnoticed. Then again, there are a few of these unconventional repairs I’ve heard of that I find hard to believe. Some seem too farfetched or just plain idiotic to me. Let’s face it, not every Mac Gyver hack works all that well either.

My wife, you know the one with the ball point pen spring? She recently had a knee replaced. What an ordeal, lots and lots of tests, therapy sessions, and countless ice bags. Well after the months of physical therapy was over, she was still dealing with some tendonitis in one spot. Her doctor wanted to keep her on the regiment of continual therapy. But, her therapist had another idea. Her therapist was also a licensed dry needle therapist. Ok, call it what it is… acupuncture. After having her calf and quad muscles poked and prodded with a few dozen needles, the tendonitis problem vanished completely. It might be an ancient form of an unconventional repair… but it worked. Later, when she went back to her doctor for a checkup, he wasn’t exactly convinced the needle treatment had anything to do with her recovery.

Me, I’m just glad it eased her pain. Results are what matters, not so much how ya got there. That’s how a lot of these life hacks go. One person thinks its nuts, while another tries it, and it works great for them. To this day that stuffy old doctor isn’t buying the story. All I can say is, “Get over it Doc. Sometimes all we need to do is think outside the box and try something a little unconventional. It just might be the answer.”

View full article

I had an employee years ago that was changing out an ignition switch. In his haste to get it done he twisted this little odd shaped piece that joined the actual mechanical part of the ignition switch to the electrical part. The part was not available unless you bought the whole ignition switch assembly. It was about the same size as a no# 2 round shank phillips screw driver. I did a little welding and a bit of filing on an old screwdriver shank and made an exact copy.

Needless to say I was a bit pissed, but the mechanic never stopped thanking me for saving his ass. I laugh about it now...but it wasn't funny at the time.

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

2 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Dr. John Passante and Dr. Thomas Litzinger, titans of the automotive aftermarket industry, steer through the intricacies of professional development and organizational strategies. Some key takeaways: Innovation is non-negotiable, education is critical, and leadership makes the difference. Dr. John Passante is a legacy automotive aftermarket Human Resource professional and the President and CEO of The Organizational Development Group. John’s other episodes HERE. Dr. Thomas Litzinger, Chair of the University of the Aftermarket at Northwood University. Show Notes
      Leadership 2.0 (00:02:48) Discussion about the educational programs offered by the University of the Aftermarket at Northwood University. The importance of being a lifelong learner (00:04:14) The significance of being a lifelong learner in the automotive aftermarket industry and personal experiences related to learning. Right to Repair Legislation (00:11:01) The fight to secure data access for vehicle owners and independent repair shops, and the introduction of the right to repair legislation. Leadership development and scholarships for service professionals and technicians (00:16:09) The University's efforts to provide leadership development opportunities and scholarships for service professionals and technicians in the industry. The human spirit (00:18:46) The boundless human potential and the importance of collective effort and positive attitude. Legacy and teamwork (00:19:42) The impact of the human spirit, legacy, and teamwork in achieving common goals. Leadership and culture (00:21:42) The conversation shifts to the importance of culture and leadership in the workplace, emphasizing the value of nurturing and developing employees. Professional development (00:22:17) The need for professional technicians to receive training in financial acumen and leadership for their success. Retirement and personal growth (00:23:26) Speaker 2 shares his post-retirement activities, including executive coaching and writing children's books, emphasizing the importance of continuous personal growth. Leadership 2.0 program (00:24:33) Employee satisfaction and development (00:28:20) The importance of contributing to the life satisfaction of team members through organizational culture and training and development programs. Industry storytelling and leadership (00:31:13) The conversation ends with a focus on industry storytelling, leadership, and the significance of the automotive aftermarket.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections    
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com
      Matt Fanslow and Tanner Brandt discuss the nuances of automotive training and education. They emphasize the importance of selecting relevant classes that address specific areas of struggle within the industry, such as diagnosing parasitic battery drains. They highlight the complexities of troubleshooting and the limitations of current diagnostic tools, underscoring the need for better vehicle monitoring. The conversation also touches on the importance of networking and knowledge sharing, as well as the value of stepping out of one's comfort zone to explore new areas of learning at training events.
      Importance of selecting classes and getting the most out of training events in the automotive industry Choosing classes based on areas of struggle and seeking advice from experienced instructors Different phases of attending training events Value of soft skills and communication courses in the automotive industry Impact of quality training programs offered by NAPA Importance of ongoing training to keep up with evolving vehicle technology Importance of specialized training, particularly in the area of electric vehicles (EVs) Value of specialty classes focused on specific vehicle brands Importance of networking and staying engaged during training events Challenges faced in diagnosing automotive issues, particularly related to parasitic battery drains  
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Autotech napaautotech.com

