Quantcast

AC machine and stop leak/containates?

What do you do to protect your machine? Will stop leak ruin your recovery machine? How to protect it?OTC has a filter I bought it but not sure where to install or if it is recomended.I have a CPS Mach 7 I'm not sure if recover is only from the low side? The machine recovers so slow now I hate to slow it down more........And what if you use a refridgerent identifer to see whats in a customers car and it fails the test .What do you do then? will stop leak or air make it fail ?

• 2 years later...

I'm going to resurrect this post, as I have been wondering the same thing.

Our equipment supplier has a ton of stories about stop-leak ruining recovery equipment. Are you guys running any pre-filters on your high/low lines, or how are you testing for stop-leak prior to evac'ing systems?

When I worked at the dealer, we never checked... But the type of cars that come into aftermarket/independent shops are probably more likely to have leak sealant vs. those that go to the dealer...

That being said, I said a little prayer right after I bought my AC machine, praying that I wouldn't get any cars in my shop with a sealant... That's how I protect mine :D

They have some kits out there that just screw on the the service port and create a real tiny leak. If the leak stops, then you know it has sealant... Pretty simple system, I can find the website again with a video if ya need

They have some kits out there that just screw on the the service port and create a real tiny leak. If the leak stops, then you know it has sealant... Pretty simple system, I can find the website again with a video if ya need

Wow. That's a great idea. Yes, please shoot me the video when you have a minute.

Excellent video. However, he did not answer the million dollar question: What do you do when leakseal is detected? It's certainly not recoverable. Vent it to the atmosphere? Put a filter on the recovery machine (do these even work)? Tell the customer tough luck?

We have used the Neutronic's system for a little over two years now. Have caught more then a half dozen with the sealent in the vehicle system before we hook up. I will not let our guys hook up without testing and if they find any trace they are instructed to not hook up any other A/C equipment,

I would recommend purchasing the tester and using it.

Spence

Thanks, Jeff. Good to know, I'm going to ask the rep about an all-in-one unit.

Spence, how do you service A/C systems where you do find sealants, though?

Wes lets think about it for a minute or two here. Just who do you think would put this sealant crap in?

Haha, they're across the counter from you. The fix-o-can from AutoZone didn't work, so now they're at the shop.

Seems you may have a handle on this... So now the question isssssss... Do you want this kind of person as a customer?

Haha, they're across the counter from you. The fix-o-can from AutoZone didn't work, so now they're at the shop.

Another part of your comment is more then likely true as well. You say it didn't work, Explain what you mean by it?

Another part of your comment is more then likely true as well. You say it didn't work, Explain what you mean by it?

Is this a trick questions, because I'm not very good at riddles. The fix-o-can didn't work ... i.e. the leak stop didn't stop the leak / fixed it too late / wasn't the issue in the first place / etc.

Is this a trick questions, because I'm not very good at riddles. The fix-o-can didn't work ... i.e. the leak stop didn't stop the leak / fixed it too late / wasn't the issue in the first place / etc.

Don't mean for it to be a trick question. It was meant to make you think. By answering it you will have come to the conclusion made by your own answers instead of me just saying this is the way it is done. Hell you might not like the way I say it is done and who am I to say something should be done that way in the first place. So if I comment and we discuss it I might turn the light bulb on in your head to a thought of how you want to handle it.

Now to get back to my question. If the leak is not fixed the car probably is low on refrigerant and not cooling as the consumer wants on the hot day they are across your (or my) counter. If it is a leak that is causing it not to work then it will be empty soon and you won't have to recycle it into your machine. There was an "IF" at the beginning of that comment. What does the sealant do? When it works on clogging leaks it will also start clogging up EVAPORATORS and CONDENSERS. If you do not understand A/C systems and are only a shop owner and not a tech then ask your tech what happens if a either or both of these clog up! The system will NOT function properly! Keep that thought for the next paragraph.

I ask you now the same question I did in reply #13. Do you want this person for a customer? Is this a trick question... Well here's some thought.

1. If they are of the cheap kind of customer they are going to eat your lunch if you handle this wrong!

2. If they bought the car this way from a used car lot of private sale you have a chance of making them a customer if you handle it right.

I'll let you dwell on that for a bit... B)

Edited by Spence

Hmmmmm, I've never thought about this type of situation... Can't help but feel you have gone through this before. GRRRRRR, sounds like I need to loosen my grip on my wallet and buy a freaking leak sealant detector kit

Edited by mmotley

Hmmmmm, I've never thought about this type of situation... Can't help but feel you have gone through this before. GRRRRRR, sounds like I need to loosen my grip on my wallet and buy a freaking leak detector kit

Cool so I got you to think. :) So if you have a "CHEAP" consumer... And they installed this crap... For the sake of conversation the leak is a hose... So you drain the half charge left in this system into your equipment, You replace the hose. You did a proper repair and recharge the system with the proper amount of refrigerant but being as the evaperator and/or the condensor is not functioning correctly due to being clogged... This system doesn't cool properly...

Now just who do you think this CHEAP CONSUMER is going to blame for what they feel was a poor service because they now paid for it... Just who do you think they now want fixed for ahhhhhhh... FREE? Oh but you now are back pedaling trying to say they need more parts to fix this vehicle and you want more money...

I said if this is not handled properly they will EAT YOUR LUNCH... Oh yeah and I'm sure they are talking good about you to everyone they know...

How we doing now? B)

Edited by Spence