Quantcast

Who Is Your Ideal Client ??

Shopcat

Ted Turner said it best, “Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise”. As summer gives way to fall, marketing becomes more important. Many shops slow down on their marketing as business slows down. This is exactly the time to invest in continued marketing. It’s an opportunity to market while your competition is not. Many shops do reactionary marketing because they don’t have a formal plan. This type of hit and miss approach can be a waste of precious marketing efforts and dollars.

Developing a personalized marketing plan will be well worth your time and effort. About 80 % of auto retail dollars are spent at 20 % of the available shops. The reason is these shops understand exactly who their clients are and they market to those clients with a very organized and focused approach.

The first step to a great marketing plan is to know your target market. You can begin by using your operating system to run reports that reveal your client base. Look at things like who has spent more than $500.00 with you in the last year. What kind of vehicle do they drive? Where do they live? What is their zip code? If you are active in your shop you can probably think of ten to twenty great clients off the top of your head. Have your service advisors put together a list of their favorite clients too. Assemble all the information into a master list. Look at this list and determine what these clients have in common. What type of vehicles do they drive? Why do they use your shop? Use the information to develop a survey that asks the questions you want answers to. Begin targeting your specific clients.

Here is an example of a survey to get you started, but it’s important to tailor it to your shop:

Dear Valued Customer,

Here at “your shop’s name”, we are constantly striving to provide the very best customer service. If you could take a moment and share your input, we would greatly appreciate it.

What is the most important thing you consider when deciding where you will get your vehicle repaired?

• Price
  • Warranty
  • Professional, friendly staff
  • Other ____________________________________________

What radio station, tv channel, and social media do you prefer?

• TV channel ___________
  • Radio Station _________
  • Social Media __________ (examples, Facebook, Twitter, Google +)

Have you or would you be comfortable referring family or friends to our shop and why?

Name the top 3 most important things you expect from a repair facility?

If you would like, we can add your name to our in-house mailing list. From time to time, we have specials for our customers only. This information is for our use only.

• Name and address _________________________________________
  • Email address _____________________________________________

What could we do to improve our business and make your experience better?

Thank you for taking some of your valuable personal time in order to help us understand your needs better. If you have any other input, or if I can be of any assistance to you, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

“Your Name”

“Your Shop’s Name”

You and your staff should only give the survey to good clients. You do not need any input from undesirable folks. My next article will cover how to use this information to develop an action plan and ACCELERATE YOUR SUCCESS !!!

View full article

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      I recently spoke with a friend of mine who owns a large general repair shop in the Midwest. His father founded the business in 1975. He was telling me that although he’s busy, he’s also very frustrated. When I probed him more about his frustrations, he said that it’s hard to find qualified technicians. My friend employs four technicians and is looking to hire two more. I then asked him, “How long does a technician last working for you.” He looked puzzled and replied, “I never really thought about that, but I can tell that except for one tech, most technicians don’t last working for me longer than a few years.”
      Judging from personal experience as a shop owner and from what I know about the auto repair industry, I can tell you that other than a few exceptions, the turnover rate for technicians in our industry is too high. This makes me think, do we have a technician shortage or a retention problem? Have we done the best we can over the decades to provide great pay plans, benefits packages, great work environments, and the right culture to ensure that the techs we have stay with us?
      Finding and hiring qualified automotive technicians is not a new phenomenon. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember. While we do need to attract people to our industry and provide the necessary training and mentorship, we also need to focus on retention. Having a revolving door and needing to hire techs every few years or so costs your company money. Big money! And that revolving door may be a sign of an even bigger issue: poor leadership, and poor employee management skills.
      Here’s one more thing to consider, for the most part, technicians don’t leave one job to start a new career, they leave one shop as a technician to become a technician at another shop. The reasons why they leave can be debated, but there is one fact that we cannot deny, people don’t quit the company they work for, they usually leave because of the boss or manager they work for.
      Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees. Do you have a workplace that communicates, “We appreciate you and want you to stay!”
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      What if there's a fire in your shop? An oil spill? A natural disaster or God forbid, a death? How do you prepare for that? Well, This week, Hunt talks about preparing for the unexpected:
      Vision Expo: Hunt shares experiences and insights from attending the Vision Expo in Kansas City, emphasizing the importance of community and industry events. Importance of Preparedness: The significance of being ready for unforeseen incidents, such as theft or natural disasters, affecting auto repair shops. Insights from Roundtable Discussions and Classes: Valuable lessons from discussions and classes, including managing risks and implementing preventive measures. Understanding Insurance Coverages: The necessity of comprehending what business insurance covers, identifying coverage gaps, and making sure you have comprehensive protection. Preventive Measures Against Risks: Steps to minimize risks associated with fires, accidents, and other potential threats to auto repair shops. Contingency Planning: The need for having a solid contingency plan to tackle unexpected situations effectively. Financial Readiness and Strategic Planning: Emphasizes the role of financial preparedness and strategic planning in fostering long-term success and stability for auto repair shop owners.  
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive

Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      This week, Hunt takes a deep dive into the hot-button issue of price increases within the auto repair sector. He offers a nuanced examination of vendor pricing, market dynamics, and the psychological elements of setting rates in your business. With examples from real-life scenarios, this episode is a treasure trove for auto repair shop owners striving for balance between profitability and customer loyalty in today’s volatile economic climate.
      • The Psychology of Pricing: Unpacking the reaction to vendor price increases and what it reveals about our own pricing strategies.
      • Market Dynamics: Exploring the balance between cost, value, and competition in the auto repair industry.
      • Strategic Decision-Making: How to navigate the complexities of pricing decisions to ensure business growth and sustainability.
      • Real-Life Examples: Actual examples from a shop owners' group debate to illustrate broader industry challenges.
      Thanks to our partners, NAPA TRACS and Promotive
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Get a copy of my Book: Download Here
      Aftermarket Radio Network
    • By carmcapriotto
      Mike Ragsdale is the founder of the 30a Company, and he has an incredible story of being called out by his kids when they got tired of hearing him talk about his dream life without ever pursuing it. This is an incredibly inspiring episode that may result in you exploring how you can create a life you don’t need to escape from.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• Our Sponsors