Email Matt: [email protected]
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A - Z YouTube Channel HERE
      Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this podcast episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching introduces his upcoming book designed to help auto repair shop owners enhance their businesses. The book, tentatively titled "The Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching Owner's Guide to Everything You Didn't Know About Running a Successful Auto Repair Shop," covers topics like goal setting, financial management, staffing, and adapting to future technologies. Cotton invites shop owners to contribute suggestions and request a free copy. The episode, sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros, aims to motivate the bottom 50% of shop owners to grow and succeed in their industry.
      Chapter 1: What Do You Want as a Shop Owner? (00:02:13) Discusses the different goals and aspirations of shop owners and the importance of defining personal success.
      Chapter 2: Define Your Goals (00:03:08) Highlights the process of setting smart goals, understanding business variables, and keeping an eye on market trends.
      Chapter 3: Barriers to Coaching (00:04:13) Explores the common barriers that prevent shop owners from seeking coaching and offers solutions.
      Chapter 4: Essentials of Being a Successful Auto Repair Shop (00:05:20) Covers the foundational aspects of running a successful auto repair shop, including meeting customer needs and financial stability.
      Chapter 5: The Importance of a Good Chart of Accounts (00:06:18) Emphasizes the significance of a well-maintained chart of accounts for financial management and streamlining.
      Chapter 6: The Vital Role of the Income Statement (00:07:26) Focuses on the income statement and its importance in financial review and standardization.
      Chapter 7: Determining the Right Car Count for Success (00:08:30) Addresses the misconception of needing more cars for sales goals and the importance of optimizing existing processes.
      Chapter 8: The Heartbeat of Auto Repair Businesses (00:09:33) Explores profit centers, margins, and the road to financial health in auto repair businesses.
      Chapter 9: Guest Chapter on Car Count and Marketing (00:10:38) Features insights from a guest expert on car count, marketing, and branding for auto repair shops.
      Chapter 10: Profit Margins and Parts Matrix (00:11:43) Delves into profit margins, parts matrixes, and strategies for maximizing profits in auto repair.
      Chapter 11: Cash Flow (00:12:32) Discusses the unique challenges of cash flow management in auto repair businesses and offers solutions for improving profitability.

