Quantcast

Shop Owners Sign Up FREE!
Are you an automotive shop owner or manager looking to network with others in your industry? Don't wait any longer, click this box and sign up to start networking today!
Photo

Hoffman Geoliner 550 Alignment Machine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robbie

Robbie

Posting Member

• Free Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Stillwater Automotive
  • Stillwater, ok
We're about to buy our first alignment machine. We've done front-end work for years, but we've always outsourced the alignments. We're looking at a Hoffman GeoLiner 550 at the recommendation of a local equipment dealer. Has anyone used one that might know the pros and cons? Does anyone have an opinion about Hoffman equipment in general? I guess they're owned by snapon. Does anyone have any other recommendations for alignment equipment?

#2 Spence

Spence

Posting Member

• Free Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Spencer's Auto Inc.
  • Jeffersonville, pa
I have not used the Hoffman 550.

I have used SnapOn, Bear and Hunter. I have been using Hunter for the past 35 years. I would steer clear of the target/camera systems for now.

I would also recommend training. There is a lot more to alignments then just camber, caster and toe!

Where are you located?

Spence

#3 xrac

xrac

Advising Member

• ASO Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Car-x Auto Service
  • Evansville, in
The most important thing for me is fast service on my machine if I have a problem. Locally the Hunter guy will usually be her the same day. No one else in this market has the same kind of service or anyone as close.

#4 Joe Marconi

Joe Marconi

ASO Staff Member

• ASO Staff Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Osceola Garage
  • Baldwin Place, ny
I agree with all the replies. I have used Hunter, Snap On and John Beam thru the years. Hunter is my choice, hands down.

#5 Robbie

Robbie

Posting Member

• Free Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Stillwater Automotive
  • Stillwater, ok
According to our equipment dealer who would also be servicing this system, Hoffman, John Beam, and Snap-On are all made by one company. Does that sound right?

I'd like to try a hunter, but from what everybody in the area says, it's nearly impossible to get the service guys to show up. Apparently the local service and sales reps for hunter in my area have had a pretty high turnover rate for some time.

Spence, why do you say to avoid the target/camera systems?

Edited by Robbie, November 28, 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#6 Spence

Spence

Posting Member

• Free Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Spencer's Auto Inc.
  • Jeffersonville, pa

According to our equipment dealer who would also be servicing this system, Hoffman, John Beam, and Snap-On are all made by one company. Does that sound right?

I know Snap-on and John Beam are. I am not sure Hoffman is as well.

I'd like to try a hunter, but from what everybody in the area says, it's nearly impossible to get the service guys to show up. Apparently the local service and sales reps for hunter in my area have had a pretty high turnover rate for some time.

That may be but the Hunter equipment I have doesn't go down that often. Our guys don't treat it rough either. I've had Hunter service reps say my equipment looks less then a year old when it's over 5. Taking care of good equipment helps keep costs down and profits up,

Spence, why do you say to avoid the target/camera systems?

They have issues in my opinion. I like... no require accurate readings. I have tested both the Hunter and the John Beam/Snap-on and found them to read improperly. Surprisingly both companies have the same fault. I expect in the near future it may be corrected. Until then I wouldn't own one. Their readings also drift to much for my liking.

It's a shame but the public doesn't know this. The BIG push has been for speed in getting the so called "reading for the print out". These readings only have about 25% of what a real alignment readings should have. Marketing to the masses and they are being lead to slaughter.

With the high number of auto service places jumping at these camera machines you should be able to get a good used alignment machine at a good price. Even if you have it overhauled and made like new you'll have a better piece of equipment for less.

Hope that answered your question. If not then hit me up.

Spence

#7 xrac

xrac

Advising Member

• ASO Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Car-x Auto Service
  • Evansville, in

With the high number of auto service places jumping at these camera machines you should be able to get a good used alignment machine at a good price. Even if you have it overhauled and made like new you'll have a better piece of equipment for less.

Spence

We have an older Hunter alignment machine that was overhauled, upgraded, and sold to us by our Hunter service rep.

#8 Robbie

Robbie

Posting Member

• Free Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Stillwater Automotive
  • Stillwater, ok

Spence

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight. We're getting bids on Hoffman machines from a couple of places and then we're going to talk to hunter. I appreciate all the advice.

#9 xrac

xrac

Advising Member

• ASO Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Car-x Auto Service
  • Evansville, in
Talk to the Hunter service rep for your area and see if he would have a used upgraded unit he could sell you. We have always used Hunter but have never owned a new machine. In fourteen years we have had two machines. We used the old unit until it we learned it was soon going to be unable to update it any more. Then we purchased the unit we have now about 6 years ago. We had about $4,000 in the original machine and about $6,000-$8,000 in this one if I remember correctly. That does not include the rack which was a new drive on Rotary. I would love to have a new machine but the cost has been more than we can currently afford. I looked at buying a new machine about 8 months ago. I will probably eventually buy one but it is still a little ways out. I have turned out a lot of dollars on these two used units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users