Quantcast

• 4 years later...

My all data rep says they are working on a vin scanner and a mobile device vin scanner to input the vin into manage as well as mileage, Dom , tag and color. In mentioned it would be nice to have it setup to store photos (say the car is scratched when it comes in) and also the idea of automatically transferring the vin to the part suppliers interface and including it on all p/o's

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No, still typing in VINs. I am looking at Key Link from Advanced and have a demo version that I am using. But, don't know if it has VIN scanner option. The other concern is wireless.

Hi Joe,

Why is the wireless a concern? in what respect?

Thanks,

Edited by Joe Marconi

We use a software called SAGE (along with All Data Manage) to process out our invoices. It has VIN decoding built into the software when you type the license plate. The reason we got the software was because although All Data is very broad in its scope of what it can do, it always seemed like everything took 100 steps to click and type to access. Sage has one click access to a lot of "quick" information we need to do oil changes (weight of oil, # of quarts, tire pressure, tire torque specs, wiper blade sizes, etc.) along with VIN decoding.

RO Writer has the ability to pull the VIN when you input the licenses plate number. This comes through Car Fax. World Pac and Napa have apps for i-phones or other smart phones that will import directly into their online ordering systems and from there you can past into your management systems. The feature in RO Writer has been very useful for us.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several apps on the market that will scan the barcode on the VIN and then email it to you. The one I've used is for my android at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bees4honey.vinscanner

I can scan the barcode, email it to myself and by the time I get to the PC to write up the RO, it's in my email inbox waiting for me to use it to cut and paste into the management program or parts lookup.

As a side note, I'm developing a scanner app that will do just that and start an inspection in our Repair Shop Solutions inspection program.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

In Mitchell1 Manager put your curser in the VIN box pull the trigger on your barcoded reader. No typing required.

The previous shop I worked with bought his barcode reader at site below, the wireless reader worked from service desk to front parking lot.

http://www.barcodehq.com/vinbarcode.html

Wow. That is a powerful, long-distance scanner. I set these up in manufacturing plants during my previous job. They are plug-and-play and trick the computer to think the scanner is a keyboard. They will input the scanned data into whatever field is currently selected. Pretty nice ... I had no idea that they would work at 500+ feet away, though!!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

The CARFAX QuickVIN feature, which turns the license plate to a VIN with complete vin decode information, is available in the majority of shop management systems available today - including those mentioned above: TABS AutoFluent, RO Writer, SAGE. You can find out if the feature is available in your software at https://service.carfax.com/csn/partners

This product is one of the many benefits available to myCARFAX Service Shops - www.mycarfaxserviceshop.com

Thanks,

Thomas

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

The CARFAX QuickVIN feature, which turns the license plate to a VIN with complete vin decode information, is available in the majority of shop management systems available today - including those mentioned above: TABS AutoFluent, RO Writer, SAGE. You can find out if the feature is available in your software at https://service.carfax.com/csn/partners

This product is one of the many benefits available to myCARFAX Service Shops - www.mycarfaxserviceshop.com

Thanks,

Thomas

This feature is absolutely phenomenal. We type in a customers plate number, and it automatically looks up the VIN, engine size, etc. So so so nice.

• Like 1

Hmm I tried the Quickvin and it doesn't work with Mitchell Manager Teamworks SE. I called Mitchell tech support and they never heard of it. Carfax says it works, Mitchell is confused. I'll update if if I get it to work, I was excited to not enter 17 digits over and over all day.

We use the NAPA VIN scanner. When a car arrives, my job is to scan it, assign it to a customer, enter in the mileage and if I choose, enter in any notes be they damage remarks or symptoms. I click enter and they are in my desk laptop in a heartbeat. The pro link then can order parts and I can copy and use in any place the VIN is needed.

This little gadget has speeded things up considerably. I don't have to ask my husband later if it's a 2L or a 2.2L engine. I can order everything using the decoded VIN in advance and even tell him what services are suggested according to the mileage before he has even touched the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

The CARFAX Quick VIN feature is part of our Mobile Manager Pro, our digital multi-point inspection software, which fully integrates with Mitchell1, RO Writer, NAPA TRACS, ALLDATA and Tasco.

Happy to be a part of your product, Mike! Whether you're taking a call or walking around the vehicle, we want shops to be able to have this feature (and more!) wherever they need it.

Scanning vin is cool but don't neglect the visual vehicle under hood and walk around inspection!

Many cars check in with no oil shown on the dipstick, wheel curb damage, warning lights on, steel cord showing on tires etc that get missed if the car is just "scanned". It's often easier to sell the obvious sooner than later.

I like the Bolt On Technology for Mitchell for a few reasons, and though I'm new to it, it helps tremendously with saving time. First, I can put in license plate number and state so VIN comes up automatically. Secondly, it has different multi-point inspections so if your doing a State inspection you can create a specific standard list in sequence that any mechanic can follow and take pictures which can be emailed along with an estimate to a customer. You can also use any of the generic multi-point inspections it includes to find necessary repairs that can be sold. Thirdly, if you are using the MobileManager you can enter license plate number or scan VIN, enter new customer information, go into Mitchell 1 and attach parts and labor and send off to customer through email or text and get a approval to move forward with no phone calls or reservation in having verbal communication with unfriendly customers. It is so seamless that I wonder why I didn't have enough sense to realize this was possible sooner with modern technology.

More of a money saver point, I can attach pictures of the car to the estimate or order so I don't have to pay claims for previous bodily damage that was there when the car came in but the customer didn't realize.

Bottom line: It's easy to use, it saves time from running out with pen and pad to write VIN, plate, mileage, color, etc. The scans and pics are never wrong. It puts the data automatically into your mitchell one or shopkeypro, etc.

• Like 2