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
    • By carmcapriotto
      It's time to find the hidden costs of 'busyness' in auto repair shops. It's not just about the work you do; it's about the work you're actually getting paid for. Measuring technician productivity is crucial - because if you're not measuring it, you can't manage it. It's a wake-up call for shops everywhere to stop leaving money on the table. Bill Haas, Haas Performance Consulting, Bill’s previous episodes HERE. Murray Voth, RPM Training. Listen to Murray’s previous episodes HERE Maylan Newton, ESI- Educational Seminars Institute. Maylan’s previous Episodes HERE Show Notes: The Importance of Shop Productivity (00:01:41) Discussion on the significance of measuring productivity and ensuring work is paid for. Challenges in Understanding Business Numbers (00:05:39) Discussion on the lack of understanding of business numbers and pricing strategies in the automotive industry. Implementing Time Clock Management (00:09:12) The importance of implementing time clock management and its impact on shop productivity. Setting Expectations and Accountability (00:11:14) The need for setting expectations and holding employees accountable for their performance. Challenges in Coaching and Accountability (00:12:25) The difficulty in coaching individuals who resist change and accountability in their business practices. Labor Rates and Coaching (00:18:40) Discussion on the impact of labor rates and the value of coaching in the automotive industry. Comparing Labor Rates (00:20:17) Debate on the practice of comparing labor rates and the importance of charging enough to pay employees. Technician Interviews and Billing (00:21:50) Perspective on technician interviews and billing practices, including misconceptions and lack of understanding. Business Education and Financial Planning (00:26:01) Importance of business education, financial planning, and understanding where the money goes in an automotive shop. Year-End Spending and Tax Strategies (00:27:16) Discussion on year-end spending, tax strategies, and the significance of paying fair taxes. The value of pricing (00:35:42) Discussion on the importance of presenting value over price in a competitive marketplace. The market for different pricing strategies (00:39:18) Highlighting the existence of markets for both top-tier pricing and lowest cost options, with a comparison to the tool market. The challenge of selling value (00:40:10) Debating the myth of offering better value and emphasizing the importance of growth and selling maintenance services. Defining fair pricing and value (00:40:40) Challenging the concept of fair pricing and discussing the perception of value in the eye of the beholder. Improving customer communication and value presentation (00:41:07) Emphasizing the importance of showcasing the quality of services, such as brake jobs, and the value they provide to customers. Challenges in selling diagnostic services (00:43:00) Discussion on the difficulties in selling diagnostic services and the need to shift from focusing on hours to tangible products and value. Efficiency in customer interactions and value communication (00:46:12) Emphasizing the need for efficient information gathering and value communication to customers during the intake process. The need to change industry mindset (00:52:07) Encouraging a shift in mindset within the automotive repair industry to drive change and success. The shop's transformation (00:54:08) Discussion on the positive changes and experiences after implementing changes in the shop. Clientele shift (00:55:00) The impact of changes on the clientele and the feedback received from customers. The value of preaching (00:56:06) Exploring the significance of preaching and the positive outcomes it brings in terms of leadership and company growth. Reward and challenges (00:57:00) Acknowledging the challenges and rewards of making significant changes in the business.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Connect with the Podcast -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        
    • By carmcapriotto
      Can a break-up be the catalyst for an entrepreneurial leap? Find out during Shawn Gilfillan's 20 questions in 30 minutes episode! Shawn also discusses the importance of a strong business culture, mentorship, and the joy of hobbies like aviation. Shawn shares strategies for managing gross margins and the significance of client experience. Shawn Gilfillan, Automotive Magic, Kenvil and Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Shawn’s previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Automotive Magic (00:00:17) Shawn Gilfillan discusses the founding of Automotive Magic on April Fool's Day in 2003. Life Calibration (00:00:41) Shawn talks about his work with Chris Lawson and the high-performance team coaching program at Life Calibration. Life Calibration: From Burnout to Balance [THA 348]: https://remarkableresults.biz/remarkable-results-radio-podcast/a348/ Mentorship and Self-Development (00:04:54) Shawn discusses the impact of mentors and self-development in his journey as a shop owner. Hobbies (00:06:10) Shawn talks about his hobbies, including aviation. Motivation and Business Culture (00:07:46) Shawn shares his motivation for getting up in the morning and discusses how he creates opportunities for others to thrive and elevates their performance. Advice and Fear (00:11:49) Shawn shares advice on overcoming fear and empowering employees as an owner/CEO. Book Recommendation (00:13:13) Shawn recommends "Hero on a Mission" by Donald Miller and discusses its impact on his perspective as a business owner. Building Business Culture (00:14:50) Shawn discusses the challenges and importance of building a strong business culture from the top down. Culture and Team Dynamics (00:15:40) Discussion on creating a positive work culture and building a cohesive team. Leadership and Vision (00:16:29) The importance of establishing a vision and values from the start, and involving the team in maintaining the culture. Client Experience and Relationship Building (00:19:36) Strategies for understanding and meeting client needs, and building strong client relationships. Adaptability and Change (00:20:47) The significance of embracing change and adapting to business challenges. Leadership Crisis and Team Support (00:21:00) Dealing with unexpected managerial crises and the importance of team support. Personal Development and Skills (00:23:14) The desire for new skills and personal development, such as learning magic tricks. Business Management and Gross Margin (00:24:14) Strategies for managing gross margin and keeping front-end operations efficient. Car Count and Scheduling (00:25:35) Strategies for managing car count, scheduling, and maintaining workflow in the shop. Future Reservations and Client Commitment (00:27:21) The importance of setting future reservations and ensuring client commitment to scheduled appointments. Leadership Communication (00:29:17) Encouraging a shift in language and communication to emphasize the importance of future reservations. Hiring and Relationships (00:30:12) Discussion on hiring and relationships in the workplace, including the impact of personal relationships on work performance. Dream Car (00:31:37) Shawn's dream car and the enjoyment he derives from it. Opening a New Shop (00:32:11) The three important needs for opening a new shop: location, good people, and effective marketing. Marketing Strategy (00:32:33) The success of giving away the first hundred oil changes for free as a marketing strategy. Firing a Customer (00:33:52) A recent incident of firing a customer due to their attitude and behavior at the shop.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections    

• Our Sponsors