Quantcast

j2534 automotive reprogramming

So I am going to jump in the water.....

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to program our first BCM for a 2007 Chevy Truck. I have the J2543 interface, a laptop with the room for the information on it, an account with GM that I will access for two days tomorrow, and a battery maintainer to arrive tomorrow. Just wanting to know if I am missing anything or if you have any suggestions or advice for me.

Thanks,

Richard

• Like 1

So I am going to jump in the water.....

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to program our first BCM for a 2007 Chevy Truck. I have the J2543 interface, a laptop with the room for the information on it, an account with GM that I will access for two days tomorrow, and a battery maintainer to arrive tomorrow. Just wanting to know if I am missing anything or if you have any suggestions or advice for me.

Thanks,

Richard

Once you've done a few it gets a whole lot easier to understand the process. It's actually pretty easy. The J2534 does have a few "holes" that it doesn't cover but they are getting to be fewer and fewer.

Ya want some real fun... try replacing an instrument cluster on an 03 Hummer. Oh man... it's the ONLY time I've ever had to do the re-flash with the engine RUNNING! ! ! yep, the directions actually will tell you to start the vehicle half way through the process.

All in all, programming, re-flashing is a breeze. Fords have their own issues and Dodge has some weird crap ya gotta do.

If you've done a Ford lately you'll find the "as-built-data" has been moved and it's a lot harder to find on the pages of info.

Anyway, it's all about putting down the wrenches and staring at a computer screen these days. Good luck, I'm sure you can handle it.

Gonzo

Ok so here we go on Thursday.....

First, had to go get a battery maintainer ($595.00 from MAC) Yea I know but need in a hurry.

Second, Went to GM and bought a two day subscription ($55.00)

Third, Ran on one of my Windows 10 Lap tops.

Fourth, Tried to hook the Mac Mentor J2534 to the laptop and program.

Ok so this did not work. I got to the point in the software that connects to the interface and it could not find it. Called GM, wait, hold, transfer you know the routine. Finally go a good tech that said I needed to find a driver for the interface. So called Mac, said to call Bosch. Called Bosch, wait, hold, transfer again. Finally was told " no Windows 10 drivers". Another call to GM and have a MDI2 coming ($750.00 plus shipping).

Now Monday, MDI 2 arrives. Hook up to laptop, install drivers, can not see....

Another call to GM. Laptop must be Windows 10 Pro and an Intel I-3, I-5 or I-7 chip.

Run to local store, buy cheapest Dell with Windows 10 Home and I-3. ($300.00)

Get back to shop, Run laptop setup and get to main screen (20 min of removing crap)

Purchase Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft on line and install ($109.00)

Have 30 min left in day. Oh well lets try this.

Go to GM and use Promo code they gave me to get to software(Great company by the way as when I told them what happened they gave me code so as not to have to buy another subscription for two days at $55)

Hook MDI 2 to computer and it sees it. Yea. Follow prompts on screen and software in the new MDI 2 I just go was out of date. Started download and as it was going to take 20 min, I closed up the shop and went to the bank. Came back and software update done. Ran SPS, Found BCM, Programed (took 5 mins)

When I clicked on the "complete" everything just came on. Man was that slick.

So after a week and $1800.00 I programed my new BCM.

Just can't wait for the next one...Yea Really

Richard

• Like 2

We have no Mobil service here. It is either take it to the dealer or one other local shop that programs. Over $200 each time plus towing (know they have you and can get whatever they want). I have done 10 so far this year between both shops so decided to jump in. Should recoup from our shops and other ones when they find out we can do them. May even create a mobile service after we get comfortable with it.

Richard

• Like 1

We were one of if not the first independent shop in the area to start flashing, back in 2003. Did this for a few years and it got to be too much of a pain in the ass. Gotta update so much, pay the programming subscriptions, the issues with programming certain models etc. Now, we use a mobile service, no headaches, much happier.

It take a little getting used to. I have drewtech j2534, plus many factory interfaces. I have three laptops with hard drives that I sway out depending on the software. BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, JLR, ect, found it better to have multiple different hard drives as most software didn't play nice together on the same machine. I originally did it with virtualization but the performance hit was to much. Its been a big learning curve and a lot of investment. Not sure if I've made my money back in programing fees but I'm building a reputation of being the shop that does stuff others can not. I've gotten lots of jobs from other shops by doing this as some customers have decided to keep their service here. Its almost too complicated for what its worth unless you focus on one particular manufacturer. But its the way the industry is going. It seems hard enough for the OE manufacturers to build software platforms that can properly access all the generations of software and modules they've made for the last two decades. I don't think we can expect aftermarket companies to continue to do it well. Its insane how many cars I hookup my Snapon Verus to and it can't read half the modules. OE software is the only way to know you've got all the tools you need.

• Like 1

I wish I was online and read this. Could've solved most issues for you rather quickly. If anyone has questions on programming, feel free to contact me. If you need a laptop setup or need help in finding the right device to program modules, I'm more than happy to help. I'm located in Orland Park, IL as well, for those that need programming done. I'm mobile and program modules for shops.

• 4 weeks later...

I take them to the dealer. Last one I tried programming I screwed up a new key for a 2013 Nissan. Drove in, towed away. Lesson learned. Not all functions on aftermarket scanners work as well as the factory scan tool. The only way to know is when something goes wrong, and that ruins my day.

I take them to the dealer. Last one I tried programming I screwed up a new key for a 2013 Nissan. Drove in, towed away. Lesson learned. Not all functions on aftermarket scanners work as well as the factory scan tool. The only way to know is when something goes wrong, and that ruins my day.

This is a yes and no response.

True, not all aftermarket scanners function the same as factory tools.

However, I have around 7 scan tools for different purposes/functions, including OE factory tools.

You have to learn and read about programming. Every car and model is different. Just like replacing a part on a car. Some cars require different steps/procedures to replace that one part.

If you can get into programming, it's the future of the auto business.

I just read an an advertisement in one of the trade journals that might be the ticket for many of us when the need for flashing increases. A company called Drew Technologies has a system they refer to as RAP [remote assisted programming. I believe they lease you the box that you plug in the car and it connects with their company and they remotely re-flash the car. Have no idea about pricing etc. It would eliminate the need for any OEM subscriptions.

Check it out at http://www.drewtech.com/.

The guys at drewtech are awesome to work with! We'll be looking at their product over the next few years. With right to repair it's a very real possibility their tool will offer OE diagnostic software and programming on a daily,weekly,monthly,yearly license. That would be amazing!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so here we go on Thursday.....

First, had to go get a battery maintainer ($595.00 from MAC) Yea I know but need in a hurry.

Second, Went to GM and bought a two day subscription ($55.00)

Third, Ran on one of my Windows 10 Lap tops.

Fourth, Tried to hook the Mac Mentor J2534 to the laptop and program.

Ok so this did not work. I got to the point in the software that connects to the interface and it could not find it. Called GM, wait, hold, transfer you know the routine. Finally go a good tech that said I needed to find a driver for the interface. So called Mac, said to call Bosch. Called Bosch, wait, hold, transfer again. Finally was told " no Windows 10 drivers". Another call to GM and have a MDI2 coming ($750.00 plus shipping).

Now Monday, MDI 2 arrives. Hook up to laptop, install drivers, can not see....

Another call to GM. Laptop must be Windows 10 Pro and an Intel I-3, I-5 or I-7 chip.

Run to local store, buy cheapest Dell with Windows 10 Home and I-3. ($300.00)

Get back to shop, Run laptop setup and get to main screen (20 min of removing crap)

Purchase Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft on line and install ($109.00)

Have 30 min left in day. Oh well lets try this.

Go to GM and use Promo code they gave me to get to software(Great company by the way as when I told them what happened they gave me code so as not to have to buy another subscription for two days at $55)

Hook MDI 2 to computer and it sees it. Yea. Follow prompts on screen and software in the new MDI 2 I just go was out of date. Started download and as it was going to take 20 min, I closed up the shop and went to the bank. Came back and software update done. Ran SPS, Found BCM, Programed (took 5 mins)

When I clicked on the "complete" everything just came on. Man was that slick.

So after a week and $1800.00 I programed my new BCM.

Just can't wait for the next one...Yea Really

Richard

That is awesome that you stuck with it. Had a chevy van that we did a bunch of work on and it then needed a new ECM and needed to get programmed. Sucked that I had to get that thing towed to the dealer. I just ordered the Maxisys Elite, comes with the interface and looking to start reflashing as well

That is awesome that you stuck with it. Had a chevy van that we did a bunch of work on and it then needed a new ECM and needed to get programmed. Sucked that I had to get that thing towed to the dealer. I just ordered the Maxisys Elite, comes with the interface and looking to start reflashing as well

Be careful with the Maxisys J2534 programmer. They don't list what pins has certain manufacturer protocols. You have a higher risk of messing up a module with it. Also, if a module gets damaged, you won't receive support through the auto manufacturer (GM, Ford, etc), as the MaxiFlash isn't a recommended/approved device.

• Like 1

Be careful with the Maxisys J2534 programmer. They don't list what pins has certain manufacturer protocols. You have a higher risk of messing up a module with it. Also, if a module gets damaged, you won't receive support through the auto manufacturer (GM, Ford, etc), as the MaxiFlash isn't a recommended/approved device.

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up

We opened our shop in April 16. I bought a Drewtech box, and its been great. I've only done 1 GM, and 2 Chryslers. So the tool hasn't exactly paid for itself yet, however the look on peoples faces when you tell them you can do OE level programming is great. Especially for our shop since we are located out in the country where you get a lot of Billy Bob's Repair type of garages that can't do much more than basic brakes and tires. It was really nice one time when a customer had accidentally left the key on in their vehicle overnight. When they charged the battery, the vehicle had an ABS light and airbag light on for VIN Mismatch. We were able to just rewrite the vin in the control for them and fix the light.

@Peter94, the Cardaq can be used for OEM diagnostics. You can use it for much more than just programming. I have subscriptions and what not to diagnose GM, Toyota, Honda, etc using my Cardaq. PM me for more info. I'm not a fan of using the snap-on handheld scanners and what not. Using OE or as close to it has been quicker, easier and more efficient for when I help shops.